Old April 16th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Horrible, Horrible HF reception

I recently bought an Icom IC-R3 (hand held communications receiver) and a
Yaesu VX-7R handy-talky (can tune .5 to 1000 Mhz). Both of these devices
can't pick up a single shortwave signal. And this is on a long wire antenna,
not the rubber duckies. (They both receive great on VHF/UHF. The IC-R3 even
manages to pick up fringe TV channels.) The same antenna connected to my old
Kenwood 599 receiver brings in plenty of HF signals, both shortwave
broadcast and amateur.

How can these two new receivers be soooo bad????? I live within a mile of an
AM broadcast station, could that be the problem? (It doesn't bother my old
Kenwood though!) Is anyone successfully listening to shortwave stations with
either of these radios?

I'm was going to buy a new HF amateur rig, but now I'm scared that it might
have poor reception at my location also.

--
Bob D. ND9B

Old April 16th 07, 05:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Try 3.215 mhz ( WWCR )

"WWCR has four 100 Kw state-of-the-art transmitters which serve the world on
10 different broadcasting channels.
Together our transmitters provide over 400 religious and talk programs
direct from Nashville, Tennessee, USA, to a global audience."

You 'should' be able to pick up this station on almost anything, if not, you
may be in a 'dead spot'
We've all noticed certain area's while in a car ( listening to a radio)
where reception seems to fade
to almost nothing, and a few blocks away its back to normal

Also you might want to re-check your antenna, make sure its not broken or
touching a ground
I have an R3 and using a telescopic 'whip', can pick up stronger SW signals
even inside.

m...

Old April 16th 07, 06:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"labtech_one" wrote in message
[...]

The R2 and the Yaesu version suffer greatly from overload and desense when
used with a longwire. Like you, I've had pretty good luck with a collapsible
whip (I used a 19" 2m quarter wave whip on mine with pretty good results.)

Old April 16th 07, 08:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 16 abr, 04:27, "Bob D." wrote:
[...]

Hello Bob,

This is a common problem with hand held wide band receivers. These
receivers cannot handle large signals and picking out the small signal
you want to hear. It is not Kenwood R5000, Drake or JRC.

I have the same problem with an AOR8200 MKII. There are several
solutions.

When the interference comes from a single nearby transmitter, you may
build a "notch filter" for that single frequency. Such a filter may
consist of a series resonant circuit parallel to the antenna input.

It is very likely that the overload is caused by many stations
together. In that case you may build a tunable preselector (some
inductors with an [old] plate variable capacitor). I have that in
combination with my AOR8200. The result can be amazing (from hearing
a station not all to clear reception after insertion of the
preselector).

The disadvantage is that you have to tune the preselector each time
you change your frequency with more then some percent.

For the time being, you may use the smallest possible antenna that
still gives reasonable reception and you may use the attenuator
function (if present).

If you are not in electronics, try to get some help from a radio
amateur.

I use this type of preselector, the zig zag lines are non-coupled
inductors with a tap on it, C = the tunable capacitor. View with fixed
sized font setting (for example Courier).

----------------------
/ | \
\ | /
/ | \
\ --- c /
/ --- \
\ | /
inp----- | --------output
/ | \
\ | /
gnd----------------------------------- gnd

Best Regards

Wim
PA3DJS

Old April 16th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

If you are not in electronics, try to get some help from a radio
amateur.

Best Regards

Wim
PA3DJS

He is a radio amateur, and he even holds an Extra class license.

Old April 16th 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 16 abr, 14:40, dxAce wrote:
watchman wrote:
If you are not in electronics, try to get some help from a radio
amateur.

Best Regards

Wim
PA3DJS

He is a radio amateur, and he even holds an Extra class license.

Do they have an Extra Class license in the Netherlands?

Until some years ago, we had 4 licenses, ranging from A to D

A: theory + 12Wpm morse code (R&W), access to all bands (call sign
starting with PA)
B: theory + 8Wpm morse code (R&W), access to most/all bands, however
with limited power at HF (call sign starting with PB)
C: theory, access to all bands above 30 MHz (call sign starting with
PE).
D: simple theory, access to some parts of 2m and 70 cm only (with
reduced power, call sign starting with PD).

Now, there are 2 licenses only:
F, theory only, access to all bands with mostly 400 Wpep (120W at UHF/
SHF frequencies). There is no morse code requirement.
N. Simple theory only, access to some parts of 40m, 20m, full 10m,
full 2m and full 70 cm, all with max 25W PEP.

For all licenses there are no restrictions in antenna gain, no strict
separation in prefix.

When you pass the test (theory only, no practice at all), after
receiving you call, you have access to everything. There is no
intermediate period or practical test as on some other countries.

¿What are the differences between the Regular Class en US Extra Class?

Best Regards,

Wim
PA3DJS

Old April 16th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

www.MFJEnterprises.com or www.ramseykits.com might have some kits
or already assembled products you can use for better radio reception.But
you probally already know how to build your own anyway.
Are there any other companies in America that sell radio kits and radio
related kits?
cuhulin

Old April 16th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Radio Kit Companies

wrote in message
www.MFJEnterprises.com or www.ramseykits.com might have some kits
or already assembled products you can use for better radio reception.But
you probally already know how to build your own anyway.
Are there any other companies in America that sell radio kits and radio
related kits?
cuhulin

Kits A Bunch at URL:
http://ac6v.com/kits.htm

Keep that soldering iron tinned!
Lamont

Old April 16th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I ordered me a new 2007 Ramsey Kits catalog.(I love gadget catalogs) I
hit the Submit button,it said,Thank You.Your Ramsey request has been
received and is being processed.Now I am fixin to order me a new MFJ
Enterprises catalog and look see around for some more freebie
catalogs.In my old 2001 Ramsey Kits catalog,I saw a camera thingy I am
interested in.
cuhulin,the gadget catalogs dude

Old April 16th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
BDK BDK is offline

In article ,
says...
I recently bought an Icom IC-R3 (hand held communications receiver) and a
Yaesu VX-7R handy-talky (can tune .5 to 1000 Mhz). Both of these devices
can't pick up a single shortwave signal. And this is on a long wire antenna,
not the rubber duckies. (They both receive great on VHF/UHF. The IC-R3 even
manages to pick up fringe TV channels.) The same antenna connected to my old
Kenwood 599 receiver brings in plenty of HF signals, both shortwave
broadcast and amateur.

How can these two new receivers be soooo bad????? I live within a mile of an
AM broadcast station, could that be the problem? (It doesn't bother my old
Kenwood though!) Is anyone successfully listening to shortwave stations with
either of these radios?

I'm was going to buy a new HF amateur rig, but now I'm scared that it might
have poor reception at my location also.

If the Kenwood hears fine, the new HF radio will too. No handheld is
really going to have good HF reception. The best I've ever seen was on
the Yupiteru MVT9000. If wasn't horrible, but at work near pager towers,
and across the river from several radio stations, it was almost totally
deaf regardless of the antenna.

At home, with 10 feet of wire, it worked fairly well.

Comparing a handheld to any decent HF radio is like comparing an old
scooter with a jet fighter.

BDK

Horrible, Horrible HF reception with IC-R3 and VX-7R Bob D. Equipment 0 April 16th 07 03:15 AM
6935 Horrible Example ve3... Shortwave 3 November 25th 06 05:53 PM
Just one picture of the disaster. It is truly horrible. Jonathan L. Segal Shortwave 6 March 27th 05 05:11 AM
Really Horrible SW conditions for the last 6 months [email protected] Shortwave 19 February 6th 05 06:38 AM
really horrible conditions running dogg Shortwave 9 February 6th 05 04:20 AM