RadioBanter

-   -   HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/125551-how-many-people-listen-distant-100-mile-am-night.html)

SFTV_troy October 1st 07 11:54 AM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

How many AM DX'ers are there?
How many nighttime AM listeners are there?

Does anyone know the official numbers? Has the FCC tracked it? I'm
looking for a reliable source.

Roadie October 1st 07 12:54 PM

On Oct 1, 6:54 am, SFTV_troy wrote:
How many AM DX'ers are there?
How many nighttime AM listeners are there?

Two very different questions. The first one has no answer, but is
lilkely quite small. The number of nighttime listeners is
porincipally their local audience and the counts are likely available
from Arbitron or the radio station in question.

Does anyone know the official numbers? Has the FCC tracked it? I'm
looking for a reliable source.

The real question is whether radio stations really care about geting
an inconsistent signal to non-local listeners on nighttime AM. The
inability to provide a consistent signal coupled with advertising that
is usually local in nature would seem to indicate that non-local
listeners are not much of a concern to AM stations.

IBOCcrock October 1st 07 02:05 PM

On Oct 1, 7:54 am, Roadie wrote:
On Oct 1, 6:54 am, SFTV_troy wrote:

How many AM DX'ers are there?
How many nighttime AM listeners are there?

Two very different questions. The first one has no answer, but is
lilkely quite small. The number of nighttime listeners is
porincipally their local audience and the counts are likely available
from Arbitron or the radio station in question.

Does anyone know the official numbers? Has the FCC tracked it? I'm
looking for a reliable source.

The real question is whether radio stations really care about geting
an inconsistent signal to non-local listeners on nighttime AM. The
inability to provide a consistent signal coupled with advertising that
is usually local in nature would seem to indicate that non-local
listeners are not much of a concern to AM stations.

Because of this arrogance, terrestrial radio will be obsolete within
20 years.

Roadie October 1st 07 02:24 PM

On Oct 1, 10:00 am, David wrote:
On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 04:54:21 -0700, Roadie wrote:
On Oct 1, 6:54 am, SFTV_troy wrote:
How many AM DX'ers are there?
How many nighttime AM listeners are there?

Two very different questions. The first one has no answer, but is
lilkely quite small. The number of nighttime listeners is
porincipally their local audience and the counts are likely available
from Arbitron or the radio station in question.

Does anyone know the official numbers? Has the FCC tracked it? I'm
looking for a reliable source.

The real question is whether radio stations really care about geting
an inconsistent signal to non-local listeners on nighttime AM. The
inability to provide a consistent signal coupled with advertising that
is usually local in nature would seem to indicate that non-local
listeners are not much of a concern to AM stations.

Radio stations are supposed to operate in the public interest. If
people like Dwardo had their way all radio would cease transmitting at
7 PM because the advertising drops below the breakeven level. All 50
kW stations would cut their power by 3 dB to save money on electric
bills and all would run syndicated talk radio because those ASCAP fees
cut into the bottom line and it's much cheaper to pay a hatemonger.- Hide quoted text -

Operating in the public interest is fine, but targeting an audience
hundreds of miles away that an advertiser would have little hope of
selling his product to makes no business sense at all. And radio
stations are businesses that attempt to be profitable.

Roadie October 1st 07 02:28 PM

On Oct 1, 9:05 am, IBOCcrock wrote:
On Oct 1, 7:54 am, Roadie wrote:

On Oct 1, 6:54 am, SFTV_troy wrote:

How many AM DX'ers are there?
How many nighttime AM listeners are there?

Two very different questions. The first one has no answer, but is
lilkely quite small. The number of nighttime listeners is
porincipally their local audience and the counts are likely available
from Arbitron or the radio station in question.

Does anyone know the official numbers? Has the FCC tracked it? I'm
looking for a reliable source.

The real question is whether radio stations really care about geting
an inconsistent signal to non-local listeners on nighttime AM. The
inability to provide a consistent signal coupled with advertising that
is usually local in nature would seem to indicate that non-local
listeners are not much of a concern to AM stations.

Because of this arrogance, terrestrial radio will be obsolete within
20 years.- Hide quoted text -

Indeed if local audiences decide that internet, satellite, HD and
cable are more reliable ways to obtain information and entertainment
it may not take that long. But my guess is that radio stations will
continue to target and broadcast to local audiences. They will also
continue to not targer dxers and other out-of-area audiences.

