RadioBanter

-   -   Walmart promoting mini-flourescent bulbs in the name of environmentalism (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/112892-walmart-promoting-mini-flourescent-bulbs-name-environmentalism.html)

David January 3rd 07 01:58 PM

Walmart promoting mini-flourescent bulbs in the name of environmentalism

On 3 Jan 2007 01:19:42 -0800, "RHF"
wrote:

CFLs present an opportunity to prevent Mercury emissions from entering
the Environment because they Help-to-Reduce Emissions from Coal-Fired
Power Plants. A Coal-Fired Power Plant will emit 13.6 milligrams of
Mercury to produce Electricity required to use an Incandescent Light
Bulb, compared to 3.3 milligrams for a CFL with the same light output.
EPA Mercury News & Info = http://www.epa.gov/mercury/

mercury the messager and the message is cfl ~ RHF

Coal fired plants not only emit mercury; they also spew more
radioactive waste than nuclear plants.

Doug Smith W9WI January 3rd 07 02:15 PM

Walmart promoting mini-flourescent bulbs in the name of environmentalism

Tester wrote:
Of course, flourescent bulbs create RFI.

I bought my first CFL a few weeks after I bought this house in 1994.
The bulb in the basement stairwell burned out, and it was such a pain to
change I decided I wanted something that would take awhile to burn out.

Had to replace it last week. (yes, that's **twelve years** service!)

Since then, as each bulb has burned out, I've replaced it with a CFL.
Can't say I've had significant noise trouble. Sure wish I could say the
same for my computers!

It's hard to get past the price differential, but if you can, you'll
like 'em...

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

homepc January 3rd 07 02:48 PM

Walmart promoting mini-flourescent bulbs in the name of environmentalism

Important Note: Handling and Disposal of CFL's

Compact fluorescent bulbs contain small amounts of mercury. The mercury
poses no threat while in the bulb, but if you break one be careful not to
inhale the mercury - immediately use a wet rag to clean it up and put all of
the pieces, and the rag, into a plastic bag.

Although household CFL bulbs may legally be disposed of with regular trash
(in the US), they are categorized as household hazardous waste. As long as
the waste is sent to a modern municipal landfill, the hazard to the
environment is limited. However, CFL's should not be sent to an incinerator,
which would disperse the mercury into the atmosphere.

The best solution is to save spent CFL's for a community household hazardous
waste collection, which would then send the bulbs to facilities capable of
treating, recovering or recycling them. For more information on CFL disposal
or recycling, you can contact your local municipality.

Although CFL's have these handling and disposal issues, the large energy
savings of CFL bulbs compared to incandescents is of greater overall
environmental benefit.

http://www.eartheasy.com/live_energyeff_lighting.htm

"RHF" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 2, 6:14 pm, "homepc" wrote:
-
- What I find disturbing, is that the consumer is seldom warned
- about the mercury inside the bulb, and when the bulb burns out,
- they just throw it away in the regular trash.
-

Home PC,

What is Mercury (HG) ?
What are the sources of Mercury emissions ?
What are the Risks ?
http://www.gelighting.com/na/home_li...aq_compact.htm
CFLs present an opportunity to prevent Mercury emissions from entering
the Environment because they Help-to-Reduce Emissions from Coal-Fired
Power Plants. A Coal-Fired Power Plant will emit 13.6 milligrams of
Mercury to produce Electricity required to use an Incandescent Light
Bulb, compared to 3.3 milligrams for a CFL with the same light output.
EPA Mercury News & Info = http://www.epa.gov/mercury/

mercury the messager and the message is cfl ~ RHF
.
.
. .

Before I bought my compact fluorescent bulbs, I made sure I knew where I
could dispose of them safely when they were spent. As it turns out,
Canadian Tire, where I bought my bulbs, also offered to recycle them. I
wonder if Wal-Mart would follow suit.

Most of the foreign made junk ( electronics in particular ) that Wal-Mart
peddles, fill up our land fill sites with toxic time bombs faster than we
realize.

"Tester" wrote in
messagenews:i46lp294dngdeajlp6usr8av1kuud11k7v@ent ropy.org...

Of course, flourescent bulbs create RFI.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/02/business/02bulb.html

The Energy Challenge
Power-Sipping Bulbs Get Backing From Wal-Mart

While it sounds like a promising idea, it turns out that the
long-lasting, swirl-shaped light bulbs known as compact fluorescent
lamps are to the nation's energy problem what vegetables are to its
obesity epidemic: a near perfect answer, if only Americans could be
persuaded to swallow them.

But now Wal-Mart Stores, the giant discount retailer, is determined to
push them into at least 100 million homes. And its ambitions extend
even further, spurred by a sweeping commitment from its chief
executive, H. Lee Scott Jr., to reduce energy use across the country,
a move that could also improve Wal-Mart's appeal to the more affluent
consumers the chain must win over to keep growing in the United
States.

"The environment," Mr. Scott said, "is begging for the Wal-Mart
business model."

It is the environmental movement's dream: America's biggest company,
legendary for its salesmanship and influence with suppliers,
encouraging 200 million shoppers to save energy.

