Old July 5th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default LYQ NDB beacon testing tonight

The LYQ NDB beacon 529 KHZ is testing with 10 watts. The final TX
power will be 50 watts. We are making adjustments on it off and on
plus Flight testing it.

Until it's fully commissioned will be on and off the air.

We plan on QSLing the Beacon when we get it up to snuff.

The LYQ Beacon is using a 120 foot high tower 'shunt feed' this tower
suspends one leg of a Rhombic antenna.

The WWRB transmitter facility has Two Runways in operation and is
designated as an Airport by the FAA for Company aircraft
operations. Airport FAA Id is : 43TN ROSEANNE airport.

VORTAC located on field the Freq is 108.650

We will leave the Beacon on tonight (July 4) so you can see if you
hear it. Please post your reception reports right here

Thanks

Old July 5th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

It would help if you gave your location which after googling around I assume
it is 8 miles N of MORRISON, TN
Roseanne Airport at URL:
http://www.airnav.com/airport/43TN

Lamont

ups.com...

Old July 5th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 4, 5:28 pm, wrote:
The LYQ NDB beacon 529 KHZ is testing with 10 watts. The final TX
power will be 50 watts. We are making adjustments on it off and on
plus Flight testing it.

Until it's fully commissioned will be on and off the air.

We plan on QSLing the Beacon when we get it up to snuff.

The LYQ Beacon is using a 120 foot high tower 'shunt feed' this tower
suspends one leg of a Rhombic antenna.

The WWRB transmitter facility has Two Runways in operation and is
designated as an Airport by the FAA for Company aircraft
operations. Airport FAA Id is : 43TN ROSEANNE airport.

VORTAC located on field the Freq is 108.650

We will leave the Beacon on tonight (July 4) so you can see if you
hear it. Please post your reception reports right here

Thanks

I didn't know the beacon band went that high. In any event, isn't
529Khz too close to the 530TIS?

Old July 5th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 4, 5:28 pm, wrote:
The LYQ NDB beacon 529 KHZ is testing with 10 watts. The final TX
power will be 50 watts. We are making adjustments on it off and on
plus Flight testing it.

Until it's fully commissioned will be on and off the air.

We plan on QSLing the Beacon when we get it up to snuff.

The LYQ Beacon is using a 120 foot high tower 'shunt feed' this tower
suspends one leg of a Rhombic antenna.

The WWRB transmitter facility has Two Runways in operation and is
designated as an Airport by the FAA for Company aircraft
operations. Airport FAA Id is : 43TN ROSEANNE airport.

VORTAC located on field the Freq is 108.650

We will leave the Beacon on tonight (July 4) so you can see if you
hear it. Please post your reception reports right here

Thanks

I didn't know the beacon band went that high. In any event, isn't
529Khz too close to the 530TIS?

From URL:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-dir...ng_equ ipment

A Non-Directional Beacon (NDB) is a radio broadcast station in a known
location, used as an aviation or marine navigational aid. NDB usage for
aviation is standardized by ICAO Annex 10 which specifies that NDBs be
operated on a frequency between 190 kHz and 1750 kHz[1] although normally
all NDBs in North America operate between 190 kHz and 535 kHz[1].

Example: http://www.airnav.com/navaids/
ADK MOUNT MOFFETT NDB/DME
ADAK ISLAND, AK
Location
Lat/Long: 51-52-18.830N / 176-40-33.630W (51.8718972/-176.6760083)
Elevation: 332 ft.
Variation: 07E (2000)
Operational Characteristics
Type: NDB/DME
Class: HW/DME
Frequency: 530 kHzLamont

Old July 5th 07, 08:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 4, 8:30 pm, "The Shadow" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

From URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-dir...omatic_Directi...

A Non-Directional Beacon (NDB) is a radio broadcast station in a known
location, used as an aviation or marine navigational aid. NDB usage for
aviation is standardized by ICAO Annex 10 which specifies that NDBs be
operated on a frequency between 190 kHz and 1750 kHz[1] although normally
all NDBs in North America operate between 190 kHz and 535 kHz[1].

Example: http://www.airnav.com/navaids/
ADK MOUNT MOFFETT NDB/DME
ADAK ISLAND, AK
Location
Lat/Long: 51-52-18.830N / 176-40-33.630W (51.8718972/-176.6760083)
Elevation: 332 ft.
Variation: 07E (2000)
Operational Characteristics
Type: NDB/DME
Class: HW/DME
Frequency: 530 kHzLamont

My point is 530 is quite polluted with TIS.

Old July 5th 07, 08:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jul 5, 12:07 am, wrote:
On Jul 4, 8:30 pm, "The Shadow" wrote:

wrote in message

roups.com...

From URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-dir...omatic_Directi...

A Non-Directional Beacon (NDB) is a radio broadcast station in a known
location, used as an aviation or marine navigational aid. NDB usage for
aviation is standardized by ICAO Annex 10 which specifies that NDBs be
operated on a frequency between 190 kHz and 1750 kHz[1] although normally
all NDBs in North America operate between 190 kHz and 535 kHz[1].