Brenda Ann October 1st 07 02:29 PM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

"Roadie" wrote in message
ps.com...
Radio stations are supposed to operate in the public interest. If
people like Dwardo had their way all radio would cease transmitting at
7 PM because the advertising drops below the breakeven level. All 50
kW stations would cut their power by 3 dB to save money on electric
bills and all would run syndicated talk radio because those ASCAP fees
cut into the bottom line and it's much cheaper to pay a hatemonger.- Hide
quoted text -

Operating in the public interest is fine, but targeting an audience
hundreds of miles away that an advertiser would have little hope of
selling his product to makes no business sense at all. And radio
stations are businesses that attempt to be profitable.

This is where you sell national products. People buy Coke, Pepsi, STP,
Quaker State (and Quaker Oats) everywhere. Most nighttime radio has long
been such spots (as has network radio always been).

[email protected] October 1st 07 03:07 PM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

Roadie wrote:

How many AM DX'ers are there?

...has no answer, but is likely quite small.

I agree, but I'd still like to see some kind of answer, or rough
estimate (like 10,000 nationwide). Guess I'll go google searching.

How many nighttime AM listeners are there?

The number of nighttime listeners is principally their
local audience and the counts are likely available
from Arbitron or the radio station in question.

arbitron only list 6am to midnight. There's no breakdown available
for nighttime hours, at least none that I can see.

[email protected] October 1st 07 03:07 PM

David wrote:
On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 04:54:21 -0700, Roadie

The real question is whether radio stations really care about geting
an inconsistent signal to non-local listeners on nighttime AM. The
inability to provide a consistent signal coupled with advertising that
is usually local in nature would seem to indicate that non-local
listeners are not much of a concern to AM stations.

Radio stations are supposed to operate in the public interest.

Yes the *majority* public interest, not the micro-minority that
numbers 0.01% of the populace. The FCC is under no obligation to
serve a micro-minority's interest.

And yes it is a micro-minority.

It's not the 50s anymore..... today's population of teens and young
adults are listening to the *internet* for their Distance radio, not
SW or AM skywave. The FCC is hear to serve THEM - the majority - and
their wish to have more variety, more choices, more eclectic music
styles (like "indie rock" on 98ROCK-HD 3).

The FCC is serving the majority's wishes, not the 0.01% micro-
minority.

people like Dwardo had their way all radio would cease transmitting at
7 PM because the advertising drops below the breakeven level. All 50
kW stations would cut their power by 3 dB to save money on electric

I admit it. If I had my way, AM stations would be forbidden to
broadcast further than 100 miles. Only 2 or 3 "superstations" like
WGN or WTBS or WOR would be allowed to do national-wide AM. Thus
cleaning-up the air.

Alternatively:

I would forbid Digital broadcast at night, and propose to the FCC
board that AM analog be terminated in 2015. (Same as the UK and
Germany are planning to do.) At that time AM-HD would take over
during night broadcasts.

[email protected] October 1st 07 03:15 PM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

Welllllll,,,, you know and I tell y'all what.(say, What?) I rarely do
any AM DXing anymore.When I was much younger, (old Western Cowboy movie
about the Younger brothers.[[Are you a Younger brother?]] //No, I am
older than him!//) I used to be a real AM DXing hound dog.

Detour, 1945 old, old, old movie is on the Radio tb TCM channel right
now.That's a right good movie.I wouldn't mind ''tying up'' with a blonde
like that one,,,, either Ann Savage, or is she Claudia Drake?
cuhulin

IBOCcrock October 1st 07 05:48 PM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

On Oct 1, 6:54 am, SFTV_troy wrote:
How many AM DX'ers are there?
How many nighttime AM listeners are there?

Does anyone know the official numbers? Has the FCC tracked it? I'm
looking for a reliable source.

A lot more than you think, especially in rural and the Mid-West.

IBOCcrock October 1st 07 05:49 PM

On Oct 1, 10:07 am, wrote:
David wrote:
[...]

Do you dress-up for the Star Trek conventions?

[email protected] October 1st 07 06:41 PM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

Brenda Ann wrote:

[National AM] is where you sell national products. People buy Coke,
Pepsi, STP, Quaker State (and Quaker Oats) everywhere. Most
nighttime radio has long been such spots (as has network radio).

