Old October 9th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Shortwave or Digital Radio Mondiale?

Hi,

I don't know whether to choose shortwave or DRM? I live in urban
Japan and want to listen to international radio. What are the
differences between the two, or which should I go for? I am very much
a beginner.

Thanks.

Old October 10th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

A concern I have is that the broadcasters mostly seem to be scaling
back shortwave. I'm wondering what's the point if DW, BBC and others
are not even available to me (if that eventuates).

My budget is, maybe, $150. I'd like to listen, in good quality
ideally, to a range of broadcasters (obviously I guess). Whichever
option gives me that, I don't mind. I live in the middle of a big
city near power lines, so I don't want to hear just noise (and btw
hypothetically then find out that BBC is unattainable where I am).

I know the BBC and others have their flaws, but I'd like to listen to
intelligent, intellectually-stimulating stuff. What else is out
there, apart from BBC, Radio Netherlands and so on?

By the way, how would I even go about getting started with DRM. The
main point, similarly although slightly different, is I don't want to
get DRM to find out the range is limited. I should add, I'm really
clueless in all this!

Old October 10th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

kangarooasia wrote:

[...]

Start with some google searches to understand more about DRM rceivers, their
availability and cost.

Look for DRM schedules to see how many broadcasts there are.

You should find that DRM receivers are generally also shortwave receivers.

You should be able to find what it takes to turn a shortwave receiver into a
DRM capable one.

Here is a link to get you started.

http://www.google.com/search?q=drm+shortwave

Old October 11th 07, 08:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 10 11 , 10:38, "Ron Baker, Pluralitas!" wrote:
"kangarooasia" wrote in message

Sounds like you are mainly interested in the program
material and not the radio aspect. If that is the case
I would suggest connecting to the live feed on their
web sites.

True, I am interested in the program aspect.

However, the internet is no go. I don't want the net at home, for
several reasons, especially because I would spend my whole life on it!

Hence, the need for shortwave or DRM.