Old August 25th 07, 11:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Ready-Made Dipole Antenna Options and a few others too . . .

Nomen Nescio,
.
Ready-Made Dipole Antenna Options and a few others too . . .
.
Placing a Dipole Antenna next to or on the ground has problems.
Actually placing any Antenna Wire next to or on the ground has
problems -if- the Wire is Bare Copper {Metal} and Uninsulated.
.
1 - These four Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas are Dipoles :
.
-BUT- They have Bare Copper Wire Antenna Elements.
.
* Alpha Delta DX-ULTRA Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3377.html
-obtw- it is 80 Feet long
.
* Eavesdropper-C Trapped Dipole SWL Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0680.html
-obtw- it is 43 Feet long
.
* B&W ASW-60 Multi-Band Trap SWL Antenna
http://www.bwantennas.com/ama/specials.ama.htm#asw60
-obtw- it is 35 Feet long
.
* Grove "Skywire" Dipole SWL Antenna
http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT2.html
-obtw- it is 66 Feet long
.
2 - Here are three smaller Shortwave Listener (SWL)
Antennas that use Insulated Wire Antenna Elements :
.
* RF Systems EMF Electro-Magnetic Field Passive Wire Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0743.html
-obtw- it is 16 Feet long and 16 Feet of Coax feed-in-line
.
* RF Systems Mini-Windom
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3575.html
-obtw- it is 16 Feet long and 16 Feet of Coax feed-in-line
.
* Par Electronics EF-SWL End-Fed Shortwave Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html
-obtw- it is 45 Feet long
Set-Up the EF-SWL as an Off-Center "T" Wire Antenna
with the Short-Arm 17 Feet and the Long-Arm 28 Feet.
http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT8.html
.
3 - Here are three Out-Side Active Antennas to put on
top of a 21 Foot Long piece of Top-Rail and mount it
Vertically along side the House. Place a Ground Rod
at the Base of the Top-Rail and Ground the Top-Rail.
.
* MFJ-1024 Outdoor Active Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1132.html
.
* McKay Dymek DA-100E Active Shortwave Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0328.html
.
* LF Engineering H-800 Skymatch Active Antenna
http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT15.html
.
5 - Now there is a Dipole Antenna that comes with Coax
Cable and uses Insulated Wire for the Antenna Elements.
It is the Workman HF / 40 Meter Antenna [WORKBS1HAM]
http://www.k1cra.com/catalog/product...productID=1334
2 x 33' (66') 12 gauge Stranded Copper Wire w/Black Plastic Jacket
12' of RG-58AU Coax with PL-259 Connectors
1 Center Insulator / Strain Relief with SO-239 Connector
Trim one Arm to 19.7 Feet and the other Arm to 31.8 Feet
http://www.k1cra.com/images/products/original/626.jpg
- - - BUT IT IS OUT OF STOCK - - -
.
Also on eBay there is the Workman BS-1 HAM Dipole
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ160150713260
Antenna is only 16.5 Feet per side = 33 Feet Tip-to-Tip
Comes with 12 Feet of RG58/U with PL-259 Plugs
- - - See three Photo-Images for more info.
.
TIP - If you have a Wooden Fence in you Yard
mount the Wire Antenna Element on it about
4-5 Feet above the Ground. Keeps the Wire
Antenna Elements Off-the-Ground and puts
the Wire Antenna Elements away from the
House and the man-made-noise within it.
.
BUILD YOUR OWN DIPOLE ANTENNA :
Build a One-Piece Dipole Antenna for Shortwave
Listening (SWL) from common Speaker Wire.
- Buy 50 Feet of Stranded Speaker Wire.
- Fold it in Half to find the Center-Point of the Wire.
Mark the Center-Point by Wrapping several Wraps
of Black Electrical Tape around the Wires; and put
a Black Plastic Cable Tie around the Tape to hold
the Tape in-place.
- Take one end and Strip the Ends and Tin the Wires
if your Radio has a pair of Terminals for the External
Shortwave Antenna. Or if your Radio only has a
SO-239 Jack for the External Shortwave Antenna
attach a PL-259 Plug to this Wires. This is now
the {Near} Radio-End of the Antenna.
- At the other {Far} Antenna-End of the Antenna
Split the two Speaker Wires apart all the way to
the Black Tape at the Center.
- Tie an Overhand Loop Knot in each of the two
Antenna-Ends for Rigging.
http://members.aol.com/goodheavens/overhand.html
- Coil-up each of the Antenna-Ends and secure the
Coils.
- Secure the Radio-End to a Fixed Object.
- At the Black Tape at the Center begin Twisting
the Pair of Speaker Wires from the Center to
the Radio-End until you have from 4-6 Turns in
the Wire Pair per Foot from the Center to the
Radio-End.
-Note- You have now created a Twisted-Pair
feed-in-line for your Antenna.
-TBL- You now have a 50 Foot Tip-to-Tip Dipole
Antenna with a 25 Foot feed-in-line.
- Run it from the Radio out the Window and
Rig it Outside as you like.
- Rig with Mason Nylon Line
-Windom-Ize-It- Trim 10 Feet off one of the
Dipole's Arms so that you have a Short-Arm
of 15 Feet and a Long-Arm of 25 Feet for a
Tip-to-Tip length of 40 Feet. -OR- Simply
Fold over one of the Arms on itself so that
it is Halfed to 12.5 Feet.
-Variation- Fold the 50 Foot of Speaker Wire
in Thirds and Wrap the Black Electrical Tape
at one of the 1/3 Points. repeat the about
remaining steps. This results in a Dipole
Antenna that is 33 Foot Tip-to-Tip with a
33 Foot feed-in-line.
* * * This is a very low cost Dipole Antenna
for Campling etc.
.
.
hope this helps - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
.
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas Group = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
The SWL Antenna Discussion Group = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna HELP = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna NEWS = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna INFO = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
* * * All Are Welcome : Including ELMERS and 'Want-to-be-Elmers'
plus plain old "Mister-Know-It-Alls"; and even those Newbees with
"I Know This Is A Really Dumb Question - But _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ "
.
The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
SWL BLESSING = http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/9233
.
Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio
d'auditeur d'onde courte pour des Antennes de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennen
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
= = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !
.

/ \
........!.......

= = = On Aug 24, 3:00 pm, Nomen Nescio
= = = wrote:
I used to be a big fan of swling, back when I lived on a farm
and had lots of room and not much local radio noise.
I'd throw up a long-wire antenna and do pretty well with it.

Nowadays I live on a small lot in a city, and have several
computers spewing out noise. I can hear almost nothing
with a wire antenna, and I was thinking that if I could find
a dipole that came ready-made, with a coax lead-in,
I might drop it from the third-floor window and run the
dipole along the foundation of the house.

I know that the low elevation of the antenna isn't a help,
but it would be away from the computers on the second
floor, and away from most of the house wiring, so I figure
it is a good compromise.

The thing is, I have gotten to the point where I do not
want to do any work, and am looking for a ready-made
antenna. I had one years ago, which would be ideal.
The wire was attached to the coax and sealed, so there
was nothing to get loose. If something like that is still
around, it would be perfect.

Thanks for any recommendations.
.
.