Old March 21st 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Very close to giving up ...

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:14:39 +0100, JeroenK wrote:

Hey All,

I know I'm not contributing that much to this group, nevertheless I'd
like to say I'm very close to giving up on this group and moving on to
other places that cost me less time to wade through to find the few
worthwhile posts.

Its no fun spending this amount of time to wade through and be left with
less then 5% or so posts actually worth reading.

I'm surprised not many others speak up. Maybe they already left long
ago. Also because of the political and propaganda posts that fill up
this group.

Anyway, just wanted to say before I just silently go away. Maybe it
helps, maybe not

Have a good day all,

Don't give up. I make good use of my filtering system. If you use a
decent newsreader (Thunderbird is "ok"), you can keep yourself from ever
seeing 80% of the crap, while not missing 99% of the worthwhile stuff.

If you need help with the filter set up, let me know. I would be glad to
assist.

-Al

Old March 21st 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Al Arduengo schreef:

Don't give up. I make good use of my filtering system. If you use a
decent newsreader (Thunderbird is "ok"), you can keep yourself from ever
seeing 80% of the crap, while not missing 99% of the worthwhile stuff.

I'm using SpamPal for my regular email filtering, as I found
Thunderbirds' heuristic system giving me too many false positives. I'm
unaware though if SpamPal can be used for Usenet also.

I think it would be hard to shift the worthwhile posts from these
threads from the useful ones though. Same posters, normal English, etc.
Although I'm sure it will help with the spam.

If you need help with the filter set up, let me know. I would be glad to
assist.

I have been unable to find a setting for newsgroups only filtering.
Closest I found was "local folders". Otherwise I'm using separate
accounts for all my email accounts, so "local folders" is completely idle.

If you have any tips, they're welcome! I wonder though how useful it is
as some of the posters in these flamewars also make useful posts in the
same type of English. I'm really curious whether heuristics will help
there... But I love to be proven wrong on this one

--
JeroenK
Old March 21st 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:27:10 +0100, JeroenK wrote:

Al Arduengo schreef:

[...]

Unfortunately Thunderbird (aka Mozilla mail, Netscape mail) do not
offer very sophisticated USENET capabilities. Regular expressions are
your friend. My filters look for lots of specific words in the
subject, certain authors, and cross posting. In regexp form, a
subject and author search would be perhaps:

if subject contains "terror|bush|clinton|iraq|MI5", set score = -9999,
never expire

if author contains "hd radio|cuhulin", set score = -9999, never expire

Sure, this might filter out a rare post about Iraq radio, or some such
thing, but most of the time, it works well.

You get the idea. If you use windows, I might suggest Gravity or Pan.
Pan is my reader of choice in Linux and Windows.

Cheers.
-Al

Old March 21st 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Al Arduengo schreef:

[...]

there... But I love to be proven wrong on this one - Hide quoted text -

Ah, that is too much trouble !

Giving out free QRP transmitters [email protected] Swap 0 May 22nd 06 05:47 PM
Thanks-Giving 2005 [email protected] Policy 1 November 26th 05 06:26 AM
Thanks-Giving 2005 Steveo CB 0 November 26th 05 06:26 AM
Wonder why the FCC is giving away the airways? Here is why. Night Ranger General 1 December 7th 03 02:10 AM
US giving SW radios to Afghanistan Sanjaya Shortwave 2 November 30th 03 02:44 AM