Old June 24th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.ponds,rec.radio.amateur.policy,alt.autos.mini,rec.radio.shortwave

Default Hammies Want Us Off 10 Meters

Mork is a KB 0 wrote in :

wrote in message
oups.com...
The hammies want us to leave their prescous 10 meter band and some guy
with the ham handle arnewsline qrz.com is tryin to organize them to
fight us. Go read this.
Unca Glenn

Fighting the 10 meter freeband invasion

If you are wondering what all those conversations without call signs
are on 28.085 MHz, well it appears to be a small invasion of
unlicensed truckers and so called Freeband operators of our 10 meter
band. We have more in this report:

Originally confined to portions of the mid-West, the pirate trucker
and Freeband epidemic appears to be spreading nationwide. This, as
more and more of these illegal operators are making their unauthorized
home on 28.085 Megahertz and several other 10 meter frequencies.

And what is the Amateur Radio community doing about this invasion? On
the surface at least, very little. With the upper High frequency bands
not offering very much D-X these days, the majority of hams are
sticking to 20, 40 and 80 meters with few stations heard in the 15, 12
and 10 meter spectrum. So the truckers and Freebanders see this is
fair game for their unlawful operations and are busy establishing
squatters rights in these bands.

What about the FCC? Well its doing what it can. There have been
several well publicized violation notices sent to trucking firms. They
request owners to instruct their drivers to curtail any operations for
which they are not licensed and threatening punitive action such as
fines. But that’s about it. With the FCC enforcement folks stretched
thin and Freeband operations being among the lowest of priorities on
the enforcement agenda, there is no reason to believe that there is
going to be any sort of massive sweep by the Federal government to
clear these pirate operators out of the ham radio bands.

In the end, it will be the ham radio community that will have to
defend these frequencies. And it does that by using them. If hams load
up 10 meters or any band with legitimate Amateur Radio operations,
there will be no place for the illegals to play and they will go
elsewhere.

In the case of 28.085, there have been suggestions that this frequency
become a national CW or RTTY Calling Channel. That’s a pretty good
approach. Another is for every ham with the capability of operating 10
meters to start holding QSO's on that frequency. As any Morse
enthusiast will tell you, CW can get through even when faced with all
sorts of QRM including pirate operators using voice.

The bottom line. if licensed radio amateurs fill up 10 meters even for
local chats, the truckers and Frreebanders will soon be looking
elsewhere for a new home.

Evi Simons
Amateur Radio Newsline

About two decades ago, then 73 Magazine editor Wayne Green, W2NSD,
coined the phrase "Use it or loose it." Back then, it was applied to
the pending transfer of 220 to 222 MHz away from Amateur Radio. Today
the same words ring important in fighting those without licenses who
are trying to take 10 meters forcibly from hams.

Source: ARNewslineâ„¢, QRZ.com, listener input

INDEED!!!!!!!!1

We need the FCC to make the CW/SSB split voluntary on this band, so we can
tell the truckers where to go! As long as they are using phone in our CW
subband most of us won't be able to legally warn them off. I don't even
have a Morse key with a jack plug on it that fits any of my rigs.

N3KIP