Old December 14th 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Is There A Better Portable Than the Sony ICF-2010?

Little doggy,I am scrubbin her face,, she lookin just like a little
Possum up at me.An old Star Trek flick is on Radio tv now.Mary DuRose
(she is married,she is from Kansas) in Sydney,Australia,she once told me
about Australian Cattle Dogs.
cuhulin

Old December 14th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

That big tall building in Minneapolis with the big round hole in the
middle of it.Is it still there?
cuhulin

Old December 14th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I got to play with an E1 a couple of months ago. While it doesn't have a
loopstick antenna for MW, it did work quite well on that band. When did they
stop making this radio in India?

Pete

wrote in message
ps.com...

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I am thinking about upgrading....any suggestions?

Also I have been getting an occasional "Error 3" on my Sony 2010...what
is it from?

Thanks for any advice.

TMT

Forgot to mention, that the Eton E1 does not even have an internal
ferrite-bar antenna, so you have to use an external antenna for AM, and
although Satellite Radio ready, doesn't come with an antenna - at that
price, absolutely ridiculous ! **** Eton !

Old December 14th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Pete KE9OA wrote:
I got to play with an E1 a couple of months ago. While it doesn't have a
loopstick antenna for MW, it did work quite well on that band. When did they
stop making this radio in India?

Pete

wrote in message
ps.com...

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I am thinking about upgrading....any suggestions?

Also I have been getting an occasional "Error 3" on my Sony 2010...what
is it from?

Thanks for any advice.

TMT

Forgot to mention, that the Eton E1 does not even have an internal
ferrite-bar antenna, so you have to use an external antenna for AM, and
although Satellite Radio ready, doesn't come with an antenna - at that
price, absolutely ridiculous ! **** Eton !

I have no idea, why a loop stick antenna was not supplied - all I can
say, is that with my miserable experience with the Tecsun/Etcon/Grundig
cheap crap S350, I will never go near Tecsun/Etcon/Grundig, or Sangean
again - I have had excellent experiences with Sonys.

Old December 14th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brian Hill wrote:
"CelticDude" wrote in message

Hmmm, this starts to make the E1 tempting. Where did you find this
price? Was it refurbished? I told myself that I wouldn't get another
portable, but this, or the Red Sun RP300, could tempt me (the E1 is
still ugly...)

DWP

I bought mine from Northland here in MN. I think that'sd the name of the
Co.? It was new and checked out by Drake. Still had the protective coating
on the dial and original box etc... I don't know if that price is still in
effect but I'd still pay $500 for it. It's a great radio and a good a DX
rig. I think those that knock it are ill informed. I've been DXing since 76
and have owned hundreds of radios and think it's a damn good radio deserving
of more credit than it's given by most that have never even tried the rig.
Five bills is not chump change but I always try rigs that are in my grasp
economicly because I'm currious and this one I felt was a winner. YMMV?

Well, I have to tell you, I have been tempted by it too, especially
since the R8B has been discontinued, and this one looks to have many of
the essential features that made the Drake so tempting. It is good to
hear more positive news about it. I'd rather have the tabletop - they
just *feel* better to me - but since performance is the ultimate goal,
perhaps a move sideways to a top-quality portable isn't such a bad
move.

Bruce Jensen

Old December 14th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I am thinking about upgrading....any suggestions?

Also I have been getting an occasional "Error 3" on my Sony 2010...what
is it from?

Thanks for any advice.

TMT

Of course, the Eton E1, not even a contest. 1070's Volswagen technology
vs. Eprom technology.

YMMV, taxes can be variable..........:-)

Old December 14th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"bpnjensen" wrote in message
ups.com...
Brian Hill wrote:
[...]

I like DXing out doors alot too and it's easy to cary with you.

BH

Old December 14th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I am thinking about upgrading....any suggestions?

Also I have been getting an occasional "Error 3" on my Sony 2010...what
is it from?

Thanks for any advice.

TMT

Sure, an Eton E1 would be a better portable than a 2010.

Old December 14th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"H. State" wrote in message
oups.com...

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I am thinking about upgrading....any suggestions?

Also I have been getting an occasional "Error 3" on my Sony 2010...what
is it from?

Thanks for any advice.

TMT

Of course, the Eton E1, not even a contest. 1070's Volswagen technology
vs. Eprom technology.

YMMV, taxes can be variable..........:-)

The thing is that the 2010 is about the same amount of $s if you can find
one. Not too many go for less than $350-400.

BH

Old December 14th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brian Hill wrote:
I like DXing out doors alot too and it's easy to cary with you.

BH

Brian, does this E1 unit have:

RF Gain?
Noise Blanker?
Switchable RF filters (2.5, 4, 7 kHz, as I understand it) for all
reception modes (AM, AM-Synch, SSB)?

I couldn't quite tell form Universal's website...

Thanks, BJ