Old September 28th 06, 09:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default NEED Beacon shows up on 505 KHz

Anyone else hearing this beacon? "NEED". I've been listening to the newly
authorized hams on the 600M band and this beacon shows up.
I'm in western NC- 7' shielded/amplified loop + homebrew RX.

Dale W4OP

Old September 28th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Al Al is offline

Hello Dale,

In Yahoo Groups NDBLIST, there is a pretty good thread about W2DXSH/20
(strange call) transmitting test signal on 506kHz. I did not see anything
about NEED. The tests are coming from near Oregon. This beacon group would
know, and would like to know, about any transmissions in this frequency
area.

Al KA5JGV
San Antonio, TX

Old September 28th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Al" wrote in message
Sorry, the call is WD2XSH not W2.....
Al

Hi Al,
I am active on the 600M reflector- so far no one knows where this is coming
from. Definitely not part of the experimental group.
All of the experimental group have the same call followed by a / and 2
digits.
Dale W4OP

Old September 29th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dale Parfitt wrote:
Anyone else hearing this beacon? "NEED". I've been listening to the newly
authorized hams on the 600M band and this beacon shows up.
I'm in western NC- 7' shielded/amplified loop + homebrew RX.

Dale W4OP

Tonight (2006 09 28) at about 23:30Z I am picking up a very weak signal
on 503.6KHz. I am rearranging my radio room and antennas, so I am
using my field radio and antenna. A DX398 and a random wire, about 40'
long, at a 6' elevation.

There is too much QRN to tell if there is any modulation on the
carrier.

I am located between Lexington KY and the KY river.

Terry

Old September 29th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
ups.com...

Dale Parfitt wrote:
Anyone else hearing this beacon? "NEED". I've been listening to the newly
authorized hams on the 600M band and this beacon shows up.
I'm in western NC- 7' shielded/amplified loop + homebrew RX.

Dale W4OP

Tonight (2006 09 28) at about 23:30Z I am picking up a very weak signal
on 503.6KHz. I am rearranging my radio room and antennas, so I am
using my field radio and antenna. A DX398 and a random wire, about 40'
long, at a 6' elevation.

There is too much QRN to tell if there is any modulation on the
carrier.

I am located between Lexington KY and the KY river.

Terry

OK Terry,
Keep me informed if you will. NEED has been heard in TN, NC and OH.
WD2XSH/10 is now 589 copy on 504.5 KHz. 0321 UTC.
Can't wait for the season to quiet down and see how loud the west coast WD2
stations are.
Dale W4OP

Old September 29th 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dale Parfitt wrote:
Anyone else hearing this beacon? "NEED". I've been listening to the newly
authorized hams on the 600M band and this beacon shows up.
I'm in western NC- 7' shielded/amplified loop + homebrew RX.

I wonder if this is actually the "inverse" of something else?

Plotting it out on a spreadsheet it looks like the inverse of "JI".
Which really doesn't make any more sense than "NEED"!

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old September 29th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message
Dale Parfitt wrote:
Anyone else hearing this beacon? "NEED". I've been listening to the newly
authorized hams on the 600M band and this beacon shows up.
I'm in western NC- 7' shielded/amplified loop + homebrew RX.

I wonder if this is actually the "inverse" of something else?

Plotting it out on a spreadsheet it looks like the inverse of "JI". Which
really doesn't make any more sense than "NEED"!

Hi Doug,
Interesting concept. On AM though, the 1000KHz tone clearly spells out NEED.
In there again last night after sunset.
I was hoping enough readers of this group would try to copy it that we could
find its location. If anyone hears it during the daytime, please report with
your 6 character grid square

Dale W4OP

tards been busy marc Policy 3 July 15th 06 05:38 AM
CNN, BBC to air Communist China Propaganda TV Shows whiskybarrel Shortwave 1 June 25th 05 07:50 PM
non-directional navigation beacon location techique question [email protected] Shortwave 21 April 22nd 05 12:47 AM
Latest Online Oldies shows on Rock-it Radio BennieDingo Broadcasting 0 February 19th 05 09:04 PM
Latest 50's Rock and Roll Shows Online Rockitradio Broadcasting 0 August 14th 04 12:20 AM