Old September 23rd 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Chinese on AM 650?

Bebo wrote:

I hooked my 80 meter dipole to my Sherwood receiver and was listening to
WSM....Grand Ole Opry outta Nashville on 650 when a Mandarin Chinese
station started coming in and out....Time here is 01:52 UTC

If you're talking today.. it's only 0135 as I write this, and, China is in
daylight.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old September 23rd 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

Bebo wrote:

I hooked my 80 meter dipole to my Sherwood receiver and was listening to
WSM....Grand Ole Opry outta Nashville on 650 when a Mandarin Chinese
station started coming in and out....Time here is 01:52 UTC

If you're talking today.. it's only 0135 as I write this, and, China is in
daylight.

Also, no Chinese heard here on 650 with a 200' wire on an R8, nor on the SR II.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old September 23rd 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bebo wrote:

Time is now 02:25 and WSM is back and booming...

Set your clock...

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old September 23rd 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 22, 9:18 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Bebo" wrote in message

Kentucky

Sorry bout that!

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

"Bebo" wrote in message
. ..
I hooked my 80 meter dipole to my Sherwood receiver and was listening to
WSM....Grand Ole Opry outta Nashville on 650 when a Mandarin Chinese
station started coming in and out....Time here is 01:52 UTC

I don't believe mainland China has been heard in that region since the early
50's, and that on a totally clear channel.

The possibilities for 650 would be some local station running programming
for a Chinese community in North America. There is a station near Richmond,
VA, with major power, but daytime. A low power station in MA, and then a 250
watter in Houston are the North American stations... so nothing licensed to
650 seems likely. Any chance you have some receiver issues?

No, but there's an excellent chance that you have some psychiatric
issues.

Old September 23rd 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Bebo" wrote in message
I hooked my 80 meter dipole to my Sherwood receiver and was listening to
WSM....Grand Ole Opry outta Nashville on 650 when a Mandarin Chinese
station started coming in and out....Time here is 01:52 UTC

I don't believe mainland China has been heard in that region since the early
50's, and that on a totally clear channel.

The possibilities for 650 would be some local station running programming
for a Chinese community in North America. There is a station near Richmond,
VA, with major power, but daytime.

What's the call? I don't see it listed on in the AMLOGBOOK.

Old September 23rd 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Sep 22, 6:31 pm, RHF wrote:
On Sep 22, 6:14 pm, "Bebo" wrote:

Antenna is on a Northeast Southwest axis....Now the Chinese station has
taken over WSM / Grand Ole Opry...It's booming in here in Nicholasville Ky!

Bebo"RHF" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Sep 22, 5:53 pm, "Bebo" wrote:
I hooked my 80 meter dipole to my Sherwood receiver and was listening to
WSM....Grand Ole Opry outta Nashville on 650 when a Mandarin Chinese
station started coming in and out....Time here is 01:52 UTC

BOBO

BoBo - What is your location : City/Metro Area/State ?

What ways {Front & Back} is your Dipole {Broadside} pointing ?

~ RHF

Antenna is on a Northeast Southwest axis ?

Tip-to-Tip ?
SW*-----------oo--------------*NE

Front-to-Back ?
...........NE
------------oo-------------
...........SW

How did you know it was "Mandarin" Chinese ?

~ RHF

On-the-Radio.Net = http://www.ontheradio.net/

Radio-Locator.Com = http://www.radio-locator.com

FCC AM QUERY = http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/amq.html

Old September 23rd 07, 06:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

"Bebo" wrote in message
I hooked my 80 meter dipole to my Sherwood receiver and was listening
WSM....Grand Ole Opry outta Nashville on 650 when a Mandarin Chinese
station started coming in and out....Time here is 01:52 UTC

I don't believe mainland China has been heard in that region since the
early
50's, and that on a totally clear channel.

The possibilities for 650 would be some local station running programming
for a Chinese community in North America. There is a station near
Richmond,
VA, with major power, but daytime.

What's the call? I don't see it listed on in the AMLOGBOOK.

