Old February 27th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Software for the Drake R8B: SWLog 5

I started the SWLog V5 (build 2609) install on a 3.2GHz XPHome laptop.
I was reluctant to install it on the laptop, because it lacks an
RS-232 port, and would require the use of a USB to RS-232 adapter. I'm
happy to report, that the Future Technology Devices International Ltd.
http://www.ftdichip.com/ product functions flawlessly with
MS-WinXP-Home and SWLog V5 (build 2609).

SWLog is the best of the lot of computer-based radio control programs
I've had an opportunity to evaluate. Ergo4 has a few nice features,
and RxPlus seems to have even more, but SWLog seems the most
feature-rich and stable of the three.

SWLog does a lot more than either of them, and it's stable with a
solid feel, unlike other similar software. SWLog's installation can
be daunting, and, once installed, populating the databases is tedious,
but the rewards are awesome! Not only does SWLog do all the things
you'd expect it to do, it supports ~50 receivers, provides useful
recording means, and it enables operation of the radio receiver over
TCP/ip! Well done! The layout is reasonable and graphically
pleasing. Operation is smooth. And it provides a lot of _USEFUL_
tools for the Short Wave Listener. And unbelievably, it's author, Bob
Sillett, has generously chosen to provide his work absolutely FREE!
What a guy!

As I acquire more experience using SWLog, I'll keep you apprised of my
opinions. So far, SWLog appears to be the software of choice for
SWLing with an R8B.

I've yet to properly evaluate HamRadioDeluxe. It seems to be geared
more toward armature radio than SWLing.

Unfortunately, TK75 doesn't support the R. L. Drake R8B receiver.

Mark Fine's Smart R8 Control 32 v3.23 might be equivalent to
SmartIcomControl, but for the Drake R8 series of receivers. It seems
to permit editing the Drake R8B's 1,000 hardware memory presets
directly. That would be useful. There's a copy available he
http://www.nfbnet.org/download/hams.htm .

DXtra's WorldStation 4.1 http://www.dxtra.com/ Supports the R8B, but
I wasn't able to locate an evaluation download.

Old February 28th 07, 11:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 22:21:50 -0500, "Paul Zak"
wrote in
:

If you really enjoy & use SWLog, feel free to help support future
development

Thank you for the invitation.