Old April 5th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default S 350 DL

I've had my Tecsun BCL3000 for about a year and a half with no problems. It
works just as I expected.

I had a Grundig FR200 radio that I used at the office, but after three
months of use, the volume control got very noisy. I got a replacement, and
it developed the same problem. My BCL3000 did not develop this problem and
all the controls work well. The tuning knob was a little stiff when I first
got it, but it has loosened up a bit since, and it's easy to tune. Despite
all the negative comments, I find my BCL3000 is an all around fun radio to
use. I use a PK AM loop antenna with my radio, and I can pick up weak
stations just fine.

"lsmyer" wrote in message
Congratulations on your cool new radio. I have a Tecsun BCL-2000 (Chinese
version of the S-350) which I really like, and I've also considered the
S-350DL.

How does your new radio's performance (sensitivity, sound, drifting,
tuning) compare with your original S-350?

For some reason, some of the people who post here get really worked up
over the S-350DL. Don't let their criticism ruin your enjoyment of your
new radio.

Old April 5th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 5, 10:52 am, Count
wrote:
On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 14:37:55 UTC, "Roadie" wrote:
On Apr 4, 7:29 pm, (Michael Black) wrote:
"SWL-2010" ) writes:
I havn't had time to sit down and tune it much yet, but so far so good. I
can't detect any drift to amount to anything. The sound is great. The two
tone controls make it rich, or flat, any way you want it. And so far, like
my older S350, the sensitivity is very good. I've used my S350 a great deal,
so I thought I would get the newer verision since the price was right at
only a hundred bucks.

What some people forget is what it was like to have a low end receiver
forty years or so ago.

I bought a Hallicrafter's S120A (as I've mentioned before, it was a solid
state receiver) in the summer of 1971, and paid something like $80, maybe a
bit more, here in Canada. It was about the cheapest new receiver I could
buy, and it was barely within my price range.

It got the really strong signals, and not much else. It overloaded badly,
it seemed to be from FM broadcast stations or maybe TV. The BFO was so
weak that it wasn't useable for receiving SSB. The dial had all kinds of
exotic locations listed on it, but not only was the calibration way off,
but frequency readout was like "it's closer to the .5 than the .0 mark".
It had horrible backlash on the tuning knob. It was awful.

I claim it was the world's worst shortwave receiver, but I suspect it
wasn't that different from many of the low end solid state receivers from
the period, before real advancements had been made in making good solid
state shortwave receivers. We suffered through them because we couldn't
afford anything better.

I imagine a $20 shortwave portable from Radio Shack today couldn't be
worse than that old Hallicrafter's. Plus, you'd get a digital readout,
and likely the tuning knob (if it wasn't tuned by up/down buttons) would
have less backlash than that first receiver of mine.

That doesn't mean that relative to better receivers of today the low
end are perfect, merely that they can't be worse, and may be better
for the simple reason that design has changed.

Michael

I think an old Hallicrafters S120A, Lafayette HA230 or Realistic
DX150b are good examples of radios that were for very good reasons
popular once upon a time. They can be fun to spin the dials on even
today. Ultimately however, I think they serve as a benchmark from
which to measure how far radio technology has advanced.

It would not be difficult to find a digitally tuned portable priced at
$50.00 to $100.00 that will substantially out perform any of those
oldies. But it won't look or feel like a bandspread tuned receiver
either, and it won't give the tactile and aural pleasure of slowly
turning a weighted bandspread knob and listening carefully as stations
gradually come into and out of tune. Eventually, when finding a
specific station or jumping from band to band goes to slowly the game
gets a little old.

My first sw radio was an S-120, my mother got it for me for Christmas
at Sears. It was terrible on accuracy, not very selective, but when
you are 12 years old, hearing world stations was exciting. I think
that I got over 40 countries QSL'd and many states(from OK at the
time). Now, I have two restored boatanchors: An S-38 and its bigger
twin, a Lafayette HE-10, both provide the experience you mention: the
fun of seeing the old dial lamps and turning the big dials looking for
that elusive station.

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"- Hide quoted text -

Probably the most satisfaction I got from tuning a bandspread receiver
was with a Kenwood R300. It just felt good to look at and use and it
did the job reasonably well. And the xtal marker helped in some
situations.

I owned a National HRO-500 for a while, and turning that massive bank-
vault tuning knob was unadulterated pleasure. It was a royal PITA to
tune and otherwise move around the bands with though.

Old April 5th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Roadie" wrote in message
oups.com...
"SWL-2010" ) writes:
[...]

