Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old February 22nd 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Dec 2006
Posts: 41
Default Panasonic "World boy" custom model# RF-850HB ac/dc radio. AM/FM/SW

A few days ago I picked up at an estate sale, for 3 dollars, a
National
Panasonic "World boy" custom model# RF-850HB ac/dc radio. AM/FM/SW.
12 transistor 8 diodes. Has anyone seen or heard one of these
radios? I am amazed, extremely amazed at the volume and sound quality
of this little portable. I can't believe that it sounds so well.
Volume is loud, too loud; speaker distorts finally at upper limits of
the volume control. But the sound is high-fidelity, crisp, clear,
clean. Lows below and the highs are crisp and clear. Unbelievable.
Made in Japan in 1968. Came with one of those period ersatz leather
cases. On the case handle there is a small pouch containing the
earphone. Excellent condition. I'm telling you, Bose has nothing on
this radio. I opened it up to clean the band selector, and noticed
the transistors. a few of the familiar period cans, but several very
small white "pucks" looking much like SMD technology, with the three
leads coming out the sides. Marked with 459, 185, 183, etc. Two
transistors I couldn't see, but I believe the were mounted push-pull
for the audio final under and on the metal plate lining the underside
of the battery box. The Japanese did well back in th' day with this
one. Sensitive, too. Picks up as well as my Worldstar or Grundig.
It has a 7" ferrite rod inside and a small telescoping whip.


  #2   Report Post  
Old February 22nd 07, 01:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 290
Default Panasonic "World boy" custom model# RF-850HB ac/dc radio. AM/FM/SW

On Feb 21, 11:21 pm, "tack" wrote:
A few days ago I picked up at an estate sale, for 3 dollars, a
National
Panasonic "World boy" custom model# RF-850HB ac/dc radio. AM/FM/SW.
12 transistor 8 diodes. Has anyone seen or heard one of these
radios?


Congratulations on a good deal!

Panasonic, Sony, Sanyo, Toshiba, Regency and lots of lesser known
brands made some really nice sounding transistorized portable radios
back then. One that I particularly enjoyed was an AM only GE model
with an integral leather case that used at least 3 D batteries. That
estate sale bargain had audio that was clear and mellow and could
easily fill a room. The large built-in ferrite antenna allowed a lot
of stations to be caught, but I used it mostly as a shop radio.



I am amazed, extremely amazed at the volume and sound quality
of this little portable. I can't believe that it sounds so well.
Volume is loud, too loud; speaker distorts finally at upper limits of
the volume control. But the sound is high-fidelity, crisp, clear,
clean. Lows below and the highs are crisp and clear. Unbelievable.
Made in Japan in 1968. Came with one of those period ersatz leather
cases.


I'm surprised because most of my transistor radios, even the cheapo
drugstore specials from that period came with real leather slip-off
cases.

On the case handle there is a small pouch containing the
earphone. Excellent condition. I'm telling you, Bose has nothing on
this radio. I opened it up to clean the band selector, and noticed
the transistors. a few of the familiar period cans, but several very
small white "pucks" looking much like SMD technology, with the three
leads coming out the sides. Marked with 459, 185, 183, etc. Two
transistors I couldn't see, but I believe the were mounted push-pull
for the audio final under and on the metal plate lining the underside
of the battery box. The Japanese did well back in th' day with this
one. Sensitive, too. Picks up as well as my Worldstar or Grundig.
It has a 7" ferrite rod inside and a small telescoping whip.



  #3   Report Post  
Old February 22nd 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,862
Default Panasonic "Worldboy" custom model# RF-850HB ac/dc radio. AM/FM/SW

I have at least one or two old National Panasonic Radios which date back
to that era.I don't think I have one that is a World Boy
though.Yep,National Panasonic are good radios.When I was in the
Army,usually you would find me toting a little radio around in my shirt
pocket.
cuhulin

  #4   Report Post  
Old February 22nd 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Dec 2006
Posts: 41
Default Panasonic "World boy" custom model# RF-850HB ac/dc radio. AM/FM/SW

On Feb 22, 10:51 am, wrote:
I have at least one or two old National Panasonic Radios which date back
to that era.I don't think I have one that is a World Boy
though.Yep,National Panasonic are good radios.When I was in the
Army,usually you would find me toting a little radio around in my shirt
pocket.
cuhulin


I'll have to go look again; maybe it is a real leather case. The
strap has a little pouch that still contains the earphone. It needs
an AC cord, though. I ordered one that fits a Transoceanic D7000,
American version. The dimensions appear to be right.
My wife was even impressed with the sound. She has it in the kitchen
now. Took it away from me. The power switch is a rocker type and is
smooth, along with the smooth slider volume control. The tone control
is interesting; it is a slider, but it must be tapped. At the far
left it's marked "news" and seems to accentuate the center audio
freqs; as the control is moved right, near the center it is marked
"soft" and the tone does soften. As the control is moved farther
right towards the area marked "music" the highs are brought out, and
are brought out very well. The dial lamp is out. I'll need to look
at that.

