RadioBanter

-   -   Walmart promoting mini-flourescent bulbs in the name of environmentalism (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/112892-walmart-promoting-mini-flourescent-bulbs-name-environmentalism.html)

[email protected] January 4th 07 05:25 AM

Walmart promoting mini-flourescent bulbs in the name ofenviron...

A liittle bit of history on Compact Fluorescent Lightning.
http://nemesis.lonestar.org/referenc...t/compact.html
cuhulin

RHF January 4th 07 06:03 AM

Walmart promoting mini-flourescent bulbs in the name of environ...

On Jan 3, 8:19 am, wrote:
www.devilfinder.com Radioactive Coal

The whole Universe is Radioactive.Even we ourselves are Radioactive to
some extent.There is some Lignite Radioactive Coal being mined in
Northeast Mississippi (or somewhere around that neck of the woods) for a
power plant there and there will soon be some more Lignite Radioactive
Coal Mining going on in East Mississippi in Kemper County near
Meridian.(or somewhere around that neck of the woods) What they are
going to be doing with that Lignite Radioactive Coal is turning it (the
Lignite Radioactive Coal) into liquid fuel for cars.trucks,vans,soccer
mom's suvs,and who knows what else.Some of that nasty Radioactive Coal
in China blows on over to California.Heck of a note,isn't it?

- California is trying to reduce pollution and
- China is sending California more pollution.
- cuhulin

Cuhulin - In the next few years China will surpass the
USofA as "The Worlds" Major (#1) Polluter ~ RHF

RHF January 4th 07 06:56 AM

mini-flourescent bulbs ARE FULL OF MERCURY

OBtSWL,

This would be the same amount of Mercury that came out of the Ground.

Was processed into the CFL Bulb.

And when the CFL Blub is disposed-of it : That same amount
of Mercury will be going back into the Ground.

net sum equal - imho ~ RHF

[email protected] January 4th 07 07:21 AM

mini-flourescent bulbs ARE FULL OF MERCURY

I found the other part of my old fluorescent light in my bathroom
cabinets.It says,PHILIPS.Adapter for PL 7 or PL 9 120 V 12 Watts Made in
U.S.A. B4 Listed UL Adapter E77629 43L2 Pat.Pending Cat # 34888

The whole light assembly is actually three seperate parts.The adapter
with the screw in base part on it slides/connects up to what I assume is
the ballast and the light bulb which plugs into the adapter makes it
three seperate parts.If I happen to see a replacement light bulb at a
local store,I will buy it and see if I can get it all working again for
my bathroom.

I have a bunch of old,old electrical thingys here.One of them is an old
light dimmer.It says on it, Mil-L-12313A Bristol Dynamics,Inc
Dimmer,Lampholder Made in Brooklyn,N.Y.120V 60 Watt
It has a red two position slide switch on the side for Dim Bright.I
think it dates back to the 1950's.I tried it out in one of my table
lamps,but it doesn't work.(maybe that's why it showed up at the Goodwill
store) If I wire brush the crud off of the screw in base,it might work.
cuhulin

[email protected] January 4th 07 07:24 AM

mini-flourescent bulbs ARE FULL OF MERCURY

When you was a kid,did you ever break an old mercury type of thermometer
and play with the mercury? We didn't know any better back in those days
when we were kids.
cuhulin

homepc January 4th 07 01:14 PM

mini-flourescent bulbs ARE FULL OF MERCURY

You are correct about the same amount of mercury going back into the
environment, however, the ultra cheap Wal-Mart spent bulbs will not be going
back to China!

Food for thought:

http://1url.org/go/1ia8j

"RHF" wrote in message
ups.com...
OBtSWL,

This would be the same amount of Mercury that came out of the Ground.

Was processed into the CFL Bulb.

And when the CFL Blub is disposed-of it : That same amount
of Mercury will be going back into the Ground.

net sum equal - imho ~ RHF
.
.
. .

On Jan 3, 2:36 pm, "Old Benny the SWL" wrote:
Tester wrote:
While it sounds like a promising idea, it turns out that the
long-lasting, swirl-shaped light bulbs known as compact fluorescent
lamps are to the nation's energy problem what vegetables are to its
obesity epidemic: a near perfect answer, if only Americans could be
persuaded to swallow them.Don't forget that EVERY one of those CF's
contain

one drop of MERCURY.