Example: http://www.airnav.com/navaids/
ADK MOUNT MOFFETT NDB/DME
ADAK ISLAND, AK
Location
Lat/Long: 51-52-18.830N / 176-40-33.630W (51.8718972/-176.6760083)
Elevation: 332 ft.
Variation: 07E (2000)
Operational Characteristics
Type: NDB/DME
Class: HW/DME
Frequency: 530 kHzLamont

- My point is 530 is quite polluted with TIS.

M...Sushi,

A very good and valid point : TIS Radio Stations
on 530 kHz does dominant that Frequency in
many US locations.

This would place any distant NDB signal on
that Frequency 'underneath' the local TIS.

But 'if' the object of this NDB is to serve the
Local Airport as a Navigational Aid and there
are no TIS Stations in that area it sould do
OK for this intended purpose.

However, 'if' it was being designed as a NDB
for DXers to receive and report on : Then it is
most likely to be a flop with all the Nation
Wide TIS Radio Station Transmitters on the
same 530 kHz Frequency.

But with 50 Watts and a Shut-Fed 120 Foot Tower
it should give a lot of TIS Stations a competitive
signal : Just Listen for : .-.. -.-- --.- [ L Y Q ]
Who knows you may hear Roseanne Airport in
far off Tennessee 'ID'ing itself one early morning.

they're out there - all you have to do is listen ~ RHF
Old July 5th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 4, 8:30 pm, "The Shadow" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jul 4, 5:28 pm, wrote:
The LYQ NDB beacon 529 KHZ is testing with 10 watts. The final TX
power will be 50 watts. We are making adjustments on it off and on
plus Flight testing it.

Until it's fully commissioned will be on and off the air.

We plan on QSLing the Beacon when we get it up to snuff.

The LYQ Beacon is using a 120 foot high tower 'shunt feed' this tower
suspends one leg of a Rhombic antenna.

The WWRB transmitter facility has Two Runways in operation and is
designated as an Airport by the FAA for Company aircraft
operations. Airport FAA Id is : 43TN ROSEANNE airport.

VORTAC located on field the Freq is 108.650

We will leave the Beacon on tonight (July 4) so you can see if you
hear it. Please post your reception reports right here

Thanks

I didn't know the beacon band went that high. In any event, isn't
529Khz too close to the 530TIS?

From
URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-dir...omatic_Directi...

A Non-Directional Beacon (NDB) is a radio broadcast station in a known
location, used as an aviation or marine navigational aid. NDB usage for
aviation is standardized by ICAO Annex 10 which specifies that NDBs be
operated on a frequency between 190 kHz and 1750 kHz[1] although normally
all NDBs in North America operate between 190 kHz and 535 kHz[1].

Example: http://www.airnav.com/navaids/
ADK MOUNT MOFFETT NDB/DME
ADAK ISLAND, AK
Location
Lat/Long: 51-52-18.830N / 176-40-33.630W (51.8718972/-176.6760083)
Elevation: 332 ft.
Variation: 07E (2000)
Operational Characteristics
Type: NDB/DME
Class: HW/DME
Frequency: 530 kHzLamont

My point is 530 is quite polluted with TIS.

Perhaps
If you want Traveler's Information Stations (TIS) lookups see URL:
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/tis.html

I would think the LYQ engineers would have checked for activity on 529 kHz

Lamont

Old July 5th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 5, 8:29 am, "The Shadow" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jul 4, 8:30 pm, "The Shadow" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

On Jul 4, 5:28 pm, wrote:
[...]

I would have thought the Nevada Highway Patrol would have licensed
their VHF trunk system, but they didn't. I would have thought NASA and
their contractors would have agreed on which units (English or metric)
to use, but they didn't. I can go on if you want.

Old July 6th 07, 05:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 5, 4:47 pm, RHF wrote:
On Jul 5, 11:32 am, wrote:

On Jul 5, 8:29 am, "The Shadow" wrote:

wrote in message

roups.com...

On Jul 4, 8:30 pm, "The Shadow" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

On Jul 4, 5:28 pm, wrote:
[...]

to use, but they didn't. I can go on if you want.- Hide quoted text -

Good Examples of some real Oopsizes ~ RHF

Oh, I have managed to make a few "that won't work" pronouncements to
see them ignored, and of course the circuit didn't work.

That NHP fiasco cost Nevada about 14 million in fines. I don't recall
the exact amount. The idiot in charge got to resign. However, the $14
million fine doesn't reflect the real cost. They lost their VHF
frequencies (remember, no license) and had to replace the system with
800 Mhz. It will take about 8x the number of sites. Since there are
only two vendors in trunk radio, they had to pick EDACS since the
screwed up system was done by Moto. What a mess.

We are testing our new NDB beacon: reports requested [email protected] Shortwave 0 July 5th 07 01:00 AM
Is that a beacon? N9NEO Shortwave 7 February 11th 06 03:20 AM
non-ham QRP DX beacon. Part 15 QRP Shortwave 11 May 12th 05 02:17 PM
Where Is This Beacon? [email protected] Dx 10 February 19th 04 12:37 AM
TRY beacon on 261 kHz? Cliff at the Shack Shortwave 3 January 17th 04 04:38 AM