Old September 8th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SR SR is offline

Default Space Shuttle Frequencies

Hello everyone: The Space shuttle suppose to take off on Friday Sept.
8th at 11:41pm EST.

I have the ICOM R75 Shortwave radio. Which frequency should I listen to?

73

Steven.
Old September 8th 06, 11:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2006-09-08 01:35:16 -0400, SR said:

Hello everyone: The Space shuttle suppose to take off on Friday Sept.
8th at 11:41pm EST.

I have the ICOM R75 Shortwave radio. Which frequency should I listen to?

73

Steven.

Try this:

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/mttopHF.html

Old September 8th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SR SR is offline

Thank you but, all I see for NASA is:

5180 NASA Space Shuttle SRB Recovery Net Atlantic Ocean

5190 NASA Space Shuttle SRB Recovery Net Atlantic Ocean

Is that what I suppose to listen too?

THX, SR

Old September 8th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SR SR is offline

Well I tuned to 5190 USB, 5180 USB & 1078.00 USB on my ICOM R75 and my
GRUNDIG SATELIT 800 and no signals. My location is New York City and
using a fiberglass whip on a 6 floor building with good clearance on the
North and East. About 7 miles from the Atlantic ocean.

BTW: How many watts of tranmission do the ground base in Florida use?

And do the astronauts also talk on those FRQ?

Steven
73

FROM: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sh...ain/index.html

Atlantis' Launch Scrubbed Due to ECO Sensor Problem

Sept. 8, 10:54 a.m. EDT
The launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis has been scrubbed until Saturday
due to a problem with one of the vehicle's fuel system sensors. The new
launch time is targeted for 11:14 a.m. EDT.

Old September 8th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

SR wrote:

Well I tuned to 5190 USB, 5180 USB & 1078.00 USB on my ICOM R75 and my
GRUNDIG SATELIT 800 and no signals. My location is New York City and
using a fiberglass whip on a 6 floor building with good clearance on the
North and East. About 7 miles from the Atlantic ocean.

BTW: How many watts of tranmission do the ground base in Florida use?

And do the astronauts also talk on those FRQ?

The Shuttle does not use HF. Where you might hear a re-transmission of the
Shuttle and ground control is on the relays provided by WA3NAN at the Goddard
Space Flight Center in Maryland on amateur radio frequencies.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old September 8th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dont try to push me,you mommas little sissy.I will click on the NASA
Radio tv channel whenever (but if you want to pay my DirectumTV bill
every month,then you tell me what to watch) I feel/thought about it and
99 times out of 99,I never think about,NASA! YOU ARE BROKEN! (Popular
Mechanics or Popular Science magazine a few years ago,,, Look it up) If
the Space Shuttle lifts off I will catch it on one of the local Jackson
tv news channels.Bite Me!
cuhulin

Old September 8th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2006-09-08 13:05:43 -0400, dxAce said:

SR wrote:

Well I tuned to 5190 USB, 5180 USB & 1078.00 USB on my ICOM R75 and my
GRUNDIG SATELIT 800 and no signals. My location is New York City and
using a fiberglass whip on a 6 floor building with good clearance on the
North and East. About 7 miles from the Atlantic ocean.

BTW: How many watts of tranmission do the ground base in Florida use?

And do the astronauts also talk on those FRQ?

The Shuttle does not use HF. Where you might hear a re-transmission of the
Shuttle and ground control is on the relays provided by WA3NAN at the Goddard
Space Flight Center in Maryland on amateur radio frequencies.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Correct but some of the support ships DO use HF. SRB recovery, cape radio, etc.

WA3NAN is great when they are on the air.

Old September 8th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2006-09-08 13:05:43 -0400, dxAce said:

SR wrote:

Well I tuned to 5190 USB, 5180 USB & 1078.00 USB on my ICOM R75 and my
GRUNDIG SATELIT 800 and no signals. My location is New York City and
using a fiberglass whip on a 6 floor building with good clearance on the
North and East. About 7 miles from the Atlantic ocean.

BTW: How many watts of tranmission do the ground base in Florida use?

And do the astronauts also talk on those FRQ?

The Shuttle does not use HF. Where you might hear a re-transmission of the
Shuttle and ground control is on the relays provided by WA3NAN at the Goddard
Space Flight Center in Maryland on amateur radio frequencies.

Correct but some of the support ships DO use HF.

I didn't mean to imply that they did not.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old September 9th 06, 12:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2006-09-08 13:05:43 -0400, dxAce said:

SR wrote:

Well I tuned to 5190 USB, 5180 USB & 1078.00 USB on my ICOM R75 and my
GRUNDIG SATELIT 800 and no signals. My location is New York City and
using a fiberglass whip on a 6 floor building with good clearance on the
North and East. About 7 miles from the Atlantic ocean.

