Old September 25th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Low-RF Computer?

Check with www.velocitymicro.com and tell them what you are looking
for in the way of a computer.They build high quality custom computers.I
Own one I bought about two and a half years ago,a Velocity Micro
ProMagix computer.It cost me $1,290.00 plus S&H,but I consider it money
well spent.
cuhulin

Old September 25th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I'm looking to replace the computer at my listening post, and would like to
find out if any certain brand of computer is known to have a low RF output.
I get a lot of noise on the SW bands from my existing PC (Micron) and leave
it off most of the time, which defeats the purpose.

What I'd like to do is replace with a low RF and acoustically quiet model,
and then get a flat-panel LCD screen and wireless keyboard and mouse. Any
problems with RF noise from wireless devices such as those?

Comments, experiences, etc. all welcomed.

Old September 25th 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Wireless keyboard and mouse. www.gyration.com I bought my mini
wireless Gyration keyboard and mouse at an Office Depot store.I paid
$118.00 plus Mississippi Rip Off sales taxes.
cuhulin

Old September 25th 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:40:14 -0400, "DesignGuy"
wrote:

I'm looking to replace the computer at my listening post, and would like to
find out if any certain brand of computer is known to have a low RF output.
I get a lot of noise on the SW bands from my existing PC (Micron) and leave
it off most of the time, which defeats the purpose.

What I'd like to do is replace with a low RF and acoustically quiet model,
and then get a flat-panel LCD screen and wireless keyboard and mouse. Any
problems with RF noise from wireless devices such as those?

Comments, experiences, etc. all welcomed.

If you could afford, get a Tempest certified PC, failing that, try to
find one that meets FCC Class B standards. The A standard is pretty
noisy, and I have never seen a CRT that says it is class A, actually
meet the Class A standard (and I've spent a lot of time on an FCC
certified Test range). CRT's are the main culprit. The saw tooth
horizontal oscillator output is a fabulous interference generator.
Old September 26th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the tip on FCC class B standards....

I was planning on using a flat panel LCD screen for that reason, anything to
look for with LCD units?

Old September 26th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Patent: Kill a Hard Disk Instantly via Internet.
www.cryptome.org/index.html

If you want to build your own mega server,look in the September 2006
Popular Science magazine.Never lose data files again,the article claims.
I never have any data in my computer worth saving.I have another way of
doing that.
cuhulin

Old September 26th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

DesignGuy wrote:
I'm looking to replace the computer at my listening post, and would like to
find out if any certain brand of computer is known to have a low RF output.
I get a lot of noise on the SW bands from my existing PC (Micron) and leave
it off most of the time, which defeats the purpose.

What I'd like to do is replace with a low RF and acoustically quiet model,
and then get a flat-panel LCD screen and wireless keyboard and mouse. Any
problems with RF noise from wireless devices such as those?

Comments, experiences, etc. all welcomed.

Avoid the wireless KB and mouse..
My last set splattered "digital" pulse noise all over the place. Ugh!
I could clearly hear the mouse splatter in the 10/11M bands everytime I
moved the mouse.
Old September 28th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Heterodyne" wrote
Avoid the wireless KB and mouse..
My last set splattered "digital" pulse noise all over the place. Ugh! I
could clearly hear the mouse splatter in the 10/11M bands everytime I
moved the mouse.

That's because yours operates in the 27mhz band.

Then my IR remotes must all be operating on 1mhz using spread spectrum
frequency hopping technology.

Old September 28th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Used to be two ratings for computers -- one was a low radiation type
Can't find it on Google

Also Laptops offer a means of good shielding and several are low noise

And if you search the web - you can find several tips as how to quiet down
your computer

Try URL:
http://www.ac6v.com/comprfi.htm

CL

Old September 28th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Seeing-I-dawg" ) writes:
"Heterodyne" wrote
Avoid the wireless KB and mouse..
My last set splattered "digital" pulse noise all over the place. Ugh! I
could clearly hear the mouse splatter in the 10/11M bands everytime I
moved the mouse.

That's because yours operates in the 27mhz band.

Then my IR remotes must all be operating on 1mhz using spread spectrum
frequency hopping technology.

If you're talking actual IR, then of course they are infrared. And if you
mean remote controls, then I think it's safe to say that they all use IR at
this point. (There was a time when tv remotes used ultrasonic sound,
and recently I read of an old tv remote that did use radio.)

It's worth pointing out that most bits of equipment using IR for
a wire free connection tend to modulate the IR emitter with a "carrier"
that's above audio frequencies, such as in the 40KHz range. Those tend
to include harmonics, so if you hold an IR remote next to an antenna,
you are likely to hear something; of course it depends on the unit and
how many times the actual frequency you are listening to.

But, at least some of those wireless keyboards and mice use 27MHz.
They say so right in the flyer. Presumably they use radio rather than IR
so there's no issue with line of sight, and 27MHz has been allocated for
low power use for decades (and may be a lot safer for the use now with
a lot of the traffic presumably out of there). It's still low enough
in frequency to be cheap to work with.

I imagine other wireless keyboards and mice might use higher frequencies,
using some other allocation for low power license free use.

Michael