A Kenwood R-300? I have one sitting right next to me right now. It's one of
my favorites. It's a big beautiful old black receiver in very good
condition, and I use it everyday. It has plenty of controls, and if you get
it calibrated just right, mine is pretty accurate. But the sensitivity is
the great part. Mine doesn't miss anything. I also use my old Drake SSR-1 a
lot too. The Wadley Loop is very accurate. All you do is set the band
switch. Tune in the MHz, and then just tune the main tuning dial for KHz,
and it's right there. It's in very good condition too. I use the Kenwood
and the Drake when I just want to slowly go up and down bands. I could not
even say how enjoyable they are.

I owned a National HRO-500 for a while, and turning that massive bank-
vault tuning knob was unadulterated pleasure. It was a royal PITA to
tune and otherwise move around the bands with though.

I've never tuned a National, but I would love to.

Old April 6th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 5, 6:02 pm, "SWL-2010" wrote:
"Roadie" wrote in message

oups.com...

"SWL-2010" ) writes:
[...]

Hey, it's good to find someone else who has used an R300. Mine worked
great for about 2 years then the bandswitch started to go south. I
called a guy at the then local Kenwood repair depot and he said the
only real fix was to replace the long out of stock switch. So the
R300 was retired.

But it sure was a lot of fun to use. Mine had the SWL bandspread
drum.

I owned a National HRO-500 for a while, and turning that massive bank-
vault tuning knob was unadulterated pleasure. It was a royal PITA to
tune and otherwise move around the bands with though.

I've never tuned a National, but I would love to.

It's an impressive looking unit, and their first fully transistorized
unit. It was surprisingly compact and lightweight. Had 4 filters,
frequency synthesizer, passband tuning and dial resolution to 1khz.
Sold new for the princely sum of $3,000 in the 1960's. I understand
that repair and alignment was quite complex.

Here's a borrowed shot:
http://www.rigpix.com/national/hro500.jpg

Old April 6th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Roadie" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 5, 6:02 pm, "SWL-2010" wrote:
"Roadie" wrote in message

oups.com...

"SWL-2010" ) writes:
[...]

Mine has the amatuer bandspread drum, but it is still usable to set up the
main tuner. The guy I bought it from said he had a hard time finding a buyer
because most guys had no idea how to tune the radio, so, I got it for a
decent price. And you're right, it is just plain fun to use.

I owned a National HRO-500 for a while, and turning that massive bank-
vault tuning knob was unadulterated pleasure. It was a royal PITA to
tune and otherwise move around the bands with though.

I've never tuned a National, but I would love to.

It's an impressive looking unit, and their first fully transistorized
unit. It was surprisingly compact and lightweight. Had 4 filters,
frequency synthesizer, passband tuning and dial resolution to 1khz.
Sold new for the princely sum of $3,000 in the 1960's. I understand
that repair and alignment was quite complex.

That sounds like a fine radio. I didn't know they were that feature rich.
I always knew the National HRO's were expensive, and when I look at E-bay
listings, they still go for a lot of money.
I have several hobbies, but SWL is still my favorite

Here's a borrowed shot:
http://www.rigpix.com/national/hro500.jpg

Oh boy! I love the looks of that! I love that style receiver. A few years
back I had a pair of Allied receivers. One was an AX-190, the other was an
SX-190, both had seperate speakers, and were styed similar to the National.
They had the center dial, and controls to the left and right. I loved that
pair of receivers, and sometimes I wish I would have never sold them. They
were not on the same level of the national of course, but they were
beautiful, and not bad performers either. But that National HRO...WOW, now
thats a radio! I would love to have that.

Old April 15th 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I'm glad to hear that you've enjoyed your S350. I just picked one up
today as my first radio for SWL. I noticed the DL model you were
describing in black, but I didn't see a drastic difference and
decided on a $70.00 unit for my first listening device. The only thing
I was disappointed in was that the sales rep. told me I could also
tune WX frequencies, but I haven't found that to be the case. Not a
huge disappointment though.
Anyhow, thanks for the info as it reinforced my decision to grab this
radio today.

Old April 18th 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

You say Huh??????????? Those stuck up cats in that
rec.amateur.radio+phonograph (or whatever they call it) so-called news
group.I DESPISE them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just because they think they know how to work on AM radios and tv sets
and phonographs,,,, they think they are hot snot and roasted boogers.I
have to watch this other Sanford & Son program on Radi tb now,,, next
up,,, Trees Company.
cuhulin