Old December 11th 06, 09:04 PM posted to alt.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.shortwave

Default SWL Shortwave while on a cruise....?

I am going on a Royal Carribbean cruise soon, and wondered about the
feasibility of bringing along my Sony 2010 shortwave radio.

Is there anything interesting to listen to while at sea in the Carribbean?
(in English?)

Anything on some of the islands?

Should I bother?

Thanks!

Old December 11th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Anonymous wrote:

I am going on a Royal Carribbean cruise soon, and wondered about the
feasibility of bringing along my Sony 2010 shortwave radio.

Is there anything interesting to listen to while at sea in the Carribbean?
(in English?)

Anything on some of the islands?

Should I bother?

It seems as though you'd better consider bringing along some food poisoning
medicine as well...

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 11th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

Anonymous wrote:

I am going on a Royal Carribbean cruise soon, and wondered about the
feasibility of bringing along my Sony 2010 shortwave radio.

Is there anything interesting to listen to while at sea in the
Carribbean?
(in English?)

Anything on some of the islands?

Should I bother?

It seems as though you'd better consider bringing along some food
poisoning
medicine as well...

Of course, facts don't matter to you.

The mass illnesses on a couple of cruises comes from having so many people
in a tight space with recirculated air. These incidents are airborne viral
infections, not food poisoning.

As I said, why bother with the facts.

Old December 11th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

Anonymous wrote:

I am going on a Royal Carribbean cruise soon, and wondered about the
feasibility of bringing along my Sony 2010 shortwave radio.

Is there anything interesting to listen to while at sea in the
Carribbean?
(in English?)

Anything on some of the islands?

Should I bother?

It seems as though you'd better consider bringing along some food
poisoning
medicine as well...

Of course, facts don't matter to you.

The mass illnesses on a couple of cruises comes from having so many people
in a tight space with recirculated air. These incidents are airborne viral
infections, not food poisoning.

As I said, why bother with the facts.

Stuff a sock in it, boy!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 11th 06, 09:40 PM posted to alt.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.shortwave

"Anonymous" wrote in message
. ..
I am going on a Royal Carribbean cruise soon, and wondered about the
feasibility of bringing along my Sony 2010 shortwave radio.

Is there anything interesting to listen to while at sea in the Carribbean?
(in English?)

Anything on some of the islands?

Should I bother?

Thanks!

Keep in mind that the Caribbean is a huge place. All depends on what area
you will be cruising.

I suspect you will do either the Miami-Jamaica-ABC Islands route or the San
Juan-USVI-Caracas-Trinidad-Windward Islands route.

In the Lesser Antilles (USVI all the way to Trinidad) there is a lot of FM
activity on every Island, and some stations have delightful local reggae,
socca and calypso music. Many others are just like US pop stations, though.
AM in that area is on the decline, with more than half the local stations
having disappeared in the last decade or so. Shortwave on the local scene is
irrelevant, except for a few Venezuelans.

The other route also takes you to the homes of many FM stations. AM is also
declining, except in Cuba, which blasts the band in that area. Of course, as
you get near South America, the big regional AMs from 540 to about 1050 will
cover the dial, and a few have interesting music but most AMs there are also
talk now.

AM could be fun on deck at night, as out on the ocean you can DX lots of
things, including the US. In port, scan the FM for unusual local
programming.

Old December 11th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Anonymous wrote:
I am going on a Royal Carribbean cruise soon, and wondered about the
feasibility of bringing along my Sony 2010 shortwave radio.

Is there anything interesting to listen to while at sea in the Carribbean?
(in English?)

Sure, lots of things to hear.

Anything on some of the islands?

Should I bother?

NO! You are paying for a cruise so enjoy the many things on the boat
and on shore instead of holing up in a room or on a deck chair with a
radio.

Thanks!

Old December 11th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

) writes:
Anonymous wrote:
I am going on a Royal Carribbean cruise soon, and wondered about the
feasibility of bringing along my Sony 2010 shortwave radio.

Is there anything interesting to listen to while at sea in the Carribbean?
(in English?)

Sure, lots of things to hear.

Anything on some of the islands?

Should I bother?

NO! You are paying for a cruise so enjoy the many things on the boat
and on shore instead of holing up in a room or on a deck chair with a
radio.

I don't know. Radio and the sea have gone together since the early
days of radio, and there is a certain mystique to it. Marconi went
to Nova Scotia to span the Atlantic in December of 1901. Radio was
there for the Titanic, even if it didn't help much. People would run
away to sea to be radio operators on ships. Nevermind all
those amateur radio DXpeditions in the fifties and sixties to exotic
places that often used ships to get there, because that was the only
means.

Hence if someone already has an interest in radio, it's pretty logical
that they'd want to take a radio along. They don't have to use it, but
if they leave it at home, they'll never have a chance. It may be their
only chance to experience what it's like to be in the middle of the ocean
with a radio.

Michael

Old December 12th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Subjecting the 2010 to harsh travel conditions and corrosive salt air
sounds like a recipe for disaster..

Imagine how depressed you'll be if it just stops working mid ocean...
or some villanous native snatches it from your stateroom, selling it
for pennies on shore

- Not a pretty thought..

Consider getting a smaller double reduction SWR for the cruise;

the SONY 7600 GR looks pretty good..

( & bring medical supplies like you were living in the slums of
Calcutta )

Old December 13th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
oups.com...
Subjecting the 2010 to harsh travel conditions and corrosive salt air
sounds like a recipe for disaster..

I had a variety of receivers from an R390 to solid state ones that I used in
both "on the beach" DX jaunts and in a beach condo for a decade or so in
Puerto Rico. Neither they nor the home electronics seemed to suffer when
they were given occasional cleanings (the condo seldom had air conditioning
on due to high electric rates and the delightful temperatures year round). I
don't think a single cruise would hurt a 2010, and placing it in a video
camera bag or small computer bag inside a suitcase would probably protect it
enough.

There is certainly a lot of pleasure to be derived from listening to exotic
stations as locals!