Old August 15th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default BPL strikes another win!

http://www.redherring.com/Home/22562

JS
Old August 16th 07, 12:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"John Smith I" wrote in message
http://www.redherring.com/Home/22562

*makes mental note to tell friends to dump DirecTV*

Old August 16th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brenda Ann wrote:

*makes mental note to tell friends to dump DirecTV*

I draw an analogy--a mental picture ...

In a country far-far away (holland) a small boy reaches out his hand and
sticks a finger in a dike ...

Regards,
JS
Old August 16th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 15, 6:56 pm, John Smith I wrote:
http://www.redherring.com/Home/22562

JS

Didn't the Europeans decide against BPL because it interferes with
emergency services' two-way radios? The USA never learns, does it?

Stephanie Weil
New York City, USA

Old August 16th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Stephanie Weil wrote:

Didn't the Europeans decide against BPL because it interferes with
emergency services' two-way radios? The USA never learns, does it?

Stephanie Weil
New York City, USA

I really don't know, aren't we already digital voice on emergency
service? If not, we should be. However, all we need to do is do it,
problem solved.

Regards,
JS

Old August 16th 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 16, 3:46 pm, John Smith I wrote:

I really don't know, aren't we already digital voice on emergency
service? If not, we should be. However, all we need to do is do it,
problem solved.

Considering how delicate a digital signal is -- and how little the
room for error is (either you have perfect reception or you have
nothing), do you think that's a good idea for emergency comms?

At least with analog, you may get some static, but you can still pick
up what the person is saying on the other end.

Stephanie Weil
New York City, USA

Old August 16th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Stephanie Weil wrote:

At least with analog, you may get some static, but you can still pick
up what the person is saying on the other end.

Stephanie Weil
New York City, USA

Delicate? Are we even looking at the same elephant? With digital there
is NO errors, errors are simply discarded. If one freq is not suitable
for xmission of the packet(s), another is computer selected and
attempted. Spread spectrum makes digital rock solid, no noise, no
errors ... these systems operating in GHz processing speed range makes
the whole thing transparent ... and all that before I even mention data
compaction ...

Regards,
JS
Old August 17th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article . com,
Stephanie Weil wrote:

On Aug 16, 3:46 pm, John Smith I wrote:

I really don't know, aren't we already digital voice on emergency
service? If not, we should be. However, all we need to do is do it,
problem solved.

Considering how delicate a digital signal is -- and how little the
room for error is (either you have perfect reception or you have
nothing), do you think that's a good idea for emergency comms?

At least with analog, you may get some static, but you can still pick
up what the person is saying on the other end.

The implementation of HD or DRM on short wave may leave you with the
impression that digital is more "delicate" than analog but it is really
about the same as far as robustness is concerned.

Digital or analog can be more robust by using more bandwidth for example.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old August 17th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brenda Ann wrote:

*makes mental note to tell friends to dump DirecTV*

Brenda,

Glad you are on the side of the hams and SWLs...but before you are too
harsh with DirecTV, please note the following that was posted on the
ARRL web site:

quoted from www.arrl.org on 16 Aug 07:

ARRL CEO David Sumner, K1ZZ, said "There is no reason to panic [over
this decision]. ARRL's only concern about BPL is the interference
potential. In that regard, the approach that Current has taken to
date -- limiting its use of the medium-voltage lines to 30-50 MHz and
using the HomePlug standard to avoid the HF ham bands on the
low-voltage drop -- has been satisfactory. If the FCC mandated what
Current has been doing, we would be quite happy."

Sumner continued: "We can be glad that DirecTV chose to align itself
with a BPL company that has taken the interference problem seriously
and has a good track record of avoiding interference in the amateur
bands."

ARRL Laboratory Manager Ed Hare, W1RFI, commented, "ARRL and Current
have communicated regularly over the past few years. Current has been
an early leader in carefully choosing its design to avoid
interference to Amateur Radio. They don't operate below 30 MHz on
overhead lines at all, and use HomePlug technology, which doesn't use
the ham bands, in customers' premises. To date, ARRL has no Amateur
Radio interference reports involving Current or HomePlug equipment."

Old August 17th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I been emalin that divorced womnan from Miami (in Petal,Missisippi) for
nigh on a year or more.(actually about four years, or more) I know that
WebTV thingy address is still good, bucause I haven't got a dead letter
bounce back.I wonder what''s up with her thirty four year auld arse? She
used to email me all the time.
cuhulin

BPL strikes another win ... John Smith I Antenna 101 August 23rd 07 02:45 PM
Elmer strikes again Ken G. Radio Photos 9 July 24th 07 04:28 AM
Marty Strikes Again - R4c for $1275.00 Watching Marty Shortwave 1 December 26th 05 10:03 PM
Roger strikes again Lloyd II General 0 December 17th 05 05:55 AM
The Uncle strikes again! Scott in Baltimore CB 17 September 17th 05 04:26 PM