Old March 6th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default WalMart sells HD

"Radiola" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 6, 8:24 am, Bob Miller wrote:
Heard on NPR this morning WalMart can now purvey to you fine HD
radios.

bob
k5qwg

Here's a question. Why would anyone in their right mind spend over
two hundred dollars for a small table radio who's sound quality is
marginal at best?

One, prices are going down rapidly. Radio Shack has had units on sale for
$99, in fact.

Second, the HD audio on FM is superior to the analog FM audio. AM is
digital, and free of most man-made and ambient interference.

Old March 7th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 6, 4:31�pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Radiola" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Mar 6, 8:24 am, Bob Miller wrote:
Heard on NPR this morning WalMart can now purvey to you *fine HD
radios.

bob
k5qwg

Here's a question. *Why would anyone in their right mind spend over
two hundred dollars for a small table radio who's sound quality is
marginal at best?

One, prices are going down rapidly. Radio Shack has had units on sale for
$99, in fact.

Second, the HD audio on FM is superior to the analog FM audio. AM is
digital, and free of most man-made and ambient interference.

"Meet your new competition"

"And demand for all Internet services - not simply audio - will drive
product development, marketing, and sales. In other words, the
platform will not have to be sold. It will just have to be bought. And
that's a key distinction differentiating these services from satellite
and HD radio - both of which need both selling and buying. And right
now there's a whole lot of the former going on and not enough of the
latter. By necessity, satellite is already branching into video and
WiFi solutions while HD radio is still trying to emerge from its
shell."

http://www.hear2.com/2006/12/meet_your_new_c.html

What you are attempting to do, is exactly what is wrong with HD Radio.

Old March 7th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 6 Mar 2007 08:51:15 -0800, "Radiola" wrote:

On Mar 6, 8:24 am, Bob Miller wrote:
Heard on NPR this morning WalMart can now purvey to you fine HD
radios.

bob
k5qwg

Here's a question. Why would anyone in their right mind spend over
two hundred dollars for a small table radio who's sound quality is
marginal at best? On another note how can you appreciate the quality
of HD radio with such an inadequate reproduction system? The Boston
Acoustics radio is not bad, I've heard worse, but still it's so
limited. This makes as much sense as receiving HDTV programming on a
1980's Sanyo television. It loses something in the translation, so to
speak.

It makes more sense if it has an output you could plug into a nice
stereo system -- a simple HD tuner would be a nice deal, if there's
enough local programming to justify it. It would also have to compete
with the stations at the low end of the FM band where all kinds of
alternative, jazz and classical music is available relatively
commercial free. I wouldn't welcome five minute commercial breaks on
HD programming.

bob
k5qwg

Old March 7th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 7, 9:06 am, Bob Miller wrote:
[...]

Absolutely. The smaller speaker all in one sets just don't cut it and
do justice to HD's new technology and potential. I did some shopping
around for the full up receivers for home stereo use. Around 1k
bucks. Uhh, not yet. FM radio is not worth that much, at least not
yet.

Old March 7th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 6, 12:24�pm, Bob Miller wrote:
Heard on NPR this morning WalMart can now purvey to you *fine HD
radios.

bob
k5qwg

"HD Radio Wal-Mart Style"

http://insidemusicmedia.blogspot.com...art-style.html

"What Wal*Mart's HD Radio announcement means"

"But there's a dark side to that distribution, and it's this: What if
simply making radios available isn't enough to induce consumers to buy
and use them? As I've said before, the issue with HD has never been
about availability - as we will soon discover. The issue has been
about the fundamental value proposition."

http://www.hear2.com/2007/03/what_wa....html#comments

It doesn't mean jack-**** - HD radios are not selling. This expensive
in-dash HD radio would need to be installed somewhere else - only
lower-class citizens shop at Wal Mart, just like K Mart and any big-
box retailer. I shopped at Wal Mart, at the beach, and I felt like I
stepped into a thrid-world country.

Old March 7th 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
ps.com...
only
lower-class citizens shop at Wal Mart, just like K Mart and any big-
box retailer. I shopped at Wal Mart, at the beach, and I felt like I
stepped into a thrid-world country.

Of course, this is not true, either.

About 1/3 of WalMart shoppers are what they call "value conscious" which is
the internal term for middle and upper income consumers who buy staples at
WalMart because they are frugal and like a good deal.