Old October 30th 06, 09:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Good buy on eBay

Friend of mine is selling his Ten Tec 340
could be a very good buy
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2597&rd=1&rd=1

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, PAORDT Roelof mini-whip
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Old October 31st 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hi John...

For the sake of discussion and curiosity....

Have you ever owned or used one of these radios?

He really has a nice setup and should probably keep it. If the radio is AC
only, why not buy a good quality inverter for it. He already has it setup in
a portable case.

Also... I read somewhere that you had gotten really good results from your
Redsun 2100. The radio was rated fairly low in Passport to Worldband Radio
(PWB). I trust your input and consider you somewhat of an authority on SW
listening. I also consider you a serious DX'er. Do you think that your radio
is just an unusually well put together unit or was PWB just a little harsh
on the 2100? I do like the way the radio is layed out.

Thanks...

Old October 31st 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hi Mike,
No I never laid eyes on a Ten Tec RX340 but a couple of my serious DX
mates had them but sold them on after a while. Apparently the IP3 is not so
good, so when you DX the MW band with the 9/10 khz splits the splatter comes
through.

The seller now uses a portable laptop PC and DX's with a Winradio G313E
which he loves. There is also the question of the Ten Tec's size and weight,
so carting it around to the many DXpeditions they go on, is a bit of a
chore.
There are many other very happy owners of the RX340 which swear by it and
love it to death.

I am still waiting with foetid breath for the arrival of my copy of Passport
2007 and will see what it says about the Redsun RP2100 when it arrives. I
don't DX with it as I use my big Icom for that, but as it is my portable
about the house for listening to BBC and my local difficult to get AM MW
station, I am very happy with it and am very glad I can now run it directly
off my AC mains, a big saving on batteries for me. It's way ahead of my
Sangean ATS818 which I have now sold on. The sound is lovely and for about
$100 I think it is great value for money.

As for Passport and it's reviews, I generally like them and find them
honest, but I don't always agree with them. For instance they originally
knocked my RF Systems DX1 Pro antenna into the ground, although they later
uprated the review. They plug the Wellbrook loops, but a couple of my mates
have the ALA1530 and they don't get the results I get from my superb DX1.

Thanks for your kind comments
South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, PAORDT Roelof mini-whip
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

. ..

Old October 31st 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I don't like the name of that ''radio''.To me it means China Communist
Red.
The Nissan factory not far North of Jackson,those Nips wanted to have
their rice flag over that factory.Well,that got voted Down!
cuhulin

Old November 1st 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"John Plimmer" wrote:

Hi Mike,
No I never laid eyes on a Ten Tec RX340 but a couple of my
serious DX
mates had them but sold them on after a while. Apparently the IP3 is
not so good, so when you DX the MW band with the 9/10 khz splits the
splatter comes through.

The seller now uses a portable laptop PC and DX's with a Winradio
G313E which he loves. There is also the question of the Ten Tec's
size and weight, so carting it around to the many DXpeditions they go
on, is a bit of a chore. There are many other very happy owners of
the RX340 which swear by it and love it to death.

Snip

I won't be selling my RX340 anytime soon. The IP3 could be better but I
expect that your friend made the switch for other reasons seeing as he
went for a computer radio. The G313E would be the way I would go if I
had the inclination to purchase a computer based radio.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old November 1st 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Computer ''radios'' are not Radioing,,, if you know what I mean?
cuhulin

Old November 1st 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hi Mike,

The RX-340 seller is a very good friend of mine since 1986, and he and I
both experimented with AC inverters at various times. The verdict:
thumbs-down, due to RFI.

My last attempt was with powering a modded Racal RA6790/GM with a "pure
sine" inverter for DC-only DXpedition purposes. The AC supplied by the
inverter to the radio was indeed very clean, but the case & cable radiated
hash to the MW and HF bands despite all my attempts to shield and choke off
the noise.

I used large torroidal cores on the input and output leads of the inverter
(a mod I did inside the inverter's case). I placed the pure sine inverter
inside a galvanized steel container, moved it 50 feet away from my
DXpedition setup, and also grounded the case with two 4-foot ground rods. I
was also using a "medical-industrial grade" shielded 3-wire AC cable between
the shielded inverter and the receiver.

All of these attempts only served to put a small dent in the noise that was
audible on the bands, in the RF-quiet DXpedition setting.

I looked into using linear voltage regulators to supply all the different DC
voltages the RA6790/GM requires, and using 24 VDC as the input to the
regulators. If I recall correctly, it would have taken 7 or 8 positive and
negative supplies of various voltages. I'm convinced this would have worked,
but I didn't want to do further mods to the receiver... too risky in my
opinion.

This hassle with powering the Racal on DXpeditions led me to switch to a
ICOM IC-756Pro, which was my first taste of what a good DSP receiver can do.
I fell in love with the spectrum display and filters, and then moved on to a
SDR-1000.

My friend selling the RX-340 and I both find the real-time, high resolution
displays of the Winradios and the Flex-Radio product to be highly useful for
trans-Pacific (TP) medium wave DXing. The resolution of my SDR-1000's
display is as fine as 16 Hz, and can "zoom" out as far as 200 kHz, given the
correct sound card that supports 192 kHz sampling. My current external sound
card is the Presonus Firebox, which supports half that total amount (96 kHz
of spectrum display in real time). More useful than the widest view, though,
is a display of around 20 kHz total...this is the setting I use most of the
time while DXing.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
www.sdr-1000.blogspot.com

. ..

Old November 1st 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

My next oldest sister and her hubby are going to start eBaying (her
daughter in Byram,Mississippi will handle the computer stuff,Byram is a
suburb City,South [[South is always best]]) end of Jackson.I have mucho
buku books about all kinds of antique thingys,so does she.On November
the fifth,(my birth day) this month,sister and her hubby are heading to
Abingdon,Virginia,antique jewelry show and sell thingy.I have to dig out
all of my books on antiques.She isn't going to sell my books though,she
only wants to look stuff up.
cuhulin

F.S. More Good Stuff Brian Hill Boatanchors 1 October 31st 08 07:20 PM
F.S. More good stuff. Brian Hill Swap 0 February 16th 05 05:22 PM
F.S. Radio / Books & Stuff Brian Hill Boatanchors 0 January 27th 05 07:00 PM
F.S. Radio / Books & Stuff Brian Hill Swap 0 January 27th 05 07:00 PM
(OT) - We all have a role in Hometown (Homeland) Security and a Better America RHF Shortwave 19 June 6th 04 05:37 AM