Advertisers are not interested in anybody older than 35. Their
proclaimed reason: People over 35 are "set in their ways" and no
amount of advertising is going to make them switch brands. For
example, if you've used Crest for the last twenty years, no number of
ads is going to make you switch to Colgate.

BUT:

The young teens and adults are "undecided". They have no brand
loyalty, and those are the people advertisers want to target. 35 and
under.

Thus national AM with its over 45 crowd is extremely UNattractive to
advertisers.

[email protected] October 1st 07 06:43 PM

IBOCcrock wrote:
On Oct 1, 10:07 am, wrote:

I would forbid Digital broadcast at night, and propose to the FCC
board that AM analog be terminated in 2015. (Same as the UK
and Germany are planning to do.) Then HD would take over.

Do you dress-up for the Star Trek conventions?

Never been to one. I did go to a World Science Fiction Convention one
time (where the Hugo Awards are presented), but everyone dressed
normally.

RHF October 1st 07 06:59 PM

On Oct 1, 10:41 am, wrote:
Brenda Ann wrote:

[National AM] is where you sell national products. People buy Coke,
Pepsi, STP, Quaker State (and Quaker Oats) everywhere. Most
nighttime radio has long been such spots (as has network radio).

Advertisers are not interested in anybody older than 35. Their
proclaimed reason: People over 35 are "set in their ways" and no
amount of advertising is going to make them switch brands. For
example, if you've used Crest for the last twenty years, no number of
ads is going to make you switch to Colgate.

BUT:

The young teens and adults are "undecided". They have no brand
loyalty, and those are the people advertisers want to target. 35 and
under.

Thus national AM with its over 45 crowd is extremely UNattractive to
advertisers.

Dang Gee Golly Wally !

Instead of Calibrating my 21st Anniversary of my 39th Birthday
- I must be Calibrating my 39th Anniversary of my 21st Birthday
-cause- I change products all the time based on what's 'new'
and 'improved'.

old and tired and 'feeling' real un-attractive right now ~ RHF

David Eduardo[_4_] October 1st 07 07:03 PM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

wrote in message
ups.com...

The number of nighttime listeners is principally their
local audience and the counts are likely available
from Arbitron or the radio station in question.

arbitron only list 6am to midnight. There's no breakdown available
for nighttime hours, at least none that I can see.

There is data for every hour of the day, but licensed only for use by
Arbitron subscribers. It takes a couple of clicks to get a Midnight to 6 AM
ranker or table. In fact, many stations in large metros with lots of shift
workers consider the prime morning drive time to begin at 5 AM, and they do
a 5 AM to 10 AM drive time table for sales.

David Eduardo[_4_] October 1st 07 07:04 PM

"David" wrote in message

Radio stations are supposed to operate in the public interest. If
people like Dwardo had their way all radio would cease transmitting at
7 PM because the advertising drops below the breakeven level. All 50
kW stations would cut their power by 3 dB to save money on electric
bills and all would run syndicated talk radio because those ASCAP fees
cut into the bottom line and it's much cheaper to pay a hatemonger.

Who said talk stations do not pay ASCAP, BMI and SESAC. They do. Music in
bumpers, commercials, etc., also has to be licensed.

David Eduardo[_4_] October 1st 07 07:15 PM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"Roadie" wrote in message
ps.com...
Radio stations are supposed to operate in the public interest. If
people like Dwardo had their way all radio would cease transmitting at
7 PM because the advertising drops below the breakeven level. All 50
kW stations would cut their power by 3 dB to save money on electric
bills and all would run syndicated talk radio because those ASCAP fees
cut into the bottom line and it's much cheaper to pay a hatemonger.-

Operating in the public interest is fine, but targeting an audience
hundreds of miles away that an advertiser would have little hope of
selling his product to makes no business sense at all. And radio
stations are businesses that attempt to be profitable.

This is where you sell national products. People buy Coke, Pepsi, STP,
Quaker State (and Quaker Oats) everywhere. Most nighttime radio has long
been such spots (as has network radio always been).

That is just not how radio is sold. Local radio is sold for the local metro,
and you get no greater rate because you have more extensive coverage.

The accounts you mention don't buy night radio, anyway. Most of them do not
buy the ages that AM radio attracts. One of them does not buy radio at all.

