Old February 1st 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default RF-2200 Question/AM DX

I am only one mile for the Atlantic Ocean in Hobe Sound,FL and do not
seem to get transatalantic DX on theis machine. It is great in pulling
in stateside DX, but it does not seem to get transatlantic DX. I have
a rooftop 100ft long wire that runs down through the window, but it
does not seem so to help. My Lafayette HE-10 seems to get better Am
DX that this radio hooked up to the same radio. Am I doing something
wrong? Even my S-38 does better on BCB DX.

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"
Old February 1st 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 1, 5:45 pm, "Count Floyd"
CountFloyd@MonsterChillerHorrorTheater wrote:
I am only one mile for the Atlantic Ocean in Hobe Sound,FL and do not
seem to get transatalantic DX on theis machine. It is great in pulling
in stateside DX, but it does not seem to get transatlantic DX. I have
a rooftop 100ft long wire that runs down through the window, but it
does not seem so to help. My Lafayette HE-10 seems to get better Am
DX that this radio hooked up to the same radio. Am I doing something
wrong? Even my S-38 does better on BCB DX.

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"

Get closer to the water.

Old February 1st 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 1, 5:45 pm, "Count Floyd"
CountFloyd@MonsterChillerHorrorTheater wrote:
I am only one mile for the Atlantic Ocean in Hobe Sound,FL and do not
seem to get transatalantic DX on theis machine. It is great in pulling
in stateside DX, but it does not seem to get transatlantic DX. I have
a rooftop 100ft long wire that runs down through the window, but it
does not seem so to help. My Lafayette HE-10 seems to get better Am
DX that this radio hooked up to the same radio. Am I doing something
wrong? Even my S-38 does better on BCB DX.

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"

Dear Count,

The Lafayette Model HE-10 is one fantastic receiver, very much under-
rated today. Its sensitivity is far better than its specifications
would seem to indicate and its selectivity is excellent also. Many
years ago, from my former home in New Jersey, with a 100' random long
wire antenna (probably similar to yours) I was able to clearly hear
the then clear-channel KFI, 640 kc/s, Los Angeles, CA. Not being a
medium wave DXer at that time (or even today; I used to like to listen
to baseball games on the stations in the actual cities, however) I
probably missed out on hearing trans-Atlantic signals on the MWs (I
wasn't trying for those).

While the Panasonic RF-2200 is supposed to be an excellent receiver
(and, according to RadioIntel's review, still highly prized by MW
DXers), it is, nonetheless, a portable, with a portable's shortcomings
(for example, circuitry has to be designed with battery consumption
considered first, performance second).

But that's why many of us have more than one radio. Enjoy your HE-10.
Keep it in good condition. Other than analog tuning, it will
outperform any portable currently on the market (with the possible
exception of the Etón E1).

Please note that I do not own a Panasonic RF-2200 or an Etón E1. The
above are just my thoughts.

Best,

Joe

Old February 2nd 07, 11:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 1, 6:55 pm, "Joe Analssandrini"
wrote:
On Feb 1, 5:45 pm, "Count Floyd"

CountFloyd@MonsterChillerHorrorTheater wrote:
I am only one mile for the Atlantic Ocean in Hobe Sound,FL and do not
seem to get transatalantic DX on theis machine. It is great in pulling
in stateside DX, but it does not seem to get transatlantic DX. I have
a rooftop 100ft long wire that runs down through the window, but it
does not seem so to help. My Lafayette HE-10 seems to get better Am
DX that this radio hooked up to the same radio. Am I doing something
wrong? Even my S-38 does better on BCB DX.

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"

Dear Count,

The Lafayette Model HE-10 is one fantastic receiver, very much under-
rated today. Its sensitivity is far better than its specifications
would seem to indicate and its selectivity is excellent also.

Though I can't comment on the Lafayette, I can say that the
selectivity on the RF-2200 isn't up to the task of split frequency MW
DX. For stateside DX its fine, as the channels are all 10 kHz apart.
Maybe on a good night you may try for some of the Carribean channels
that are on the 5's, but Europeans are probably out of reach.

Old February 3rd 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 23:55:28 UTC, "Joe Analssandrini"
wrote:

[...]

exception of the Et˘n E1).

Please note that I do not own a Panasonic RF-2200 or an Et˘n E1. The
above are just my thoughts.

Best,

Joe

Joe,
Thanks for the good words. Yes, this HE-10 has been recapped,
restored, realigned and it really pulls in the stations. My antenna
is on the roof, and leads straight down through the window. The long
side faces NE/SW, with the ends facing N/S. With the IF Gain cranked
all the way, as per the manual, it is really hot on all bands, even
the top channels up to 30mc! My RF-2200 is great for stateside DX,
regularly pulling in the NYC stations in the early AM/Evening with the
rotating antenna. As for the battery consumption, this thing is
fantastic, haven't changed the batteries in months and it just keeps
delivering! Again, thanks for the replies. I remember pulling in
KOMA, KFI and the Dallas all night station, the one with the nation
wide trucker show, can't remember the station or the host now when I
lived in OK and other places out west. Now, living on the east coast
of FL, now I can't seem to get beyond the MS River!

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"

Old February 3rd 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply, yes you are right, the stateside DX booms in as
does the Caribbean, but the Atlantic DX just isn't there. The radio
is like new, sharp as a tack, listen to the NYC stations regularly
here in South Florida, but nada with the Europeans, even when I took
it to the beach, just one mile away.

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"

Pirate 6.925 at 22:00 UTC [email protected] Shortwave 1 November 15th 06 01:20 AM
IBRA Radio B04 Mike Terry Shortwave 0 November 3rd 04 06:43 PM
VT Communications B'04 Mike Terry Shortwave 1 October 12th 04 07:14 PM
FS: New AA 2200 mAh Ni-MH Nexcell Rechargeable Batteries N4GOD Swap 1 July 17th 04 06:13 AM
7460 @ 22:00 UTC ??? Michael Shortwave 1 June 12th 04 11:17 PM