WHAN, 50 kw days, Lunenberg, VA. Your data must be out of date... mine was
updated this morning.

Interesting. I see a Construction Permit for them on the FCC site for 650 kHz,
was on (or still is) 1430 kHz. Shows Change of Community of License from
ASHLAND, VA to VICTORIA, VA.

Old September 23rd 07, 11:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"RHF" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 22, 6:31 pm, RHF wrote:
On Sep 22, 6:14 pm, "Bebo" wrote:

Antenna is on a Northeast Southwest axis....Now the Chinese station has
taken over WSM / Grand Ole Opry...It's booming in here in Nicholasville
Ky!

Bebo"RHF" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Sep 22, 5:53 pm, "Bebo" wrote:
[...]

Strange conditions last night on 75 meters as well as 40 meters. Seems like
some sort of propagation event. I didn't get home until rather late and as
soon as I turned on the radio I saw a lot of signals normally S9 plus 20
showing up at S6 etc. Didn't matter which of the 6 antennas I tried either.
So its possible you received some Chinese skywave propagation. Rare but
possible.

Old September 23rd 07, 11:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Bebo" wrote in message
I hooked my 80 meter dipole to my Sherwood receiver and was listening to
WSM....Grand Ole Opry outta Nashville on 650 when a Mandarin Chinese
station started coming in and out....Time here is 01:52 UTC

BOBO

Possibly a Chinese station because some really strange conditions were on
last night both on 75 meters but also 40 meter ham bands. Considering that
we are getting longer nights in the Northern Hemisphere it is very possible.
At 9 PM eastern here it would be around 8 am to 10 am local China time.
Which would give the possibility of night path propagation. Especially
considering that it might be coming over the North Pole into your station.
It could always be a US based station or Canadian. Since you've tried
several radios with similar results. It sounds not to be a receiver issue
with images or something like that.

75 meters within a few hundred miles totally dropped out last night around
400 UTC and 40 meters was totally non existant. However, 160 meters was
quite good and this morning quite a bit of long distance DX work between US
and Australian stations is occuring. So perhaps the ionosphere is favoring
long distance DX. Its about time as things have been dead here in the
Midwest.

Old September 23rd 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 09:48:40 -0700, David Eduardo wrote:
Shhhh. Don't say it out loud or they may get ideas. WSM is now just about at
the bottom billing-wise in Nashville (one of the gospel daytimers outbills
it by double) so something that made them real money might just happen. WSM
is the lowest billing of all the old 1-A clears and nearly the lowest of all
the 98 stations in the US that have 50 kw at night.

'course, it could be they don't care... as long as people keep coming to
the Opry and the Opryland Hotel and buying stuff off their websites...

Back in the earliest days of radio, the bottom line didn't involve selling
advertising. It was about promoting your own business. You sold life
insurance? You built WSM or WLAC or WTIC & used your airtime to promote
your policies. You sold flour? Build WCCO and promote Gold Medal. You
ran a hotel and spa at Hot Springs, Arkansas? Build KTHS (now KAAY) and
urge tourists to town. Your goals are a bit lower? Use WSIX to sell
tires and tire repairs. I've read (though am not 100% certain this is
accurate) that the first sale of airtime to a third party wasn't until
1927, seven years after commercial broadcasting began. Until then,
"commercial" radio meant selling your own stuff, not somebody else's.

Sounds to me like Radio Disney bills essentially zero. But Disney is
keeping them around. Seems like they feel they're getting their money's
worth in promotion for Disney properties.

(it does seem a bit unlikely that WSM could pull enough business for
Gaylord to support the station -- but the Opryland Hotel *does* do pretty
well...)

FS: Chinese 102E AC PS K3HVG Boatanchors 0 March 27th 07 01:32 AM
Chinese Pingyao ƽң518 Shortwave 0 March 23rd 07 02:32 AM
Chinese AR88 MRe Boatanchors 7 December 23rd 06 01:42 AM
Chinese AR88 Dale Boatanchors 0 December 22nd 06 12:18 PM
OT - Chinese food Steveo CB 2 February 29th 04 12:22 AM