Old May 7th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default What would I hear on a 300 GHz AM Radio Receiver?

Hi:

If my location is in southern California, what would I hear on a
"DXed" 300 GHz AM Radio Receiver? Would there be a specific difference
between what I would hear at night and what I would hear during the
day?

On medium-wave station, I notice the interference -- in the form of
tones -- to be louder at night than the day. Does this difference also
apply to extreme shortwave frequencies as high as 300 GHz?

NOTE: I am aware than 300 GHz is most likely FM, not AM. However, am
still curious as to what I would hear on a 300 GHz AM receiver.

Thanks,

Radium

Old May 7th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Night and day no difference at 300 ghz. There is no such thing as "DXED" on
300 ghz LOL!

You probably wont hear a thing unless your inside a big city. And then only
on FM or spread spectrum that = NOTHING!

Its a waste of money and time trying really

oups.com...

Old May 7th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On May 7, 11:02 am, "ralph" wrote:

Night and day no difference at 300 ghz.

Okay.

There is no such thing as "DXED" on
300 ghz LOL!

Why doesn't DX work at 300 GHz?

You probably wont hear a thing unless your inside a big city. And then only
on FM or spread spectrum that = NOTHING!

But on AM, won't magnetic interference cause tones on the receiver of
any frequency provided that the disruption is occurring at the
frequency?

If there is a solar storm causing the emission of electromagnetic
radiation at 300 GHz wouldn't the 300 GHz receiver pick up the signals
caused by the solar storms?

Old May 7th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On May 7, 12:20 pm, Radium wrote:
On May 7, 11:02 am, "ralph" wrote:

Why doesn't DX work at 300 GHz?

Well, there could be, but at that freq, it would have to be line of
sight.. Like light rays... So DX isn't gonna happen too often, unless
one is on the space shuttle, or you each have gazillion foot towers,
with dishes or whatever aimed exactly at each other..
BTW, a QSO with the shuttle might qualify as DX, due to the
high frequency involved, but the actual distance still won't be too
awful far.. IE: 150-300 nm or so, depending on the orbit..

You probably wont hear a thing unless your inside a big city. And then only
on FM or spread spectrum that = NOTHING!

But on AM, won't magnetic interference cause tones on the receiver of
any frequency provided that the disruption is occurring at the
frequency?

The "tones" you hear at night on MW are heterodynes. IE: the carriers
of various stations clashing with each other. This is due to the
increased
sky wave signals at night. In the day, you have little sky wave, and
most stations you hear are ground wave. Being most are on separate
frequencies, you don't hear many het's...
Het's are a common noise on the CB bands... AM anyway...
Listen to ch 19...Heterodyne city...
You would hear the same thing at 300ghz if two stations were
on the same frequency at the same time. Frequency has nothing to
do with that.

If there is a solar storm causing the emission of electromagnetic
radiation at 300 GHz wouldn't the 300 GHz receiver pick up the signals
caused by the solar storms?

I imagine so, if the antenna, dish, whatever were pointed at the sun.
At that frequency, most anything you hear will be direct line of sight
space wave. So don't expect to hear too much around there, unless
you have services using that freq in your close area. I don't even
know
who uses 300 ghz to tell you the truth.. That's a pretty high
frequency.
MK

Old May 7th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

300Ghz is a 1 mm wave. It is pure line of sight. OTOH, it would
probably be pretty quiet, both because the S/N ratio would be high
(line of sight only transmission), and few devices are capable of
generating energy accidentally or deliberately at that wavelength.

Old May 7th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On May 7, 1:03 pm, wrote:

The "tones" you hear at night on MW are heterodynes. IE: the carriers
of various stations clashing with each other. This is due to the
increased
sky wave signals at night. In the day, you have little sky wave, and
most stations you hear are ground wave. Being most are on separate
frequencies, you don't hear many het's...
Het's are a common noise on the CB bands... AM anyway...
Listen to ch 19...Heterodyne city...
You would hear the same thing at 300ghz if two stations were
on the same frequency at the same time. Frequency has nothing to
do with that.

What is the best frequency if I want to listen to distant heterodynes
from outer space?

AFAIK, if the frequency is too high, then you only get line of sight.
Too low, and you can't get signals from space, because the ionosphere
keeps out long-wave signals. Low-frequency signals on earth that reach
the upper atmosphere are bounced back down to the lower atmospheres
because the ionosphere reflects them.

Old May 8th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"matt weber" wrote in message
300Ghz is a 1 mm wave. It is pure line of sight. OTOH, it would
probably be pretty quiet, both because the S/N ratio would be high
(line of sight only transmission), and few devices are capable of
generating energy accidentally or deliberately at that wavelength.

Not quite true
http://www.orau.org/academic/collabo...ons/4attia.pdf

Old May 8th 07, 09:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On May 7, 10:38 am, Radium wrote:
Hi:

If my location is in southern California, what would I hear on a
"DXed" 300 GHz AM Radio Receiver? Would there be a specific difference
between what I would hear at night and what I would hear during the
day?

On medium-wave station, I notice the interference -- in the form of
tones -- to be louder at night than the day. Does this difference also
apply to extreme shortwave frequencies as high as 300 GHz?

NOTE: I am aware than 300 GHz is most likely FM, not AM. However, am
still curious as to what I would hear on a 300 GHz AM receiver.

Thanks,

Radium

I have an old Microtel "receiver" with a 100GHz limit on the dial.

Old May 8th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

pointing a big dish to the sun you might catch the continuum
emission (increased noise) of a solar flare. This has been
observed very rarely so far. Mind that millimeter waves and
especially 300 GHz are strongly absorbed by water vapour in
the earth atmosphere.

Old May 9th 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On May 7, 1:38 pm, Radium wrote:
Hi:

If my location is in southern California, what would I hear on a
"DXed" 300 GHz AM Radio Receiver? Would there be a specific difference
between what I would hear at night and what I would hear during the
day?

On medium-wave station, I notice the interference -- in the form of
tones -- to be louder at night than the day. Does this difference also
apply to extreme shortwave frequencies as high as 300 GHz?

NOTE: I am aware than 300 GHz is most likely FM, not AM. However, am
still curious as to what I would hear on a 300 GHz AM receiver.

Thanks,

Radium

Which 300GHZ AM receiver did you have in mind?