Old June 1st 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Sony 7600GR External Antenna Jack, Needs to be settled, Can it be shorted out to the point that it destroys the radio.

On Jun 1, 1:45 am, "Adam" wrote:
If you use a random wire in the Sony 7600GR radio and accidently short it,
can it destory the radio and/or cause damage or is it protected?

What exactly are you describing here. Are you saying that you sent
power through the antenna back to the receiver? Maybe by walking
across a carpet and touching the antenna. If you did that then yes
you very well might have fried the radio.

Or are you saying that you touched the antenna end to some ground.

Your description is too vague.

In the manual it says it has DC power but on at least two websites, it
supposely only has a "sense power" to turn antennas off and on.

I called sony customer support and they claim the jack doesn't have any DC
power in it, that it is only reception.

That would seem to make sense to me.

This was said by two different
agents, but when I emailed them, they keep talking about the headphone jack
for some reason.

Will someone please settle this for me, it's like some are saying it can
short and at the same time, some are saying it can't at all. I just want to
have this darn thing settled.

Thanks in advanced.