Old October 4th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Interesting BPL comment...

The way to fix that is Turn ALL bpl OFF and leave it OFF.
cuhulin

Old October 4th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

fcc = Fuming Commie Commies.Well,let them FUME! Speaking for meself,I
Don't Want bpl! I am Much Smarter and Much More Intelligent than any and
All of those fcc = Fuming Commie Commies bunch of little Sissys.
cuhulin

Old October 4th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Dick Chisel" wrote in message
m...

Interesting! In my opinion, "Blatant, misguided economics" seems to be
about as close as you can come to saying "The fix is in" and "Payola"
without actually saying it.

Welcome to the return of the "Whorehouse Years" at the FCC...

Well, he said "blatant, misguided partisan economics". Money need not be
the only consideration. Votes are the ulitmate currency in the partisan
economy.

And, if BPL works, it will be a hell of alot more popular than Ham Radio
with the general public.

Frank Dresser

Old October 4th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Frank Dresser wrote:
"Dick Chisel" wrote in message
m...
Interesting! In my opinion, "Blatant, misguided economics" seems to be
about as close as you can come to saying "The fix is in" and "Payola"
without actually saying it.

Welcome to the return of the "Whorehouse Years" at the FCC...

Well, he said "blatant, misguided partisan economics". Money need not be
the only consideration. Votes are the ulitmate currency in the partisan
economy.

Money or votes-NOT the point. Possibly being on the take (for whatever
type of compensation)and thus wrecking the SWL bands IS the point.

And, if BPL works, it will be a hell of alot more popular than Ham Radio
with the general public.

....and it will wipe out a hell of a lot of the short wave listening bands.

P.S.

The "newer" BPL systems notch out the ham bands and may not even be an
issue at all for the hams; however, the SWL bands -won't- be notched
out. Ultimately, it will hurt the SWLs way more than the hams.
Old October 5th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Frank Dresser wrote:
"Dick Chisel" wrote in message
m...
Interesting! In my opinion, "Blatant, misguided economics" seems to be
about as close as you can come to saying "The fix is in" and "Payola"
without actually saying it.

Welcome to the return of the "Whorehouse Years" at the FCC...

Well, he said "blatant, misguided partisan economics". Money need not

be
the only consideration. Votes are the ulitmate currency in the partisan
economy.

Money or votes-NOT the point. Possibly being on the take (for whatever
type of compensation)and thus wrecking the SWL bands IS the point.

OK, why would anybody have to be on the take? Is there any evidence of FCC
corruption, or is this all speculation? After all, they can justify all
thier actions with the "Greatest good for the greatest number" arguement,
that is -- BPL brings broadband access to otherwise inaccessable areas, BPL
brings increased competition with the existing broadband providers, etc.

All the FCCs recent actions prove is that they no longer care much about
long distance radio reception.

And, if BPL works, it will be a hell of alot more popular than Ham Radio
with the general public.

...and it will wipe out a hell of a lot of the short wave listening bands.

Why should the FCC care? You care and I care but I think we'd have a hard
time finding enough other people who'd get a congressman's attention.

P.S.

The "newer" BPL systems notch out the ham bands and may not even be an
issue at all for the hams; however, the SWL bands -won't- be notched
out. Ultimately, it will hurt the SWLs way more than the hams.

Don't kid yourself. In the unlikely event that BPL somehow becomes
workable, the FCC will happily give the spectrum to the BPL providers,
either by cowardly non-enforcement or by rewriting their interference
regulations.

Remember, the FCC DOES NOT CARE MUCH ABOUT LONG DISTANCE RADIO RECEPTION.

And there might not be enough of us to make them care.

Frank Dresser

Old October 5th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

www.vivisimo.com fcc Corruption

AlertNet: Rotten,Old Fashioned CORRUPTION at fcc
cuhulin

Old October 5th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Frank Dresser wrote:

OK, why would anybody have to be on the take? Is there any evidence of FCC
corruption, or is this all speculation?

Well, they don't -have- to be on the take; it is just speculation.

However, what was remarkable (to me) was that an ARRL official (who,
presumably, is much more in touch with the issue than you or I) came out
and seemed to stop just short of accusing them of being on the take. And
please keep this in the context of an FCC Commissioner from the 1950s
outright admitting that the FCC -was- on the take during the color
standards war and the VHF/UHF war. (HIS quote: "We called them the
'whorehouse years'").

Furthermore, the FCC is -refusing- to enforce their own Part 15
interference rules.

So, will an FCC spokesman appear on the 6 o'clock news tonight and say
"We are on the take"? Unlikely, but between the ARRL official's comment
and the 50's Commissioner's admission and the FCC's refusal to enforce
their own rules, well, ya gotta wonder.

Remember, the FCC DOES NOT CARE MUCH ABOUT LONG DISTANCE RADIO RECEPTION.

Well, maybe they should. There *ARE* other users of the HF spectrum, you
know--not just hams and SWLs.

And there might not be enough of us to make them care.

Probably true. :-(
Old October 6th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message
OK, why would anybody have to be on the take? Is there any evidence of
FCC
corruption, or is this all speculation? After all, they can justify all
thier actions with the "Greatest good for the greatest number"

arguement,
that is -- BPL brings broadband access to otherwise inaccessable areas,
BPL
brings increased competition with the existing broadband providers, etc.

Ah, but it DOESN'T... BPL is a 'last mile' technology that requires
something like fiber optics or other broadband technology to get it past

the
local substation. It would be able to serve(?) neighborhoods by feeding

the
signal on the local branch lines and bypassing the pole pigs into homes.
They're still not going to spend the money on the fiber optic lines to get
it out to sparsely populated rural areas (or they would have already done
so). In addition, the bandwidth on BPL, from what I have read, is quite
limited, not quite half of a basic ADSL service which would most likely be
available most anywhere they would bother to put in BPL.

I have no expectation that BPL works well for anyone, except for the people
who are selling BPL. For all I know, it's marketed by the same bunch of
people who used to make all those gas saving gadgets sold in the JC Whitney
catalog. RUN YOUR BROADBAND WITHOUT SHIELDING!! Somebody's making money
off BPL, even if there's yet no profits to be shown. And, if somebody's
making money, you can bet they have friends in Washington. Also, even the
honest Congressmen and bureaucrats want people to make money. Jobs are
created, taxes get paid, the economy grows.

On the other hand, what congessman or bureaucrat would dare take a stand
against BPL? They'd get labeled a lackey of the current broadband insiders.
They'd be accused of trying to keep broadband choice away form Millions of
Deserving Americans.

The only politically safe way to show BPL is a failure is to let it fail.
The decision won't be based on anything like a clear headed consideration of
technology and standards.

Of course, it would be different if there were a considerable number of
radio hobbyists. Because this is a political decision, not a technical one.

Frank Dresser