Networks are a device to collect in one buy stations in many markets, and
the audience estimates are compiled from the ratings of the individual
stations. Networks are used in radio to provide content a station wants for
"free" to the station; the station gives part of the time, which the network
resells in a package, usually at a rate lower than the sum of the rates of
each station. That way the network gets revenue, and the station does not
have hard cash costs... this is similar to the model for network TV, too.

Only one network show I know of, Rush, requires in some markets an amount of
cash as well as inventory (but there may be a few others). The syndication
model, similar to network, was invented by the folks who created American
Top 40... principally Tom Rounds... around 1970. The show was generally free
to the station, or had a small payment for hard costs, and the station ran
the program's spots, which provided Watermark with its profits. One show,
the famous or infamous one created by Art Bell, required most of the barter
spots to be run in the daytime, except for a few that had an appeal to
overnight listeners specifically, such as the "consumer DX radios" they
often peddle.

David Eduardo[_4_] October 1st 07 07:18 PM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

"Roadie" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 1, 6:54 am, SFTV_troy wrote:
How many AM DX'ers are there?
How many nighttime AM listeners are there?

Two very different questions. The first one has no answer, but is
lilkely quite small. The number of nighttime listeners is
porincipally their local audience and the counts are likely available
from Arbitron or the radio station in question.

Subscribers in each of the roughly 300 rated markets can see the Midnight to
6 AM audiences in the software application we get to view ratings. One can
also, of course, see 7 PM to Midnight or any individual hour by age, sex,
ethnicity and even county or ZIP code cluster. If a station has audience in
an adjacent market, or even a distant one, they would have to subscribe to
the other market reports... which given the cost vs. no benefits, they
seldom do.

Does anyone know the official numbers? Has the FCC tracked it? I'm
looking for a reliable source.

The real question is whether radio stations really care about geting
an inconsistent signal to non-local listeners on nighttime AM. The
inability to provide a consistent signal coupled with advertising that
is usually local in nature would seem to indicate that non-local
listeners are not much of a concern to AM stations.

Good analysis.

David Eduardo[_4_] October 1st 07 07:20 PM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

wrote in message
ups.com...

Brenda Ann wrote:

[National AM] is where you sell national products. People buy Coke,
Pepsi, STP, Quaker State (and Quaker Oats) everywhere. Most
nighttime radio has long been such spots (as has network radio).

Advertisers are not interested in anybody older than 35.

Actually, 35-to-54 is a key if not total part of most campaigns. Nearly all
ad agency business is bought against 18-54 or some subset, like Assimilated
Hispanic Women between 25 and 44.

RHF October 2nd 07 06:51 AM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

On Oct 1, 11:20 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

Brenda Ann wrote:

[National AM] is where you sell national products. People buy Coke,
Pepsi, STP, Quaker State (and Quaker Oats) everywhere. Most
nighttime radio has long been such spots (as has network radio).

Advertisers are not interested in anybody older than 35.

Actually, 35-to-54 is a key if not total part of most campaigns. Nearly all
ad agency business is bought against 18-54 or some subset,

- like Assimilated Hispanic Women between 25 and 44.

d'Eduardo - "Assimilated Hispanic Women"
Have the BORG been 'assimilating' Hispanic Women
and making them part of the All-America 'Collective' ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assimilation_(Star_Trek)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_%2...onal_aliens%29

we are 'iboc' - resistance-is-futile ~ RHF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistance_is_futile
we control the analog and the digital 'hd' radio signal
- our digital noise artifacts are everywhere . . .

David Eduardo[_4_] October 2nd 07 06:54 AM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

"RHF" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 1, 11:20 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

Brenda Ann wrote:

[National AM] is where you sell national products. People buy Coke,
Pepsi, STP, Quaker State (and Quaker Oats) everywhere. Most
nighttime radio has long been such spots (as has network radio).

Advertisers are not interested in anybody older than 35.

Actually, 35-to-54 is a key if not total part of most campaigns. Nearly
all
ad agency business is bought against 18-54 or some subset,

- like Assimilated Hispanic Women between 25 and 44.

d'Eduardo - "Assimilated Hispanic Women"
Have the BORG been 'assimilating' Hispanic Women

No, this one is a Klingon plot. But still, resistance is futile.

(Interestingly, my spell checker suggested "Clinton" for "Klingon.")

N7ZZT - Eric Oyen October 2nd 07 07:15 AM

SFTV_troy wrote:

How many AM DX'ers are there?
How many nighttime AM listeners are there?

