Old December 31st 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Degen 1103 reception questions

I own a Degen 1103 and use the antenna whip and I have not strung out an
alligator clip with longwire yet.
It seems a bit deaf with the antenna on the 80 meter ham SSB band Anyone
compared the Degen 1103 with the whip versus outside longwire? I live in a
large house in a town that definately picks up much electrical noise using
radios. I know this as I use to live in a mobile home in a rural area and
the electrical noice level was lower. Back then, I use to have a DX-440 and
used a 80 foot longwire on the roof with alligator clip and got some very
impressive results. I just got back in to some SW listening after a 4-5
years limited use, so I am wondering if going back to a longwire with the
Degen 1103 with make a difference (of course if I can get past the house
electrical field/noise issues).

Old December 31st 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article wdGlh.207$Am5.30@trndny03, "snow"
wrote:

I own a Degen 1103 and use the antenna whip and I have not strung out an
alligator clip with longwire yet.
It seems a bit deaf with the antenna on the 80 meter ham SSB band Anyone
compared the Degen 1103 with the whip versus outside longwire? I live in a
large house in a town that definately picks up much electrical noise using
radios. I know this as I use to live in a mobile home in a rural area and
the electrical noice level was lower. Back then, I use to have a DX-440 and
used a 80 foot longwire on the roof with alligator clip and got some very
impressive results. I just got back in to some SW listening after a 4-5
years limited use, so I am wondering if going back to a longwire with the
Degen 1103 with make a difference (of course if I can get past the house
electrical field/noise issues).

I don't know about this. The cheap Chinese portables should be every bit
as good as a more expensive radio according to the proponents that post
here.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 31st 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

HI Snow, all,
I use the '1103' on my 130ft 'Doublet' aerial and with the attenuator in
circuit (don't try your radio with out the att in circuit by the way on ANY
external aerial) and it receives all the signals I hear on my more elaborate
equipment with the same aerial, and no break-through into the IF stages.
For me ( my opinion only ) the '1103' is the best portable I have ever used
for SSB listening and Short Wave in general on an external
aerial..........Good Luck, Ken, G4KIR.

Old December 31st 06, 09:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"snow" wrote in message
I own a Degen 1103 and use the antenna whip and I have not strung out an
alligator clip with longwire yet.

Yeah, I'm going to sell my more elaborate equipment and buy me a Degen.
Stations just have to sound better on a cheap Chinese portable.

Well, I'm going to sell it all except the R75 doorstop. It's the best
doorstop ever.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 31st 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article . com,
"NomadW8" wrote:

I occasionally monitor 75 meters with the 1103 & just the whip. This
while I'm in QSO, with my Yaesu FT102 which is fed into a 75 meter
doublet @ 50 feet. The Degen works fine. I can usually hear everyone in
the QSO.

This little Chinese portable is an amazing radio for the $'s. Maybe the
best radio per $ I have ever owned (note I say best per $, not best
overall which it certianly is not) which is saying quite a bit. Better,
IMHO, than the YB400 Yachtboy.

I've been a ham since 1959 & have had maybe 50 top-line receivers over
those nearly 50 years including Drake 2B, R4C, R4A, National HRO-50 &
HRO-60, Hammarlund SP200 Super Pro, R390A (Motorola), National NC-303,
Hammarlund HQ-160, Hallicrafters SX101, SX 115, SX 122, SX 100, Collins
75A-3, Collins KWM-2, Swan 102BX, RCA AR-88, Atlas 210, + numerous
Yaseu, & Kenwood.

OK you convinced me. I'm going to buy one and put it next to the R75 as
a backup radio room doorstop.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old December 31st 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

If you're trying to incite a disagreement with your anti-Chinese radio
comments, you're outta luck with me.

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article . com,
"NomadW8" wrote:

[...]

DEGEN 1103 English Manual [email protected] Shortwave 1 September 17th 06 10:43 AM
degen 1103 rxt. antenna input 50 ohm or high impedence? bob Shortwave 0 February 17th 05 12:20 PM
FT: Degen 1103 DeWayne Scanner 4 December 6th 04 07:21 PM
Degen 1103 manual M Peraaho Shortwave 0 October 18th 04 03:48 AM