Old January 1st 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Degen 1103 used for RTTY/Fax decoder?

I noticed the Degen 1103 has a line out connector.
I am wondering if anyone has tried to connect this to a computer (using
appropriate plug) and use some of the free software available on some ham
sites to decode RTTY, Fax, CW, etc? Any luck? I have not tried it on mine
yet. I did it with the Icom 735 I use to own, and easily decoded fax weather
maps on shortwave frequencies and some RTTY stuff also. Since the Degen 1103
is fairly sensitive and does SSB, I was thinking it MAY be capable of
decoding shortwave data signals with the appropriate software.

Old January 2nd 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I just connected the line out (got the cable from Radio Shack I had stored
in my shack) to the soundblaster card on the back of my computer using the
Mmtty shareware and though the date is all scrambled right now, I am able to
detect data off the Degen 1103. I am sure if I tune correctly to a signal I
will pick up RTTY weather stations, etc. So, the Degen 1103 is also a
defacto decoder! For a cheap $60 radio it sure does alot. I doubt few radios
below $200 can so this.