BTW: How many watts of tranmission do the ground base in Florida use?

And do the astronauts also talk on those FRQ?

The Shuttle does not use HF. Where you might hear a re-transmission of the
Shuttle and ground control is on the relays provided by WA3NAN at the Goddard
Space Flight Center in Maryland on amateur radio frequencies.

Correct but some of the support ships DO use HF.

I didn't mean to imply that they did not.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

It's all good my friend!

Old September 9th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

George H. Diller
Kennedy Space Center
March 24, 1996
KSC Release No. 51-97 (Note 1)

Space Shuttle air-to-ground communication is transmitted on one of two
designated S-band frequencies. Because the S-Band voice is digitized, it is
unintelligible.

When the orbiter is above the horizon, air-to-ground voice on the UHF band
can be heard either on 259.7 mhz or 296.8 mhz. However these frequencies
are primarily used only during launch and landing. It will, of course, be
necessary to know if and when the Space Shuttle will be above the horizon at
your location.

Unless you are near a NASA tracking station, you will hear only the
"downlink," or one side of the conversation, which will be the astronauts
talking to ground controllers.

On some missions, the Space Shuttle's orbital inclination is 28.45 degrees,
meaning the orbiter travels no farther north in the U.S. than the latitude
of Cape Canaveral, the Canary Islands in the Atlantic Ocean region or Midway
Island in the Pacific, which limits geographical voice coverage. However,
flights which rendezvous with the Russian Mir Space Station and many
scientific Space Shuttle missions have higher inclinations, ranging between
39 degrees and 57 degrees. At these inclinations, voice may be heard as far
north as the Gulf of Alaska, Hudson Bay in Canada, and the Hebrides in
Scotland.

During all Space Shuttle flights, air-to-ground voice (both uplink and
downlink) and video from the orbiter are transmitted on NASA Television
which is a C-band satellite transmission on GE-2, Transponder 9C, (3880.0
mhz). This is a geostationary satellite with an orbital location of 85
degrees West. Audio only is also available on 6.8 mhz. GE-2 can be received
in all 50 states and much of Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. While the
Space Shuttle is in orbit, this system is always broadcasting. The signal
is not encoded, or scrambled, and may be picked up with a home satellite
receiver. Some cable television companies carry it, at least on a limited
basis.

The Space Shuttle on-orbit communications through the Tracking and Data
Relay Satellite (TDRS) system uses S-band and K-band. This is encoded and
also transmitted digitally, so it is not possible for a home satellite
system to receive air-to-ground voice or television from TDRS.

The Amateur Radio Club at the Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt,
Maryland, WA3NAN, retransmits the air-to-ground Space Shuttle
communications on shortwave frequencies. The best reception on each
frequency will vary based on the time of day. The frequencies a

3.860 mhz
7.185 mhz
14.295 mhz
21.395 mhz
28.650 mhz

Some amateur radio organizations retransmit NASA Television or mission
audio. As an example, an amateur radio FM transmitter, located on Merritt
Island near Gate 2 at the Kennedy Space Center, retransmits Space Shuttle
air-to-ground communications on 146.94 mhz. Mission Audio is also
transmitted by the amateur radio club at the Goddard Space Flight Center on
frequency 147.45 mhz, and by the club at the Johnson Space Center in Houston
on 146.64 mhz. The signals can be received for about 25 miles. An amateur
television transmitter (ATV) in Cocoa, Fla., retransmits NASA Television on
421.25 mhz. This can be received with a normal cable-ready television set
on Channel 57 by using an external antenna. The signal can be received for
at least 20 miles.

Transmitters of various power on other frequencies are provided by local
amateur radio organizations in cities around the country. A list of amateur
retransmissions of audio or video/audio from NASA TV is available on the
Worldwide Web at http://shuttleaudio.info (Note 3).

Some Space Shuttle missions also carry amateur radio transmitters called
SAREX (Shuttle Amateur Radio Experiment). As the schedule permits, amateur
radio operators can have their call sign confirmed directly by an astronaut.
When the flight crew is busy, a "computer packet module" will automatically
transmit a computer message. For further information on the SAREX program
frequencies, contact the American Radio Relay League, 225 Main Street,
Newington, CT 06111, (860) 594-0200.

A SAREX Worldwide Web Page from the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center may be
found at http://www.arrl.org/ARISS

Shuttle Frequencies [email protected] Scanner 2 July 5th 06 08:00 PM
International Space Station School Contacts on Oct 5th, 6th 7th g3zhi General 1 October 5th 05 12:26 PM
Possible HF freqs for Space Shuttle rebroadcasts [email protected] Shortwave 1 July 15th 05 12:31 PM
Space shuttle Speez Scanner 1 December 26th 04 05:19 AM
can space shuttle video be recieved on the IC-R3??? Mediaguy500 Scanner 5 June 13th 04 06:26 AM