(yes....that Mercury, known as element HG)

So much for enviornmental care when these things
start to end up in the waste stream !!!

HA !!!!!!!

David January 4th 07 01:54 PM

mini-flourescent bulbs ARE FULL OF MERCURY

On 3 Jan 2007 22:56:24 -0800, "RHF"
wrote:

OBtSWL,

This would be the same amount of Mercury that came out of the Ground.

Was processed into the CFL Bulb.

And when the CFL Blub is disposed-of it : That same amount
of Mercury will be going back into the Ground.

net sum equal - imho ~ RHF
.
.

Around here they don't bury the lamps. You turn them in at a HHW
facility (or at a semi-annual roundup) along with your batteries and
used chemicals and motor oil. It is illegal to put mercury in the
trash, period.

bpnjensen January 4th 07 03:21 PM

RHF wrote:
OBtSWL,

This would be the same amount of Mercury that came out of the Ground.

Was processed into the CFL Bulb.

And when the CFL Blub is disposed-of it : That same amount
of Mercury will be going back into the Ground.

net sum equal - imho ~ RHF

Yes, but, of course, the problem is that when the mercury from bulbs is
placed back into the ground/water, it is greatly more concentrated than
when it was mined, where it was also locked up in the ore. It is the
artificial purification / concentration / juxtaposition that makes it
dangerous.

However, it is also true that most people are becoming far more careful
about they dispose of toxic materials. Here in the SF bay area, we
have fairly convenient hazardous waste centers who will accept this
stuff free at disposal time. About once every two years, I bring a
small batch of nasty material there, and in about 1 minute it is off my
hands. The material is then either reclaimed or disposed of in a palce
where it hopefully will be safe for 1,000,000,000 years.

BJ

bpnjensen January 5th 07 03:37 PM

mini-flourescent bulbs ARE FULL OF MERCURY

RHF wrote:
BpnJ,

ABOUT - Mercury
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_(element)

Organic Mercury Compounds {Methyl-Mercury} Meta-Mercury ?
http://www.greenfacts.org/glossary/m...-compounds.htm
IIRC - When they build a Dam {Reservoir} one of the things
that they have found that they need to do is remove all the
Trees and other Vegetation : Because most of it has some
Organic Mercury in it and as it Decays under the Water and
is Consumed by the Animals, Plants and Fish in the Water
the Organic Mercury then enters the Human Food Chain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reservoir_(water)

Scientific Facts on Mercury {Q&A}
http://www.greenfacts.org/mercury/index.htm

Mercury and its Many Forms
http://www.calpoison.org/public/mercury.html

Thanks for this.

While CFL Bulbs do use and consume Mercury via Electrical
Generation.

Not exactly - they contain mercury and it is part of the
light-production process. No mercury is consumed - the lifetime
starting mass is equal to the lifetime ending mass.

Over their Rated Service Life they us less Mercury
then the same number of Incandescent Bulbs required for that
CFL's Rated Service Life period that have the same Rated Light
Output : Because they use much less energy and the production
of Energy results in the by product of Mercury in our Air and Water.

How so? How does energy consumption and production result in
signficant mercury release?

In any case, a CFL bulb or any other FL bulb concentrates mercury in a
way that few other products will nowadays. It is this concentration -
possibly within reach of a person and their skin/mouth - that presents
the problem. There may be a great deal of mercury out and about in the
environment (and it also concentrates at the top of the food chain, in
fish especially), but in minute forms and scattered as it is, it is not
likely to affect any individual if that individual is careful not to
ingest high-merc foods.

BJ

[email protected] January 5th 07 08:55 PM

mini-flourescent bulbs ARE FULL OF MERCURY

I think that some stores,such as Wal Mart and the like,should let people
bring their old fluoresecent light bulbs/lights to the stores and the
stores could turn in the old bulbs/lights to a collection agency,all at
no charge to the customers.That might keep a lot of mercury out of the
landfills/water tables.Sounds like a good idea to me.
cuhulin