Old October 8th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default BROADCAST RADIO: continuing to suck wind

"BROADCAST RADIO: continuing to suck wind"

Well, yet another Top 40 station near me officially bit the dust
almost exactly an hour ago. At noon Eastern time, the local
Indianapolis pop/hip hop station, WNOU "Radio Now" 93.1, switched to a
temporary format of all-Christmas-music-all-the-time through the end
of the year, at which point it'll be replaced by an FM-dial version of
local WIBC's news/talk format.

The local owner of the station, Emmis Communications, has been on the
financial ropes due to mismanagement and an overly-aggressive
expansion strategy for quite some time now, as it struggled (and
failed) to try to keep up with the radio-industry behemoth, Clear
Channel Communications. But even Clear Channel has seen more than its
fair share of financial woes lately, and what was once the 800-lb.
gorilla in the radio universe is now on the cusp of having to be taken
private just in order to be able to stay afloat.

Emmis can spin-doctor its "choice" to switch from a music to a talk
format all it wants, but anyone who's paying the slightest bit of
attention in the radio industry knows damn well what is really going
on here. The funding for the Clear Channel private equity deal dried
up at about the same time that the RIAA released its latest batch of
truly dismal numbers regarding the state of purchased recorded music
in the country. Quite simply, no one cares about playlisted radio any
more. Since it's becoming easier (not to mention cheaper) to put
together one's own personalized playlists online through the myriad of
streaming options available out there, even so-called "HD radio",
which broadcasts in the digital frequencies between the regular analog
ones, hasn't taken off the way industry peeps expected it to. And that
means advertisers, the lifeblood of any "free" music station, have
been deserting in droves for other avenues.

Just about the only viable option LEFT on the FM dial any more is news/
talk, just as it was in the late seventies when listeners deserted AM
en masse for greener pastures. And on-air yakkers are a lot cheaper to
find, by the dozen, than their relatively more diva-esque DJ
counterparts, who get paid just as much but are on the air something
like 80% less.

This is it, people. You read it here first. Music is officially dead.
It's the end of the world. Society is on the brink of utter collapse.
Get in your bomb shelters now, we're all gonna die. XD

http://ozy-y2k.livejournal.com/338426.html

Ha! Ha! Eduardo!

Old October 8th 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"IBOCcrock" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ha! Ha! Eduardo!

Music is hardly dead... there are 20 FMs in the market, 16 with signals good
enough to be considered viable. On single station that changed from a
less-than-successful music format to talk does not mean music audiences are
down... it just means that the change is on to move successful AM formats to
Fm where they are accessible to under-55 listeners in a form they will use.
WIBC (AM) has been third or fourth in the market in the last few years, and
used to be a solid #1. The decline in 25-54 has affected them, so they are
going to put the format on FM where they believe they can recover the
younger, salable age groups. They will put a sports format on 1070, which is
a good use of the facility.

In that market, there is only one other AM in the top 20, a Black gospel
station. After that, no AM has more than a 1 share. There were only 11 AM
shares total in the market in Spring, and less than 7 shares in 25-54. WIBC
moved to FM because their opportunities on AM were very limited and in
decline. This is what I have been saying for years... the only viable AM
format, talk, and its variants, will be moving to FM over the next few years
and AM will be limited to very niche formats and brokered services at that
point.

Old October 8th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 8, 1:39 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
This is what I have been saying for years... the only viable AM
format, talk, and its variants, will be moving to FM over the next few years
and AM will be limited to very niche formats and brokered services at that
point.

This isn't what you've been saying. It's what you've been trying to
cause.

Old October 8th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"IBOCcrock" wrote in message

[...]

That's right Steve - destroy AM with IBOC, then move the news/talk/
sports to FMs.

Old October 8th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"IBOCcrock" wrote in message

[...]

"Fresh FM vs. Stale FM"

"'No FM' is really where I see the next generation and future ones
heading. It is very unlikely they will redirect their attention from
iPods, computers, social networks and, now, mobile devices back to a
radio. And they certainly don't want a radio in these devices."

http://insidemusicmedia.blogspot.com...-stale-fm.html

If continued lack of interest in music FMs don't kill them off, then
the new royality rates will. The whole terrestrial industry is dying.

Old October 8th 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

ups.com...
"IBOCcrock" wrote in message

[...]

The ageing and decline of AM in salable demographics goes back to the 80's,
and has simply gotton worse of late. It is an issue totally unrelated to HD.

Old October 8th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 8, 2:21?pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"IBOCcrock" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Oct 8, 1:39?pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"IBOCcrock" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

And Gen Y has abandonded FM radio for iPods, cell phones, Satellite
Radio, etc - as I said, your whole industy is screwed.

Old October 8th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"IBOCcrock" wrote in message
ps.com...

And Gen Y has abandonded FM radio for iPods, cell phones, Satellite
Radio, etc - as I said, your whole industy is screwed.

There is no evidence of this in radio listening surveys. There has been an
erosion of time spent listening going back to the late 80's, but there is no
hastening of the trend since the iPod or satellite radio became available.

Old October 8th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"IBOCcrock" wrote in message

[...]

the new royality rates will. The whole terrestrial industry is dying.- Hide quoted text -

I think you're probably right about that. People like to be in control
of their own listening, and they like to have as many choices as
possible, especially when it comes to music. FM broadcast will never
be able to keep up with the internet or with ipods and similar
devices. FM broadcast is already a dinosaur, but as we've seen many
times in this group, some people love dinosaurs--especially when those
people's professional interests are entangled with the fate of
dinosaurs.

Old October 9th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"IBOCcrock" wrote in message

[...]

dinosaurs.- Hide quoted text -

You know- I can have all my own programmed music that I want - and
the world has been able to do that since we started having 8 tracks in
cars - then cassettes - then CD's - now ipods and MP3's - but I still
like listening to the radio. Mostly - FM - some AM -- but I still -
almost always turn on the radio. I listen to the stations that play
all sorts of stuff and include commercials. I realize I am an oddity
here -- but there are still people out there that prefer to listen to
terrestial radio. It's a bit like choosing to watch non - cable TV
stations as opposed to having dozens of channels to choose from
courtesy of DISH networks. And I think - but I could be wrong - that
terrestial radio will survive. Just like AM has survived since the
advent of FM. AM is not the same animal it was - but it's still
there.