Does anyone know the official numbers? Has the FCC tracked it? I'm
looking for a reliable source.

well,
I know I do more than occassionally.
I particularly like the "CBS Radio Mystery Theater" on one of the mid west
stations (and here I am in Arizona)

dxAce October 2nd 07 09:12 AM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

David Eduardo wrote:

"RHF" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 1, 11:20 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

Brenda Ann wrote:

[National AM] is where you sell national products. People buy Coke,
Pepsi, STP, Quaker State (and Quaker Oats) everywhere. Most
nighttime radio has long been such spots (as has network radio).

Advertisers are not interested in anybody older than 35.

Actually, 35-to-54 is a key if not total part of most campaigns. Nearly
all
ad agency business is bought against 18-54 or some subset,

- like Assimilated Hispanic Women between 25 and 44.

d'Eduardo - "Assimilated Hispanic Women"
Have the BORG been 'assimilating' Hispanic Women

No, this one is a Klingon plot. But still, resistance is futile.

(Interestingly, my spell checker suggested "Clinton" for "Klingon.")

My spell checker suggests "Dingleberry" for "Eduardo".

SFTV_troy October 2nd 07 01:08 PM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

On Oct 2, 4:02 am, dxAce
SFTV_troy wrote:
On Oct 2, 3:12 am, dxAce
David Eduardo wrote:

(my spell checker suggested "Clinton" for "Klingon.")

My spell checker suggests "Dingleberry" for "Eduardo".

My spell checker recommends "Ass" for "dxAce".

My spell checker suggested "Tard Boy" for "Troy".

Sorry. Fail. "Tard" is nowhere as bad as my spell-checker calling
you "Ass".

dxAce October 2nd 07 01:12 PM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

SFTV_troy wrote:

On Oct 2, 4:02 am, dxAce
SFTV_troy wrote:
On Oct 2, 3:12 am, dxAce
David Eduardo wrote:

(my spell checker suggested "Clinton" for "Klingon.")

My spell checker suggests "Dingleberry" for "Eduardo".

My spell checker recommends "Ass" for "dxAce".

My spell checker suggested "Tard Boy" for "Troy".

Sorry. Fail. "Tard" is nowhere as bad as my spell-checker calling
you "Ass".

Sez you.

David Eduardo[_4_] October 2nd 07 02:56 PM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

"David" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 18:03:22 GMT, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

The number of nighttime listeners is principally their
local audience and the counts are likely available
from Arbitron or the radio station in question.

arbitron only list 6am to midnight. There's no breakdown available
for nighttime hours, at least none that I can see.

There is data for every hour of the day, but licensed only for use by
Arbitron subscribers. It takes a couple of clicks to get a Midnight to 6
AM
ranker or table. In fact, many stations in large metros with lots of shift
workers consider the prime morning drive time to begin at 5 AM, and they
do
a 5 AM to 10 AM drive time table for sales.

Shift workers? What are shift workers?

Shift workers are those working in factories or businesses where there are
multiple shifts. One shift goes off as another comes on. In industrial
processes, shifts in LA at least tend to be 6-2, 2-10 and 10 to 6.

David October 2nd 07 03:15 PM

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 06:24:37 -0700, Roadie wrote:

Operating in the public interest is fine, but targeting an audience
hundreds of miles away that an advertiser would have little hope of
selling his product to makes no business sense at all. And radio
stations are businesses that attempt to be profitable.

They are public trustees using a part of the commons and in return
must operate in the public interest. If they make money, fine, but
they have a higher obligation to serve the people who grant them a
license.

[email protected] October 2nd 07 03:28 PM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

I was listening to Paul Gallo's Radio talk show this morning.
www.supertalkms.com A little part of Paul's radio show, Keith A. Baca
was on there talking about his new book, Native American Place Names in
Mississsippi.(I have to have that book, that's all there is to it, I
have to have it) www.devilfinder.com Native American Place
Names in Mississippi

www.upress.state.ms.us/books/880

If I had been listening (DXing) to a radio station hundreds of miles
away, would I have heard about that book? (and Hog
Corn,Mississippi.Indians used to let their hogs out so they could go eat
Beechnuts, they called the place Hog Corn) Metinks not.Ridgewood Road is
only about six or seven miles from doggy's couch.I might drive over
there today.
cuhulin

[email protected] October 2nd 07 05:02 PM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

How many times have you heard someone say?

www.devilfinder.com that Song.
cuhulin

[email protected][_2_] October 2nd 07 07:19 PM

On Oct 2, 1:56 am, SFTV_troy wrote:

My spell checker recommends "Ass" for "dxAce".

