Old June 5th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Thunder & lightning

On Jun 4, 3:46 am, ish wrote:
Was wondering if it is safe to listen to Shortwave radio without
terribly long external antenna during such time. I actually like the
crackle pops along with the fading audio. Would I damage the radio by
doing this? Radio is Sony 2010 with about 10 ft. long antenna slung
near the window.

TIA

It's impossible to know beforehand whether you would damage the radio
because there are so many variables. Just be safe and turn the radio
off, disconnect the external antennna and collapse the whip.

Old June 5th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Lightning is tough stuff! I have seen before where it hit the ground and
ploughed a furrow like y'all wouldn't believe.Get a flouarescent light
bulb (the old style kind, new ones are still available in the stores)
and sit it on something outside.Next time it's stormy weather, look out
your window and see if it lights up once in a while.You can see it
better at night time. www.lightningstorm.com
cuhulin

Old June 5th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 5, 12:30 pm, wrote:
Lightning is tough stuff! I have seen before where it hit the ground and
ploughed a furrow like y'all wouldn't believe.Get a flouarescent light
bulb (the old style kind, new ones are still available in the stores)
and sit it on something outside.Next time it's stormy weather, look out
your window and see if it lights up once in a while.You can see it
better at night time. www.lightningstorm.com
cuhulin

Agree...it is really dangerous and an indirect hit can do a lot of
damage.

Listening to the Radio {Safely} During a Thunder & Lightning Storm RHF Shortwave 22 June 9th 07 10:57 PM
Thunder & lightning [email protected] Shortwave 1 June 5th 07 07:19 AM
Thunder & lightning D Peter Maus Shortwave 2 June 4th 07 10:51 PM
Sirio Thunder 27 OchoNueve CB 0 November 26th 06 08:01 PM
(OT) Thunder N8KDV Shortwave 12 May 18th 04 03:32 AM