Old June 8th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

Default newbie needs help erecting an antenna near Youngstown, Ohio

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 20:11:28 -0500, JDL wrote:

I live in a small town north of Youngstown. I have a Sangean 505 (has
sideband) also a 622 Sangean (just receivers, no transceivers -- yet). The
reception with the built in antenna isn't very good. I want to erect some
sort of wire loop antenna, but don't know what kind of wire, what sort of
grounding, length, etc. to use. I mainly want to listen to shortwave
broadcasts like VOA, BBC, but also private hams on the sideband. I can buy
someone dinner (and pay for all materials), if they help me out erecting an
antenna. I went to Radio Shack but they were ignorant about shortwave
stuff.

Down and dirty, get about 100 feet of insulated wire from the hardware
store, attach it to your radio's external antenna terminal, run the
wire out your window, string it around the yard as high as you can,
don't run it over or under any high-power electricity lines. This will
work pretty much as well as more complicated stuff.

bob
k5qwg

Thanks,
Justin

Old June 9th 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
JDL

Bob Miller wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks for the info.. Any particular guage of wire? Also, could I buy
some sort of connector to be able to plug the wire into the antenna jack
on the 505 Sangean? Or should I just use an alligator clip?

Thanks,
Justin

Old June 9th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 23:11:13 -0500, JDL wrote:

Bob Miller wrote in
:

[...]

12, 14 or 16 guage would be the most common at the hardware store. Any
would work; the 12 guage is the biggest and most noticeable, if that's
a factor.

I'm not familiar with the connections on the back of a Sangean 505,
but if you took the radio to a place like Radio Shack they could
probably outfit you with a connector that fits; one that doesn't need
soldering would be easiest to work with.

Bob
k5qwg

Old June 9th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mark Zenier

In article ,
Bob Miller wrote:
On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 23:11:13 -0500, JDL wrote:

Thanks for the info.. Any particular guage of wire? Also, could I buy
some sort of connector to be able to plug the wire into the antenna jack
on the 505 Sangean? Or should I just use an alligator clip?

12, 14 or 16 guage would be the most common at the hardware store. Any
would work; the 12 guage is the biggest and most noticeable, if that's
a factor.

Small (24?) guage doorbell wire should work fine, and be a whole lot
cheaper. (And if you get a color that matches the surroundings, it
"disappears").

Mark Zenier

Old June 9th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default External Antenna Input for most 'portable' AM / FM Shortwave Radios with 1/8" Mono Jack

Bob [K5QWG],

External Antenna Input for most 'portable' AM / FM Shortwave Radios
with 1/8" Mono Jack
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...sage/10074?l=1

Most Sangean 'portable' AM / FM Shortwave Radios
simply use a 1/8" Mono Jack for the External Antenna
Input. As do many 'portable' AM / FM Shortwave Radios.
* Barrel Circuit-Board-Ground (RF Signal Ground)
* Tip Antenna RF Signal Input

However, the Sangean ATS-909 'portable' AM / FM
Shortwave Radio uses a 1/8" Stereo Jack for the External
Antenna Input.
* Barrel Circuit-Board-Ground (RF Signal Ground)
* Tip Shortwave Antenna RF Signal Input
* Middle-Ring AM/MW Antenna RF Signal Input

Caution - Do Not - Plug your External Antenna into the
Headphone / External Speaker Jack (1/8') -and- Do Not -
Plug your Headphone / External Speaker into the External
Antenna Jack (1/8") - It's easy to do sometimes and
strangly the Radio does not work to well.
- - - Oops - Been There - Done That ! )

Two -IFs- when using an External Antenna with a
'portable' AM / FM Shortwave Radio :

IF # 1 - When Using In-Door External Antenna with
a 'portable' AM / FM Shortwave Radio - A Ground
{Wire} connection may not be required - Although
connecting a Ground may help reduce the Noise
{ Try It and See }

IF # 2 - When Using Out-Side External Antenna with
a 'portable' AM / FM Shortwave Radio - A Ground
{Wire} connection is Required for Electrical Safety.
Usually a Ground connection will help reduce the
Noise when using and Out-Side External Antenna.
{ Do It and See }

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
..
Shortwave Listener Antennas = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
SWL Antenna Group = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf

Old June 9th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

.
Shortwave Listener Antennas = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
SWL Antenna Group = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
.
The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
SWL BLESSING = http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/9233
.

/ \

Old June 10th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

David - Its The Though That Counts !
{ When The Words Seem To Fail You } ~ RHF

newbie needs help erecting an antenna near Youngstown, Ohio m II Shortwave 1 June 9th 06 05:22 AM
I Want Another Antenna Lenny Shortwave 4 January 23rd 06 10:12 PM
Question is 'it' a Longwire {Random Wire} Antenna -or- Inverted "L" Antenna ? RHF Shortwave 5 November 6th 05 04:52 AM
On Topic [email protected] Shortwave 5 November 2nd 05 10:35 AM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Shortwave 16 December 13th 03 03:01 PM