Old September 26th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Chinese on AM 650?

--
William Smith
Indiana

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
. ..

"RHF" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 25, 8:04 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Billy Smith" wrote in message

Also, considering that in past years when time wasn't an issue, I used
regularly receive Atlantic 252 on longwave here in the Midwestern USA
state of Indiana. Not to mention quite a few other longwave catches
starting just after dark local time.

- That is not even an interesting catch.

Many of the LW stations could be used
as indicators of conditions favoring low band MW European DXing when
more of
the LW stations existed. When the LW stations were exceptionally strong,
you
could look for things like Lisbon on 655 that would indicate a good
trans-Atlantic path.

d'Eduado - Clearly Your Interests . . .

Are Not Our Interests. ~ RHF

- - - and that is something to think about.

Yep, just now sent a post lamenting how DXers used to be radio fans. Now
they are declared enemies of the broadcasters and are, in a considerable
percentage, radio haters. You should see some of the reception reports AMs
get these days. The ones that are not lies often have demands for a "QSL"
as if most radio broadcasters knew what a QSL or QRM or SINPO even mean.

.

I guess that does say that most broadcasters are ignorant of what
traditional radio was all about since QSLs were a pretty solid part of the
hobby since the earliest years before the corporate boards deemed the
consumer largely irrelevant. As they do today. Seeing the general lack of
education in US society, one must wonder if even the station staff or
engineers would even know much about any of the traditions of radio.

Old September 26th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Billy Smith" wrote in message

I guess that does say that most broadcasters are ignorant of what
traditional radio was all about since QSLs were a pretty solid part of the
hobby since the earliest years before the corporate boards deemed the
consumer largely irrelevant.

No, "verifications of reception" were common. Few AM and FM radio folks know
what a QSL card is. AM DXers collect "veries" and not QSLs.

As they do today. Seeing the general lack of education in US society, one
must wonder if even the station staff or engineers would even know much
about any of the traditions of radio.

In most cases, they are irrelevant to today's broadcast environment where
the competiton is new media, no an out of town skywave delivered signal

Old September 26th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 26, 1:51 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:
The ones that are not lies often have demands for a "QSL" as
if most radio broadcasters knew what a QSL or QRM or SINPO even mean.

Any radio engineer worth his salt should know AT MINIMUM what a QSL
card is.

Hell, I'm not a ham radio operator and I know what they are.

Stephanie Weil
New York City, USA

Old September 26th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"RHF" wrote in message

[...]

And the fact that they're not "radio fans" is clearly very upsetting
to you, despite your occasional claims about how insignificant the DX
community is. It's clearly significant enough to keep your panties in
a twist.

Old September 26th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 26, 10:15 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Billy Smith" wrote in message

I guess that does say that most broadcasters are ignorant of what
traditional radio was all about since QSLs were a pretty solid part of the
hobby since the earliest years before the corporate boards deemed the
consumer largely irrelevant.

No, "verifications of reception" were common. Few AM and FM radio folks know
what a QSL card is. AM DXers collect "veries" and not QSLs.

As they do today. Seeing the general lack of education in US society, one
must wonder if even the station staff or engineers would even know much
about any of the traditions of radio.

In most cases, they are irrelevant to today's broadcast environment where
the competiton is new media, no an out of town skywave delivered signal

Apparently they're relevant enough to put a bee in your bonnet.

Old September 26th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Stephanie Weil" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 26, 1:51 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:
The ones that are not lies often have demands for a "QSL" as
if most radio broadcasters knew what a QSL or QRM or SINPO even mean.

Any radio engineer worth his salt should know AT MINIMUM what a QSL
card is.

Unless an engineer is a ham, and fewer and fewer are today, the knowledge of
Q codes is limited. In the MW DX ranks, the terms are not used that often.
But that assumes that a station engineer is going to get a reception report.

With most smaller market stations using contract outside engineering
services, requests for verification of reception often go to managers, PDs,
the receptionist, etc. It's highly unlikely that any among those ranks would
know what a QSL is. And the contract engineers are paid a fee or by the
hour; they don't, unless DXers themselves, answer reception reports.

In fact, if you look at the NRC "report form" going back decades, the "QSL"
term is not used; the form requests a "verification that I received your
station at my location."

Many of the Scandinavian DXers get this. Reports received by KTNQ from that
part of the world use totally non-DX terms to explain their hobby as one of
taking the challenge of catching stations at great distances and collecting
proofs of such receptions.

Old September 26th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Stephanie Weil wrote:
On Sep 26, 1:51 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:
The ones that are not lies often have demands for a "QSL" as
if most radio broadcasters knew what a QSL or QRM or SINPO even mean.

Any radio engineer worth his salt should know AT MINIMUM what a QSL
card is.

Hell, I'm not a ham radio operator and I know what they are.

Stephanie Weil
New York City, USA

I've worked with two, now, one going back 30 years, who didn't know
what a QSL card was.

FS: Chinese 102E AC PS K3HVG Boatanchors 0 March 27th 07 01:32 AM
Chinese Pingyao ƽң518 Shortwave 0 March 23rd 07 02:32 AM
Chinese AR88 MRe Boatanchors 7 December 23rd 06 01:42 AM
Chinese AR88 Dale Boatanchors 0 December 22nd 06 12:18 PM
OT - Chinese food Steveo CB 2 February 29th 04 12:22 AM