Old November 16th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Advice for power company related rfi

Brian wrote:
A few weeks ago I called Progress Energy to report the malfunctioning
streetlight in front of my house which cycles on and off all day and night
effectively eliminating any sw listening. They said they'd repair it in
three days, and when it hadn't been a couple of weeks later, I called again
and was told their records indicated its repair. I assured them that the
problem persisted, and after insuring they had the correct pole number, was
told another request would be submitted for the light's repair. Well, it's
been another week, and no luck. Any advice on reconciling this problem?

1) Call early and call often to the power company. The squeaky wheel
gets the grease. Call daily. Don't give up.

2) Send a letter to the FCC, saying that they are interfering with local
AM broadcasts (just eyewash, as they won't respond very rapidly), but cc
it to the power company (this is the important part, hopefully gets
their attention).

3) Don't know where you live, but it's getting around hunting season. Go
to a nearby bar and ask "Anybody here a good shot? Twenty bucks to the
first guy that hits that light".

(just kidding on point 3---or not) ;-)
Old November 16th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I had a problem in San Antonio with an offending AM station. It just
took a call to three 50K AM staions (KMOX, WOAI, & KWKH) and complained
that I will now have to stop listening to them because of the
interference. 2 days later that problem was solved by the FCC citing
them for being off frequency to the tune of 25K fine. It will be solvd
if you do what I did. You can also file a complaint with the FCC, but
it may take a year to get results, but they will get the results for
you. You can also contact the ARRL compliance division and they will
also help. Greg

Brian wrote:
A few weeks ago I called Progress Energy to report the malfunctioning
streetlight in front of my house which cycles on and off all day and night
effectively eliminating any sw listening. They said they'd repair it in
three days, and when it hadn't been a couple of weeks later, I called again
and was told their records indicated its repair. I assured them that the
problem persisted, and after insuring they had the correct pole number, was
told another request would be submitted for the light's repair. Well, it's
been another week, and no luck. Any advice on reconciling this problem?

-Brian

Old November 16th 06, 11:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Ron Hardin wrote:
I've never been able to get the power company to come out without
reporting that the pole is sparking.

That apparently puts you on a real list.

Good idea. Brian could ask a neighbor to report the problem again but
this time tell the power company the light is sparking.
Old November 16th 06, 12:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brian wrote:

A few weeks ago I called Progress Energy to report the malfunctioning
streetlight in front of my house which cycles on and off all day and night
effectively eliminating any sw listening. They said they'd repair it in
three days, and when it hadn't been a couple of weeks later, I called again
and was told their records indicated its repair. I assured them that the
problem persisted, and after insuring they had the correct pole number, was
told another request would be submitted for the light's repair. Well, it's
been another week, and no luck. Any advice on reconciling this problem?

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/pwr-line-noise/

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old November 16th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:42:29 GMT, "Brian"
wrote:

A few weeks ago I called Progress Energy to report the malfunctioning
streetlight in front of my house which cycles on and off all day and night
effectively eliminating any sw listening. They said they'd repair it in
three days, and when it hadn't been a couple of weeks later, I called again
and was told their records indicated its repair. I assured them that the
problem persisted, and after insuring they had the correct pole number, was
told another request would be submitted for the light's repair. Well, it's
been another week, and no luck. Any advice on reconciling this problem?

-Brian

Contact the FCC. There is a legal requirement that it be in compliance
with part 15.

Old November 16th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"matt weber" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:42:29 GMT, "Brian"
Contact the FCC. There is a legal requirement that it be in compliance
with part 15.

Well, it looks like the squeaky wheel analogy proved true The utility
company was out just before dark and fixed it right up. I only wish it was
my only noise problem here, but every bit helps, and most interference I'm
able to null out. I certainly appreciate all of your suggestions and wish
you all good dx.

-Brian