Old August 20th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Opinions about the new CC Radio-SW?

Hi. I'm about to pull the trigger on the new CC Radio-SW. What
really intrigues me about this unit is that it has a built-in C Crane
twin coill am ferrite antenna. This antenna gets great reviews and
since it's built into the unit, I am thinking the radio will get
unsurpassed am reception. Does anyone have any opinions of this radio?

Old August 20th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 20, 10:46 am, dead of night wrote:
Hi. I'm about to pull the trigger on the new CC Radio-SW. What
really intrigues me about this unit is that it has a built-in C Crane
twin coill am ferrite antenna.

I guess the question I would have is whether this is really nothing
more than a rebadged Redsun 2100.

This antenna gets great reviews and
since it's built into the unit, I am thinking the radio will get
unsurpassed am reception.

Unsurpassed AM reception would be a very high hurdle to overcome. If
you are truly expecting it to be better than any other radio on AM
then I think you will be disappointed.

Is the internal antenna of the CC-SW really the same as the external
unit sold for $99.00 by Crane? Or is it just a bit of marketing
sizzle applied to a ferrite rod antenna.

Finally, I don't think the radio receives SSB. Seems like a big
omission on a $150.00 shortwave radio.

Does anyone have any opinions of this radio?

Old August 20th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Roadie wrote:
On Aug 20, 10:46 am, dead of night wrote:
Hi. I'm about to pull the trigger on the new CC Radio-SW. What
really intrigues me about this unit is that it has a built-in C Crane
twin coill am ferrite antenna.

I guess the question I would have is whether this is really nothing
more than a rebadged Redsun 2100.

This antenna gets great reviews and
since it's built into the unit, I am thinking the radio will get
unsurpassed am reception.

Unsurpassed AM reception would be a very high hurdle to overcome. If
you are truly expecting it to be better than any other radio on AM
then I think you will be disappointed.

Is the internal antenna of the CC-SW really the same as the external
unit sold for $99.00 by Crane? Or is it just a bit of marketing
sizzle applied to a ferrite rod antenna.

Hi, thanks for the reply. On the front of the C C SW radio it says,
"twin coil ferrite antenna." I would think it's safe to assume that
it's the same one sold for $99 at Ccrane site.

Old August 20th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 20, 1:05 pm, dead of night wrote:
Roadie wrote:
[...]

Does anyone have any opinions of this radio?- Hide quoted text -

That seems like a lot to stuff into that case, but possible. Wait a
minute - the all important preselector/tuner controls on the $99 twin
ferrite antenna don't seem to be on the CC-SW radio. Something was
forgotten or we are being dazzled with advertising footwork.

Doesn't a ferrite loop antenna designed for MW and LW reception use
two separate loops of wire? It's been a while, but that little detail
sticks in my kind from disassembling a Blaupunkt MW/LW receiver. If
so is that all the twin loop is?

Has anyone seen the insides of a CC Crane SW radio to tell us what the
twin coil antenna is and is not? Their website is gloriously vague
about either product.

Old August 20th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Aug 20, 10:05 am, dead of night wrote:
Roadie wrote:
[...]

DoN,

Twin Coils on a Ferrite Rod does not make it a "Tune-Able"
and Amplified AM/MW Antenna like the C.Crane {Justice}
AM/MW Twin Coil Antenna.
http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/am-an...m-antenna.aspx

Old August 20th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Stephan Grossklass wrote:
dead of night schrieb:

Hi. I'm about to pull the trigger on the new CC Radio-SW. What
really intrigues me about this unit is that it has a built-in C Crane
twin coill am ferrite antenna. This antenna gets great reviews and
since it's built into the unit, I am thinking the radio will get
unsurpassed am reception. Does anyone have any opinions of this radio?

A healthy portion of skepticism seems appropriate in this case. C.Crane
themselves have stated that the number of differences between a stock
RP2100 and the CCRadio-SW would be not be too high at 20-something (keep
in mind that at minimum another mains xformer is necessary). The stock
RP2000/2100 does not have much to do with the Twin Coil, save for having
two coils on the ferrite core (one is for MW antenna input coupling
only) and antenna tuning. Comparing the sensitivity specs, the
CCRadio-SW's seems to be the same save for a more conservative rating
(MW: 0.2 mV/m vs. 0.15 mV/m for TRA-2350P/RP2000).

BTW: In case of FM sensitivity, the typical Chinese confusion of and
seems to have survived, it's given as " 5 uv" (I guess whoever started
doing this wasn't into equations much).

Stephan

Thanks for the replies, everyone. One point I'd like to address is
whether or not the actual C Crane Twin Coil Ferrite Antenna is now
included in the rebadged C Crane SW unit. Here is what it says about
this radio at the C Crane website: "Thanks to the built-in Twin Coil
Ferrite™ AM Antenna, this masterful radio has AM reception in the same
class as the legendary CCRadio plus."
I can't help but conclude that the actual, complete antenna is inside
the unit. I asked the tech at C Crane how it's possible to both fine
tune and coarse tune, and he said, "the radio takes care of that."

Old August 21st 07, 09:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Aug 20, 12:44 pm, dead of night wrote:
Stephan Grossklass wrote:
dead of night schrieb:

[...]

tune and coarse tune, and he said, "the radio takes care of that."- Hide quoted text -

DoN,

C. Crane Co. is legendary for its Advertising Hyperbole ~ RHF

"has AM reception in the same class as the legendary CCRadio plus."
.
Is an 'example' of Advertising Hyperbole that has
been repeated long enough and loud enough
that the Radio Listening public believes it is true.
.
.
.. .

Old August 21st 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 20, 3:44 pm, dead of night wrote:
Stephan Grossklass wrote:
dead of night schrieb:

[...]

If the CC-SW includes the $99 tunable twin coil then I think they
forgot to include the necessary antenna tuning controls. I don't see
them. Absent any proof that the entire Twin Coil Antenna antenna and
controls are in the CC-SW I think we have to assume the radio includes
a ferrite rod antenna that is wrapped with two coils, as any other MW/
LW recceiver would have.

Old August 21st 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I asked a tech at C Crane about the controls for the Twin Coil antenna
and he said, "the radio takes care of that." Remember: if the C Crane
radio does not contain the Twin Coil antenna, someone will have taken
if apart and alerted the public about this fraud. I don't think c
Crane would take that chance, do you?

Old August 21st 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

One other note: On the front of the CCradio SW it is written: "Twin
Coil Ferrite AN antenna" Do you really think C Crane, with its fine
reptation, would perpetrate a fraud like this?