For all its power in retailing, though, Wal-Mart is meeting plenty of
resistance - from light-bulb makers, competitors and consumers. To
help turn the tide, it is even reaching out to unlikely partners like
Google, Home Depot and Hollywood.
[...]

quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Old Benny the SWL January 3rd 07 10:36 PM

mini-flourescent bulbs ARE FULL OF MERCURY

Tester wrote:

While it sounds like a promising idea, it turns out that the
long-lasting, swirl-shaped light bulbs known as compact fluorescent
lamps are to the nation's energy problem what vegetables are to its
obesity epidemic: a near perfect answer, if only Americans could be
persuaded to swallow them.

Don't forget that EVERY one of those CF's contain
one drop of MERCURY.

(yes....that Mercury, known as element HG)

So much for enviornmental care when these things
start to end up in the waste stream !!!

HA !!!!!!!

[email protected] January 3rd 07 10:59 PM

mini-flourescent bulbs ARE FULL OF MERCURY

We should all revert back to using candles.But not candles made from
politicians,they would stink up the place too much.
cuhulin

Telamon January 4th 07 01:46 AM

Walmart promoting mini-flourescent bulbs in the name of environmentalism

In article ,
Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

Tester wrote:
Of course, flourescent bulbs create RFI.

I bought my first CFL a few weeks after I bought this house in 1994.
The bulb in the basement stairwell burned out, and it was such a pain to
change I decided I wanted something that would take awhile to burn out.

Had to replace it last week. (yes, that's **twelve years** service!)

Since then, as each bulb has burned out, I've replaced it with a CFL.
Can't say I've had significant noise trouble. Sure wish I could say the
same for my computers!

It's hard to get past the price differential, but if you can, you'll
like 'em...

I don't think we are talking about the same bulbs. These cheap units
won't last that long. Maybe two years max.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

David January 4th 07 02:53 AM

Walmart promoting mini-flourescent bulbs in the name of environmentalism

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 01:46:30 GMT, Telamon
wrote:

In article ,
Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

Tester wrote:
Of course, flourescent bulbs create RFI.

I bought my first CFL a few weeks after I bought this house in 1994.
The bulb in the basement stairwell burned out, and it was such a pain to
change I decided I wanted something that would take awhile to burn out.

Had to replace it last week. (yes, that's **twelve years** service!)

Since then, as each bulb has burned out, I've replaced it with a CFL.
Can't say I've had significant noise trouble. Sure wish I could say the
same for my computers!

It's hard to get past the price differential, but if you can, you'll
like 'em...

I don't think we are talking about the same bulbs. These cheap units
won't last that long. Maybe two years max.

I have nothing but compact fluorescents and some are way over 5 years
old. I've changed the kitchen overheads once since 1998. It's insane
to use Edison lamps for lighting.

Telamon January 4th 07 03:40 AM

David wrote:

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 01:46:30 GMT, Telamon
wrote:

In article ,
Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

Tester wrote:
[...]

These less then a dollar bulbs have only been available the last few
months so you must have a time machine then.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

John Barnard January 4th 07 03:53 AM

homepc wrote:
Important Note: Handling and Disposal of CFL's

Compact fluorescent bulbs contain small amounts of mercury. The mercury
poses no threat while in the bulb, but if you break one be careful not to
inhale the mercury - immediately use a wet rag to clean it up and put all of
the pieces, and the rag, into a plastic bag.

Powdered sulfur is extremely good at binding any elemental mercury that
might have "blobbed" over an area. But don't use a vacuum cleaner to
clean it up (unless it's rated for mercury vapour containment). Use a
brush and pan and place the remains in a thick plastic bag.

JB

Although household CFL bulbs may legally be disposed of with regular trash
(in the US), they are categorized as household hazardous waste. As long as
the waste is sent to a modern municipal landfill, the hazard to the
environment is limited. However, CFL's should not be sent to an incinerator,
which would disperse the mercury into the atmosphere.

The best solution is to save spent CFL's for a community household hazardous
waste collection, which would then send the bulbs to facilities capable of
treating, recovering or recycling them. For more information on CFL disposal
or recycling, you can contact your local municipality.

Although CFL's have these handling and disposal issues, the large energy
savings of CFL bulbs compared to incandescents is of greater overall
environmental benefit.

http://www.eartheasy.com/live_energyeff_lighting.htm

"RHF" wrote in message
oups.com...

-

[email protected] January 4th 07 04:23 AM

Walmart promoting mini-flourescent bulbs in the name ofenviron...

Back in the early 1970's,the J.C.Penny store that used to be in down
town Jackson moved to a new store about two and a half miles from
me.Then when the new Northpark mall www.visitnorthpark.com was built
in 1983 the J.C.Penny store that was near me moved to Northpark mall in
Ridgeland,just across County Line Road which is the North boundary line
between North Jackson and the suburb city of Ridgeland.

Before the J.C.Penny store which used to be near me moved to Northpark
mall,the store had a sale on a lot of thingys.I bought a little
flourescent twin tube/light at the store.I wrote the date of when I
bought the light with a ball point pen on the base of the light just
before I started using it in my bathroom.I know I didn't throw the light
away when it burned out.I was looking for it just now in my bathroom
cabinets.(it's there somewhere among all that junk in there) But I did
find the bulb thingy,it says Philips PL 9

I know the little flourescent light bulb lasted at least fourteen years
since 1983 before it finally burned out.And I always leave my bathroom
light turned on wether I am home or not.That was a durn good little
light.When I find the other part of the light assembly/unit the two
prong bulb plugs into,I will see if I can find a replacement bulb.
cuhulin