Old September 19th 07, 01:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Stations don't care that you can't hear beyoind thier local area

On Sep 18, 12:27 pm, Rfburns wrote:
Stations don't care that you can't hear beyoind thier local area
and

That is true. Radio stations are businesses that depend on
advertising revenue from local sources. I would not expect that a
radio station in Los Angeles would have many advertisers from
Sacramento or Bakersfield. There are more than enough radio stations
to service local areas.

the FCC doesn't care that you can't hear your favorite station
anymore. Try and contact them.

Catching stations from afar is am enjoyable hobby for DXers that
creates no revenue for the radio station. None. There are more than
enough radio stations to service local areas

HD AM is here to stay. 100 yrs of tradition has been given to the
highest bidder and the consumer lost.

Try and find an HD radio. The salesman just looks at you wondering
what you're talking about.

Actually no that is incorrect. Best Buy is running big ads for HD
radios.

The FCC says - "let the market decide".

Yes, market-based allocation of resources is yet another hugely
successful legacy from the Republicans. Just look at what a great job
they did with energy, telephone and airline deregulation. Or what
they did to the tax code in the name of opening up investments.

The market did decide by
little or no need for HD

Uhhh, just when did the market decide there was little or no need for
HD radio. HD radio has really only just become widely available.

but that was just a smoke screen because you
get it anyway.

You seem to be saying that the market creaated a smokescreen, but I'm
sure that is not the case. Who created a smoke screen.

It's over.

At this point I have no interest in buying yet another piece of gear
to receive radio programming that will in alll likelihood be very
similar to what can be gotten over standard radio at no charge. The
programming on HD radio has the potential to be about as interesting
as that available via satellite radio, which is to say not very much.
HD radio does not have an added listening fee which is a minor
benfit.

jw

Old September 19th 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 19, 8:19 am, Roadie wrote:
[...]

jw- Hide quoted text -

Eduardo!

http://hdradiofarce.blogspot.com/200...y-be-near.html

Old September 19th 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 19, 9:32 am, IBOCcrock wrote:
On Sep 19, 8:19 am, Roadie wrote:

[...]

Huh????????

http://hdradiofarce.blogspot.com/200...-be-near.html- Hide quoted text -

Old September 19th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 19, 8:19 am, Roadie wrote:

Catching stations from afar is am enjoyable hobby for DXers that
creates no revenue for the radio station. None. There are more than
enough radio stations to service local areas

Some areas have people but not enough to warrant a local station (not
enough advertising income). The only things these people have for
radio entertainment are the distant stations.

Or, imagine yourself being in a town with maybe one or two local
audible signals (either FM or AM). And neither is a format you
like....what do you do if you want radio? Gotta DX.

Stephanie Weil
New York City, USA

Old September 19th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Sep 19, 7:17 am, Stephanie Weil wrote:
On Sep 19, 8:19 am, Roadie wrote:

Catching stations from afar is am enjoyable hobby for DXers that
creates no revenue for the radio station. None. There are more than
enough radio stations to service local areas

Some areas have people but not enough to warrant a local station (not
enough advertising income). The only things these people have for
radio entertainment are the distant stations.

Or, imagine yourself being in a town with maybe one or two local
audible signals (either FM or AM). And neither is a format you
like....what do you do if you want radio? Gotta DX.

Stephanie Weil
New York City, USA

I Am There : Twain Harte, CA

1 - AM Radio Station down the Hill in Sonora, CA
* Most of the Time I can not here it at Night.

2 - FM Radios Stations down the Hill in Sonora, CA

I Ask Myself : What IBOC ?
All I See Is The Blinking Blue Light ! ~ RHF
In the Distant Land Where IBOC Fears To Go :
Life Exists and Radio Listeners Live Beyond the 10mv/m Contour.

Old September 19th 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 19, 10:17 am, Stephanie Weil wrote:
On Sep 19, 8:19 am, Roadie wrote:

Catching stations from afar is am enjoyable hobby for DXers that
creates no revenue for the radio station. None. There are more than
enough radio stations to service local areas

Some areas have people but not enough to warrant a local station (not
enough advertising income). The only things these people have for
radio entertainment are the distant stations.

Don't forget that radio stations are first businesses. Their target
audience has to be listeners who advertisers feel will be in a
position to respond favorably to their message. Listeners will not
likely drive 500 miles to purchase a car, refrigerator, insurance,
etc. Those few people who live outside the primary listening area are
of no interest to a commercial radio station. It's just tough if the
radio station does something like add HD channels that disrupts the
listening of someone outside the target area. Those are the hard cold
facts of radio stations that hope to make a profit.

Or, imagine yourself being in a town with maybe one or two local
audible signals (either FM or AM). And neither is a format you
like....what do you do if you want radio? Gotta DX.

True you you may have to dx if you live in the boondocks, or buy a
satellite radio setup. But that faraway radio station will for
obvious business reasons have no concern about your listening habits
because you are not a listener who would be of any interest to their
advertisers.

If radio stations were public entities with no profit motive then I
could understand your concerns. But the basic radio model in this
country is built around it being a profit making enterprise.

In NYC you should have no shortage of local radio stations.

Stephanie Weil
New York City, USA

Old September 19th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Stephanie Weil" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 19, 8:19 am, Roadie wrote:

Catching stations from afar is am enjoyable hobby for DXers that
creates no revenue for the radio station. None. There are more than
enough radio stations to service local areas

Some areas have people but not enough to warrant a local station (not
enough advertising income). The only things these people have for
radio entertainment are the distant stations.

Or, imagine yourself being in a town with maybe one or two local
audible signals (either FM or AM). And neither is a format you
like....what do you do if you want radio? Gotta DX.

About the only formats that attract any AM audience among adults are the
variants of news & talk. This is a format that commands less than 10% of
total listening in most markets. Add to that the fact that night listening
to radio is about a quarter of the 6 AM to 7 PM levels.... and you have very
few listeners who would find anything of interest on distant AM stations.

Old September 19th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

How many times before have you bought something that you heard
advertized on radio, or heard and saw advertized on tv? Things that you
have bought before, mostly sitting on the shelves in the stores is the
advertizing that I check outExubera commercial on tv right now.I wouldnt
touch that S..t with a million mile long pole.Most commercials on radio
and tv, I shut that crap off! I never buy any of that new fangled non
sense stuff they advertize.You got people out there, every two or hree
years, they rush out and buy the latest Dell or HP of eMachines or
Gateway or Asus or whatever computer gadgets, they don't know a damn
thing.
cuhulin

Old September 23rd 07, 10:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
How many times before have you bought something that you heard
advertized on radio, or heard and saw advertized on tv? Things that you
have bought before, mostly sitting on the shelves in the stores is the
advertizing that I check outExubera commercial on tv right now.I wouldnt
touch that S..t with a million mile long pole.Most commercials on radio
and tv, I shut that crap off! I never buy any of that new fangled non
sense stuff they advertize.You got people out there, every two or hree
years, they rush out and buy the latest Dell or HP of eMachines or
Gateway or Asus or whatever computer gadgets, they don't know a damn
thing.
cuhulin

Isn't that the truth about that with the commercials. I hardly ever buy
anything I hear advertised on the radio. Frankly, I think most of it is a
bunch of garbage. I generally buy what I need and things I want here and
there. As far as the computer thing, I would suspect it is almost like
radios having to have the best and newest. After a while, you finally run
out of either money or things to buy having too much stuff.

Old September 19th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

If you advertize it on radio or tv,,,, I am NOT going to buy it.
cuhulin