Old October 1st 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast

Default HOW OLD are you?

Cubit wrote:
"Dirk Bruere at NeoPax" wrote in message
I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

54
http://www.neopax.com/

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London

Remote Viewing!

It makes me wonder what percentage of the GDP is dedicated to things that do
not exist.

Like qubits?

Old October 1st 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Forklift driver? I drove a Duece and a half almost every day in Vietnam,
many times, a forklift too.We had three reject forklifts.One of them was
a big tall Baker forklift, it stayed broken down all the time.Another
one was a Towmotor, sometimes it would run.The other one was a Clark, it
always cranked up and ran,,,,, you had to be careful of that two speed
gear shift lever on the right hand side of it though,,,, it had a habit
of falling off.One time, on purpose, I ran the right rear wheel of that
Clark fork lift over a big roll of banding strip.Because it was there!
cuhulin

Old October 1st 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast

On Sep 30, 11:55 am, (Don Pearce) wrote:

he is an engineer too, as is the bloke who sits
at a mixing desk with not the slightest clue as to what he is doing,
and moves a fader while trying to look cool.

I don't call those people engineers, and any self-respecting
broadcaster would not, either. Those are board operators. In TV the
same function is called a TD or technical director, or simply a
switcher. A TD would be laughed out of the control room if he called
himself an engineer.

I'm mystified as to why this topic was crossposted to 4 disparate
newsgroups with little relation to each other. I don't even know who
any of the respondents are, except for Phil Kane.

Old October 1st 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast

wrote in message
oups.com

I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm 60 and I'm a degreed engineer. Professionally, I've spent more time
doing IT than anything else.

Old October 1st 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

If you stare at a computer all day long, you get dumber by the minute.

www.contemplator.com (Annie Laurie)
cuhulin

Old October 1st 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast

On Sep 30, 1:42 pm, wrote:
I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

I am a 44 year old single gay white male. 5' 7" tall, 313 lbs. I am
unable to work due to my weight and other health problems I would
rather not go into. Thanks to social security disability payments and
other government assistance I am able to enjoy many of my hobbies
which include shortwave radio.

A.W.S.
President
GLT Shortwave Club

Old October 1st 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast

In article .com,
wrote:

I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

I'm old enough to know better. Maybe you will be a grownup some day.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old October 1st 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast

In article om,
SFTV_troy wrote:

Phil Kane wrote:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 20:35:59 GMT, (Don Pearce)
wrote:

He can't be a competent engineer if he doesn't understand synchronous
detection, which may predate single side band, pre 1952.

He can't be a competent engineer if he doesn't understand three-phase
power generation and transmission as well. Learning all that was
necessary before we could learn electronics in every major engineering
school.

That was optional at Penn State. I never took it.

I didn't say it was. I said ANALOG theory was. Digital of course
still has relevance.

But every digital device is full of analogue devices. Not only that,
but they run so quickly that you need to be highly competent in
distributed circuit theory and microwave design techniques.

That is true. I was rather surprised on my last project to discover
myself modeling analog signals, instead of digital. Oh well. Times
change.

Perhaps after he has 40-50 years of experience --

Doubtful. Engineering is boring; you sit in a damn cube all day long,
staring at a computer. I've been saving every penny, such that I will
be able to retire at 40-45. Or semi-retire (only take jobs I like).

Engineering is dull.

Well you took a wrong turn didn't you but it's never to late to get into
marketing where you can lie your ass off. It's very exciting, just ask
Eduardo.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California