Old April 4th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default AM IBOC cripples installed base of over 150 million receivers in USA

On Apr 4, 4:50 pm, blitz wrote:

Three in my location completely obliterate 120khz of extra bandwidth
(and some stations offering content I can't get here).

I think that's probably a problem with your particular receiver - too
wide-band?

I have some cheap-ass AM radios that will only pick up three or four
of the big guns at various parts on the dial. Sometimes one over the
other. That's a worst case scenario anyway

But most consumer radios - especially the no-brand/off-brand types -
are not very selective when it comes to the MW band anymore.

--
Stephanie Weil
New York City, USA

Old April 4th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default AM IBOC cripples installed base of over 150 million receiversi...

Let me go to SPRACI and find that room.I will find those uppity kiss
assholes again in that F....d up phonograph room again.I Hate their
guts!!!!!!!!
cuhulin

Old April 4th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Police Docket.South Texas.bush rape.Go Look it up.
cuhulin

Old April 5th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 4 Apr 2007 07:01:04 -0700, "Stephanie Weil"
wrote:

On Apr 3, 11:14 pm, David wrote:

The IBOC signal takes up 5 channels.

My point is, Is the radio still PLAYING and picking up a station?

steph

Not as many as before.
Old April 5th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 4 Apr., 21:45, blitz wrote:

It's all my receivers. I dx fairly regularly, AM and FM. I can get
adjacent stations next to some strong locals (who don't run IBOC).

Most contemporary commercial radios are not designed for DX on MW.
They are designed for local stations.

But try it on your own. How wide is the splatter on your receivers?

It depends on the radio. I will say some of my hi-fidelity radios
sound like total crap. As far as the splatter, obviously you're going
to get the distant stations covered up by the local station's
sidebands.

But again, DXers are in the minority and the radio manufacturers are
catering to the majority of people who tend to exclusively listen to
local stations. Simple economics.

--
Stephanie Weil
New York City, USA

Old April 5th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I love them naked old crazy wimmins.
cuhulin

Old April 5th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Metinks I needs to slap (I have to go peee,I fell down,,,,,, help me me
pk mlelf up,dogy

cuhulin

Old April 5th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hey Bueberrydoggy whas hat
cuu;in

Old April 6th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 5 Apr 2007 07:17:27 -0700, "Stephanie Weil"
wrote:

On 4 Apr., 21:45, blitz wrote:

Most contemporary commercial radios are not designed for DX on MW.
They are designed for local stations.

That is ridiculous.

It depends on the radio. I will say some of my hi-fidelity radios
sound like total crap.

That makes no sense.

But again, DXers are in the minority and the radio manufacturers are
catering to the majority of people who tend to exclusively listen to
local stations. Simple economics.

Ever driven cross-country? At night?

Ever lived more than 30 miles outside of town, or in a part of a city
that wasn't built up when the AM stations were built?

My 2007 SUV has a very high-performance AM radio and I can hear
stations 400+ miles away very nicely, thank-you.

Old April 6th 07, 04:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 5, 9:57 pm, David wrote:

That is ridiculous.

No. Most manufacturers choose to devote more attention to the FM
band. AM on modern commercial radios (and I'm talking the kind of set
you'd have at work or in the kitchen on top of the fridge, not a
dedicated SWL set like a Drake or Transoceanic) is practically DEAF!

Some of the name-brand radios are slightly better, but they're still
nowhere near what they were even 20 or 30 years ago.

Even my Kloss Tivoli Model 1 tuner (which is very great on FM) is
pretty much only good for local AM stations).

That makes no sense.

Listen to an AM station doing IBOC on a high-fidelity radio like a
Kloss Tivoli, Sangean WR-1 or even a Boston Acoustic's Recepter.

You'll hear the station sound hissy and you'll notice the audio "clip"
because of the sidebands (thanks to the wide-band tuner) and the
further compression of the analog portion of the signal. And that's
with the radio tuned correctly.

So basically your US$100.00 radio is left sounding worse than the
speaker on an answering machine.

Ever driven cross-country? At night?

A few times. I can drive from New York to Boston or even almost to
Chicago without changing the station. But how many people do you
think are going to put up with the swishy, wavy audio?

The other people that were in the car with me could not STAND it. One
even complained about it making her sea-sick. So I hunted for local
signals, mostly on FM to keep the passengers happy.

My 2007 SUV has a very high-performance AM radio and I can hear
stations 400+ miles away very nicely, thank-you.

Car radios usually have always had better front ends than most table
radios used in the house.

Stephanie Weil
New York City, USA