Old May 9th 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default What would I hear on a 300 GHz AM Radio Receiver?

On May 8, 6:16 pm, Roadie wrote:

Which 300GHZ AM receiver did you have in mind?

Any theoretical 300 GHz AM receiver. I want to listen to signals from
far outer space.

Since AM is more susceptible to magnetic disruptions, I'd figure, and
AM radio is more likely to pick up interferences from outer space,
than an FM radio. The question is, which frequency is best for this?
Frequencies that are too low are sealed out of the ionosphere, while
frequencies that are too high rapidly disappear [line of sight].

Old May 9th 07, 08:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

" Since AM is more susceptible to magnetic disruptions, I'd figure, and
AM radio is more likely to pick up interferences from outer space,
than an FM radio. The question is, which frequency is best for this?
Frequencies that are too low are sealed out of the ionosphere, while
frequencies that are too high rapidly disappear [line of sight].

I think you need to understand the basics a little more.

AM and FM are types of modulation and are not susceptible in themselves to
magnetic disruptions. You are getting confused by the fact that "medium
wave" broadcasts are referred to as "AM" when describing which frequency
band they are transmitted on. Although they do use Amplitude Modulation
(AM) there is nothing technically to stop you using FM on the same
frequency. The same applies the band known as FM, which is a vhf band, you
could use AM here if you wished.

300GHz is an extremely high microwave frequency anis absorbed by the
atmosphere very quickly, there are few uses for such a high frequency which
is difficult and expensive to use. So most likely you would hear nothing.

Your comments about the atmosphere are correct, low frequencies, below vhf,
are reflected and generally signals from space do not penetrate that well.
vhf and above will. The modulation, AM or FM have no bearing on this.

Jeff

Old May 9th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On May 8, 11:47 pm, Radium wrote:
On May 8, 6:16 pm, Roadie wrote:

Which 300GHZ AM receiver did you have in mind?

Any theoretical 300 GHz AM receiver. I want to listen to signals from
far outer space.

Hmm...I'm going to guess the SN ratio will be quite low when tuning in
hypothetical signals on a theoretical receiver.

Since AM is more susceptible to magnetic disruptions, I'd figure, and
AM radio is more likely to pick up interferences from outer space,
than an FM radio. The question is, which frequency is best for this?
Frequencies that are too low are sealed out of the ionosphere, while
frequencies that are too high rapidly disappear [line of sight].

Look into the SETI project instead. There are established reasons for
tuning around 1420mz and the project is organized.

Old May 9th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Radium" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 8, 6:16 pm, Roadie wrote:

Which 300GHZ AM receiver did you have in mind?

Any theoretical 300 GHz AM receiver. I want to listen to signals from
far outer space.

Since AM is more susceptible to magnetic disruptions, I'd figure, and
AM radio is more likely to pick up interferences from outer space,
than an FM radio. The question is, which frequency is best for this?
Frequencies that are too low are sealed out of the ionosphere, while
frequencies that are too high rapidly disappear [line of sight].

Educate me if I am wrong, but I don't think a receiver capable of receiving
either AM or FM voice signals on 300 GHz exists.

Tam/WB2TT

Old May 9th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On May 7, 12:38 pm, Radium wrote:
Hi:

If my location is in southern California, what would I hear on a
"DXed" 300 GHz AM Radio Receiver? Would there be a specific difference
between what I would hear at night and what I would hear during the
day?

On medium-wave station, I notice the interference -- in the form of
tones -- to be louder at night than the day. Does this difference also
apply to extreme shortwave frequencies as high as 300 GHz?

NOTE: I am aware than 300 GHz is most likely FM, not AM. However, am
still curious as to what I would hear on a 300 GHz AM receiver.

Thanks,

Radium

Chances are you will be able to finally confirm the theory that you
can talk to the dead.

Old May 9th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Reply to group;

"Radiola" wrote in message
ups.com...

Go here; www.millitech.com ...............GC

Old May 9th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On May 9, 6:43 am, Radiola wrote:

Chances are you will be able to finally confirm the theory that you
can talk to the dead.

Reminds me of the film "White Noise"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375210/

Old May 9th 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
RHF RHF is offline

On May 9, 6:43 am, Radiola wrote:
On May 7, 12:38 pm, Radium wrote:

Hi:

If my location is in southern California, what would I hear on a
"DXed" 300 GHz AM Radio Receiver? Would there be a specific difference
between what I would hear at night and what I would hear during the
day?

On medium-wave station, I notice the interference -- in the form of
tones -- to be louder at night than the day. Does this difference also
apply to extreme shortwave frequencies as high as 300 GHz?

NOTE: I am aware than 300 GHz is most likely FM, not AM. However, am
still curious as to what I would hear on a 300 GHz AM receiver.

Thanks,

Radium

Chances are you will be able to finally confirm the theory that you
can talk to the dead.- Hide quoted text -

Most likely hearing the Dead from a Transmission that
'originated' : One, Ten or a Hundred Million Years Ago.

long ago and far away ~ RHF
Old May 23rd 07, 09:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Radium wrote:

Hi:

Radium is trolling over here too, I see.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida