Old October 6th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Sonido Radio vs. Sangean PR-D5 (re. am/fm reception)

Hi,

I'm considering buying a Sonido radio since it looks like a good fit for
a particular application I have in mind, but am curious if people have had a
chance to compare its reception to the Sangean PR-D5 model. If the PR-D5's
reception is significantly better on am and/or fm, I might go for that model
instead. However, I like the Sonido's single speaker, long battery life,
and inclusion of TV band, so if it's reception is on a par with the PR-D5,
then the Sonido would be my pick. Any suggestions, or experiences comparing
these radios?

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

Old October 17th 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 5, 4:05 pm, "Stephen"
wrote:
Hi,

I'm considering buying a Sonido radio since it looks like a good fit for
a particular application I have in mind, but am curious if people have had a
chance to compare its reception to the Sangean PR-D5 model. If the PR-D5's
reception is significantly better on am and/or fm, I might go for that model
instead. However, I like the Sonido's single speaker, long battery life,
and inclusion of TV band, so if it's reception is on a par with the PR-D5,
then the Sonido would be my pick. Any suggestions, or experiences comparing
these radios?

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

Stephen,

The PR-D5 has 2.5 inch dual stereo speakers, which are not as rich as
the Sonido's single monoaural 3-inch speaker. The Sonido typically is
10 dollars more essentially because it uses the same high-grade
speaker as its big cousin the Sangean WR-2, which I own. I also own
the PR-D5, which has adequate speakers but not as full as the WR-2's
or the Sonido's. Reception is strong on both the PR-D5 and the Sonido
with their telescopic antenna. Do you need TV band on Sonido? Do you
prefer the bigger monoaural speaker? You can't lose with either radio.
Bests,

Jeff McMahon "herculodge"

Old October 17th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Jeff,

Thanks for pointing out the difference in the speakers - I hadn't picked
up on that from the pictures I've seen. I would prefer the improved tonal
balance rather than stereo. And, yes, the tv band is something I'm looking
for (my plan b was that if I used the PR-D5, I could patch in a different
radio that gets the tv band and use the Sangean as an amplified speaker -
but simpler is better).
Actually, I wound up ordering the Sonido, and it arrived just yesterday!
So I'm still checking it out... One initial impression is that Sangean's
remarkable DT-200V pocket size radio seems to be just a bit more sensitive
on the TV band (which can make an audible difference since we're in a rural
area). Overall, though, the Sonido does appear to be a well make radio, and
I'm looking forward to comparing it with some of my other favorites (Grundig
S350, Degen 1103, ...) :-) .
Thanks for your comments,
Stephen

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old October 19th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 17, 10:10 am, "Stephen"
wrote:
[...]

wrote in message

oups.com...

On Oct 5, 4:05 pm, "Stephen"
wrote:
[...]

You were wise to go for the 3-inch speaker. Bests,

Jeff McMahon