(That was too easy.)

He don't got one. He always be bragging dat he laffed it off after
using it for F'ing. That is also why he is so full of sh*t. It ain't
got nowhere to go, except maybe out his mouth.

dxAce October 2nd 07 07:23 PM

" wrote:

On Oct 2, 1:56 am, SFTV_troy wrote:

My spell checker recommends "Ass" for "dxAce".

(That was too easy.)

He don't got one. He always be bragging dat he laffed it off after
using it for F'ing. That is also why he is so full of sh*t. It ain't
got nowhere to go, except maybe out his mouth.

I hope not, 'cause then I'd be just like you!

[email protected] October 2nd 07 07:31 PM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

Tall balled headed Crag.He done parked his motorhome in skinny twin
sister's back yard, he said he works off shore too.Craig wanted to know
if if I have a piece of four by eight plywood.

Hold on a minute, Craig,,, let me put my little doggy up and we will go
see.Biggest old piece of plywood I had was about two by four feet.Craig
said he can use it.I told him, Anytime, scootch around back there and
get whatever wood he needs.
cuhulin

[email protected] October 2nd 07 07:35 PM

David Eduardo wrote:
wrote in message

There is data for every hour of the day, but licensed only for use by
Arbitron subscribers. It takes a couple of clicks to get a Midnight to 6 AM
ranker or table. In fact, many stations in large metros with lots of shift
workers consider the prime morning drive time to begin at 5 AM, and they do
a 5 AM to 10 AM drive time table for sales.

If you have that information, please share. How many AM listeners are
there during the 8 to midnight hours?

[email protected] October 2nd 07 07:41 PM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

On Oct 1, 1:18 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:

If a station wants to see an adjacent market, or even a distant one,
they would have to subscribe to the other market reports...
which given the cost vs. no benefits, they seldom do.

And so AM clearchannels really DON'T care about distant markets. They
don't even bother to look (too expensive).

[email protected] October 2nd 07 07:47 PM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

I have a piece of a one.Probally only a little tickler for the wimmins.
cuhulin

David Eduardo[_4_] October 2nd 07 09:16 PM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

wrote in message
ups.com...

David Eduardo wrote:
wrote in message

There is data for every hour of the day, but licensed only for use by
Arbitron subscribers. It takes a couple of clicks to get a Midnight to 6
AM
ranker or table. In fact, many stations in large metros with lots of
shift
workers consider the prime morning drive time to begin at 5 AM, and they
do
a 5 AM to 10 AM drive time table for sales.

If you have that information, please share. How many AM listeners are
there during the 8 to midnight hours?

Where? To what station? In what market? AQH listeners, cume listeners, MSA
listeners, DMA listeners?

David Eduardo[_4_] October 2nd 07 09:18 PM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 1, 1:18 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:

If a station wants to see an adjacent market, or even a distant one,
they would have to subscribe to the other market reports...
which given the cost vs. no benefits, they seldom do.

And so AM clearchannels really DON'T care about distant markets. They
don't even bother to look (too expensive).

And no returns.

A good example: 40% or more of the Riverside San Bernardino audience is
listening at any given time to LA stations. 3 of the top 5 stations there
are usually LA stations. But LA stations do not sell advertising there,
because the market is about 30th in the US, and spots go for $100 or less.
In LA, the top radio market for revenue, spots can be sold for way over
$1000 each. Why sell a $100 buck ad when you can sell for over a grand each?

SFTV_troy October 2nd 07 11:05 PM

HOW MANY people listen to Distant (100 mile) AM at night?

On Oct 2, 3:16 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

David Eduardo wrote:
wrote in message

There is data for every hour of the day, but licensed only for use by
Arbitron subscribers. It takes a couple of clicks to get a
Midnight to 6 AM ranker or table.

If you have that information, please share. How many AM
listeners are there during the 8 to midnight hours?

Where? To what station? In what market? AQH listeners,
cume listeners, MSA listeners, DMA listeners?

I don't really care. Just pick some random market, 8 pm to midnight,
and AQH Share. I just want a rough estimate of how many spend their
evenings listening to AM.

Thank you.