  #5   Report Post  
Old February 22nd 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,862
Default Panasonic "Worldboy" custom model# RF-850HB ac/dc radio. AM/FM/SW

Sound quality on some of those old radios will amaze you.At Shannon
Wright Compound,I was sitting in one of our trucks with Martin,(he is an
Indian from Minnesota,not India Indian,American Indian) we was waiting
on some of our Helicopters to come in,so we could load them up again
with more Rockets and small arms Ammunition.I had my bigger portable
radio turned on,Motorola.He commented on how good my radio sounded.Real
pleasant mellow sound.
cuhulin



  #6   Report Post  
Old February 22nd 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Dec 2006
Posts: 41
Default Panasonic "World boy" custom model# RF-850HB ac/dc radio. AM/FM/SW

On Feb 22, 2:13 pm, "tack" wrote:
On Feb 22, 10:51 am, wrote:

I have at least one or two old National Panasonic Radios which date back
to that era.I don't think I have one that is a World Boy
though.Yep,National Panasonic are good radios.When I was in the
Army,usually you would find me toting a little radio around in my shirt
pocket.
cuhulin


I'll have to go look again; maybe it is a real leather case. The
strap has a little pouch that still contains the earphone. It needs
an AC cord, though. I ordered one that fits a Transoceanic D7000,
American version. The dimensions appear to be right.
My wife was even impressed with the sound. She has it in the kitchen
now. Took it away from me. The power switch is a rocker type and is
smooth, along with the smooth slider volume control. The tone control
is interesting; it is a slider, but it must be tapped. At the far
left it's marked "news" and seems to accentuate the center audio
freqs; as the control is moved right, near the center it is marked
"soft" and the tone does soften. As the control is moved farther
right towards the area marked "music" the highs are brought out, and
are brought out very well. The dial lamp is out. I'll need to look
at that.



Yeah, I guess it really is leather. it's just stiff like cardboard.
No cracks yet, maybe I out to treat it. Strap is clearly plastic
though.

  #7   Report Post  
Old February 22nd 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,862
Default Panasonic "Worldboy" custom model# RF-850HB ac/dc radio. AM/FM/SW

www.ccrane.com doesn't know S..t about radios.I have owned two of
those no d..n good pieces of plastic Crap before.I sent them back to
Fortuna,California.Never,But Never buy anything fron ccrane dot Crap.
cuhulin

  #8   Report Post  
Old February 22nd 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Dec 2006
Posts: 41
Default Panasonic "World boy" custom model# RF-850HB ac/dc radio. AM/FM/SW

On Feb 22, 2:43 pm, wrote:
www.ccrane.com doesn't know S..t about radios.I have owned two of
those no d..n good pieces of plastic Crap before.I sent them back to
Fortuna,California.Never,But Never buy anything fron ccrane dot Crap.
cuhulin



Crane is heavily marketed in some venues. like late night talk radio.
Crane's stuff is made cheap overseas. I did buy one though, Many
years ago. The Sangean CCRadio. It's AM/FM/WX. It is pretty
sensitive and brings in the weather very well. That was the main
reason I bought it. I live in tornado country. Its main claim to
fame is its DX capabilities in those bands. Only 5 presets though.
Digital with alarm. I put in my order as soon as I heard about it,
and I got a very low serial number. But it was recalled for a defect;
I sent it back and it returned repaired. As far as it goes, it's OK,
but the sound quality is what you'd expect from a cheap plastic
portable made nowadays.
What is the problem with making good-sounding radios? Is it that they
don't want to use quality speakers, or push-pull audio circuits with
quality components? With current technology, good tone control ought
to be nothing.

  #9   Report Post  
Old February 22nd 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Dec 2006
Posts: 41
Default Panasonic "World boy" custom model# RF-850HB ac/dc radio. AM/FM/SW

On Feb 22, 2:43 pm, wrote:
www.ccrane.com doesn't know S..t about radios.I have owned two of
those no d..n good pieces of plastic Crap before.I sent them back to
Fortuna,California.Never,But Never buy anything fron ccrane dot Crap.
cuhulin



Of course I bought my radio many years ago. Crane used to have a good
reoutation. What happened; did he use to have a good supplier that
dried up? Sangean just put his name on their radio. Maybe Sangean
went to crap.

  #10   Report Post  
Old February 22nd 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,862
Default Panasonic "Worldboy" custom model# RF-850HB ac/dc radio. AM/FM/SW

I think Wal Mart stores sell Bag Balm in the pets department.I have
never used it before and I don't know if it's good for treating
leather.Maybe some Saddle Soap would work ok.I have some old,old,old
Popular Mechanics and Popular Science and Science and Mechanics and
Mechanix Illustrated magazines here.I think I have seen some ads in
those old magazines before about a product that is suppose to be good
for treating and restoring leather seats in automobiles.I don't know if
the product is still available though.If there is a place near you that
sells Horse Tackle,ask them.
cuhulin



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1402 ­ June 25, 2004 Radionews Policy 1 June 26th 04 02:07 AM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1402 ­ June 25, 2004 Radionews CB 0 June 25th 04 07:31 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1402 ­ June 25, 2004 Radionews Dx 0 June 25th 04 07:28 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1402 ­ June 25, 2004 Radionews Dx 0 June 25th 04 07:28 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1379 – January 16, 2004 Radionews CB 0 January 18th 04 09:36 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 RadioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Radio"

 

Copyright © 2017