Old December 30th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
cbx cbx is offline

Default Sony 7600GR - is it feasable to repair/replace External Power Jack

The External Power Jack has developed problems after a drop with the
external power plugged in. The unit will work on batteries just fine,
but when you insert the power plug the little no-battery symbol
appears.

Anyone price the jack from Sony (some of their replacement parts are
outrageously expensive) and has anyone actually replaced the jack?
I'm a technician but the eyes are getting pretty weak. I haven't even
opened the case yet, just wanted to ask here to see how difficult the
project might be, and the cost of the jack from Sony?

I almost always use the unit hooked to external power, thus the
request.

Thanks.

Jim

Old December 30th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

It works great on NiMH cells, I use mine that way all the time.

Buy two sets of batteries and keep one set charging.

However, I resoldered the power jack in the original 7600 with
no difficulty, and I'm not a great solderer on small parts.
That may be all that's wrong.
--
Ron Hardin

Old December 30th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
cbx cbx is offline

Hi Ron;

Well, took the bull by the horns, and took it apart. Not hard at all
to get apart, which surprised me. ANyway, found that the positive pin
of the DC jack had lifted two traces from the PC board, each going to
the same dual diode, D205 and D207. Could not repair the traces so
put small jumpers in, and it works again..

I used a magnifier lamp and a two different sets of glasses to
bring things into focus, but its back online.

Yes, the NiMH cells last a long time in the 7600, but they don't last
very long at all in the DX398, it seems to use a lot more power than
the 7600. I also use my 7600 in the car with a 2m mag mount
antenna and cigarette lighter 6V supply, and sometimes run the audio
into the tape deck, which works pretty good, but is a mess of cables.

I used to work on a ship and sometimes used the 7600 along with a
laptop to receive weather maps from Boston and Hamburg using an
external antenna. 7600GR is a good buy for the buck.

What brand of NiMH do you use?

Jim