Old June 1st 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default I Used The Wrong DC Cable, And My Radio Started Smoking

Yes, I accidentally used the wrong voltage DC inlet, and my Sangean
ATS 818 started smoking a bit from the plug. I quickly removed it.
It does not work anymore. I have opened it up, and cannot find any
circuits that could have burned. The LCD screen still displays the
time. I am not sure how to proceed, and I was wondering if anyone had
any thoughts about fixing it or having it fixed somehow. Thank you.
-Jimmy

Old June 1st 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Did you ever hook a car battery up wrong? I haven't.I never fried a
radio either.
cuhulin

Old June 1st 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Sangean radios are real good at smokin.Next time,,, Buy a Radio.
cuhulin

Old June 1st 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, I accidentally used the wrong voltage DC inlet, and my Sangean
ATS 818 started smoking a bit from the plug. I quickly removed it.
It does not work anymore. I have opened it up, and cannot find any
circuits that could have burned. The LCD screen still displays the
time. I am not sure how to proceed, and I was wondering if anyone had
any thoughts about fixing it or having it fixed somehow. Thank you.
-Jimmy

The radio should have a reverse-polarity protection diode at the DC input.
If it's done it's job, it will now be shorted out, and will need to be
replaced. Depending on where it is in the circuit, it could also prevent the
radio working on batteries until it's been replaced.

Old June 1st 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, I accidentally used the wrong voltage DC inlet, and my Sangean
ATS 818 started smoking a bit from the plug. I quickly removed it.
It does not work anymore. I have opened it up, and cannot find any
circuits that could have burned. The LCD screen still displays the
time. I am not sure how to proceed, and I was wondering if anyone had
any thoughts about fixing it or having it fixed somehow. Thank you.
-Jimmy

"Life comes at you fast." Now you have an expensive clock.