Old January 13th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Global Freezing Coming Down From Canada

http://ecjones.org/propag.html

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 09:21:07 -0500, dxAce
wrote:

David wrote:

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 07:22:14 -0500, dxAce
wrote:

"ve3..." wrote:

A massive arctic cold wave is heading for the midwest and east. It has
already hit the prairies with record cold and blizzard conditions with
three dead so far. A front of this strength can affect radio reception
so it might be worthwhile to tune through the bands for the next four
days.

How will this front affect the ionosphere?

It doesn't. It can cause ducting, however.

Which will affect SW how?

Old January 13th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David wrote:

http://ecjones.org/propag.html

"Tropospheric scatter: The only form of propagation that is directly influenced
by the surface weather of the
earth... Finally, this propagation effect is seen most often in the VHF and UHF
bands, especially the 6m band."

Not shortwave. Nice try.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 14th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

It was a nice plesant warm (about 74 degrees here this afternoon,suppose
to get to about 74 degrees again tomorrow,then cooler weather for the
next few days with predictions of some rain) mostly sunshiny day here
today.I did a bunch of work in my back yard,rounding up some scrap metal
and junk I don't want to hang onto anymore.Getting it ready to haul to
the scrap metal yard on Monday,and Tuesday,and Wednesday,untill I have
it all hauled off.Really a nice day.I have 17 big trash bags full of
empty beer cans I am going to haul off too,I will use that beer can
money to buy more beer.
cuhulin

Old January 14th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

How will this front affect the ionosphere?

It doesn't. It can cause ducting, however.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""""""""""""""""
I noticed that CBW, 990, Winnipeg, on the other side of the front at
the time, was unusually strong, leading me to wonder if weather could
be a factor in mw and sw propagation.

"''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''
I Googled around to see if weather affects mw and sw propagation and
came up with a few items. the most promising one is a paper by E.S.
Kazimirovsky and V.D. Kokourov:

"How weather Affects 160 m and MW Band Propagation"
from Geomagnetism and Aeronomy, vol 35, no3 12/95 p.305
It wasn't on line but it does indicate that people are studying the
matter.

Another article discussed the D Region 60 to 90 km high which absorbs
energy from a radio wave up to 7mhz including the MW. It considers it
as part of the atmosphere rather than the ionosphere. It is the decay
of the D Region that permits skip in the MW frequencies.
It is found in "FAQ Related to Propagation of Radio Waves" and is a
good primer on propagation.
http://www.qsl.net/vu2msy/propagation.htm

Old January 14th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

It's 24 degrees here. About 1 to 1.5 inches of ice has fell over the past 30
hours. Expecting another inch over the next 24 hours. Cable TV and lights
have started to flicker this afternoon, so the wires are starting to feel
the stress.

Old January 14th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 16:53:09 -0500, dxAce
wrote:

David wrote:

http://ecjones.org/propag.html

"Tropospheric scatter: The only form of propagation that is directly influenced
by the surface weather of the
earth... Finally, this propagation effect is seen most often in the VHF and UHF
bands, especially the 6m band."

Not shortwave. Nice try.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Southern California has several seasonally persistent inversion layer
situations. Besides, we're in uncharted territory regarding the
atmosphere in general; never say never.
Old January 14th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

elmer5 wrote:
It's 24 degrees here.

Where is "here"???
Old January 21st 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Father Mike wrote:

bpnjensen wrote:

Henry Kolesnik wrote:
This is a long and perhpas delerious shot but there may something
called thermal momentum a far reach but here goes. The hot water
may be cooling at a faster rate and forgets to wait on the cold
water to catch up.

I've thought of this too, and it is very tempting - but taken by
itself it violates the law and concept of "flux is proportional to
the gradient," and so I have to ween myself off the impulse.

BJ, could this just be a simple case of water behaving badly?

All I know is global warming won't be enough to thaw the brain freeze
affecting Al Gore or the rest of the global warming crowd.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old January 21st 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:42:16 -0800, Telamon
wrote:

In article ,
Father Mike wrote:

bpnjensen wrote:

Henry Kolesnik wrote:
This is a long and perhpas delerious shot but there may something
called thermal momentum a far reach but here goes. The hot water
may be cooling at a faster rate and forgets to wait on the cold
water to catch up.

I've thought of this too, and it is very tempting - but taken by
itself it violates the law and concept of "flux is proportional to
the gradient," and so I have to ween myself off the impulse.

BJ, could this just be a simple case of water behaving badly?

All I know is global warming won't be enough to thaw the brain freeze
affecting Al Gore or the rest of the global warming crowd.

There is no ''global warming crowd''. There are people who see
what's plainly in front of their faces and there are people who
deserve to go extinct.
Old January 21st 07, 05:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
David wrote:

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:42:16 -0800, Telamon
wrote:

In article ,
Father Mike wrote:

bpnjensen wrote:

Henry Kolesnik wrote:
This is a long and perhpas delerious shot but there may something
called thermal momentum a far reach but here goes. The hot water
may be cooling at a faster rate and forgets to wait on the cold
water to catch up.

I've thought of this too, and it is very tempting - but taken by
itself it violates the law and concept of "flux is proportional to
the gradient," and so I have to ween myself off the impulse.

BJ, could this just be a simple case of water behaving badly?

All I know is global warming won't be enough to thaw the brain freeze
affecting Al Gore or the rest of the global warming crowd.

There is no ''global warming crowd''. There are people who see
what's plainly in front of their faces and there are people who
deserve to go extinct.

There are people that are totally retarded that don't know how to
observe empirical data and draw the right conclusions. Morons observe
what is right in front of them and pull from thin air the wrong
causation.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California