Old October 9th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default JRC NRD 525 problem.

Just got a used NRD 525 from ebay, connected it up and it is as deaf as a
post. Just audio hash on all bands. Even local AM is dead. I also have a
Grundig 800 which receives fine on the same antenna, so it's not the aerial.
Has anyone any tips? I have turned down the squelch etc etc.
Regards,

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Old October 10th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"BDK" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Just got a used NRD 525 from ebay, connected it up and it is as deaf as a
post. Just audio hash on all bands. Even local AM is dead. I also have a
Grundig 800 which receives fine on the same antenna, so it's not the
aerial.
Has anyone any tips? I have turned down the squelch etc etc.
Regards,

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

This could be a very minor, no cost thing to fix.

Make sure it's unplugged.

Take the top off, SLOWLY, don't break the speaker lead! Unplug it, and
set the top off to the side. Look to see if one or more of the boards
has popped out during shipping. This is very common, since the radio is
shipped with a hunk of foam rubber on top of the boards originally, and
is supposed to be removed before you use the radio. Lots of times they
are still there 20 years later. If it was gone, and it probably was, the
boards can easily be popped out by the package bouncing around during
shipping.

Thanks for the advice guys, you were right BDK - it was a case of two of the
PCBs being loose on the mother board! It's OK now :-)
Simon

Old October 10th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
says...

"BDK" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
[...]

Great! You should be very happy with the radio, as long as you use an
external speaker other than the JRC one, it's not very good. The KIWA
ultimate rejection kit is worth getting and doing too.

BDK
Old October 12th 07, 10:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

= = = On Oct 9, 9:19 am, "Simon Mason"
= = = wrote:
-
- Just got a used NRD 525 from ebay,
- connected it up and it is as deaf as a post.
-
- Just audio hash on all bands. Even local AM is dead.
-
- I also have a Grundig 800 which receives fine
- on the same antenna, so it's not the aerial.
-
- Has anyone any tips?
-
- I have turned down the squelch etc etc.
-
- Regards,
-
- --
- Simon Mason
- http://www.simonmason.karoo.net
-

Simon Mason - Did you manage to find a "Fix" this 'problem' ? ~ RHF
Old October 12th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article . com, rhf-
says...
= = = On Oct 9, 9:19 am, "Simon Mason"
= = = wrote:
-
- Just got a used NRD 525 from ebay,
- connected it up and it is as deaf as a post.
-
- Just audio hash on all bands. Even local AM is dead.
-
- I also have a Grundig 800 which receives fine
- on the same antenna, so it's not the aerial.
-
- Has anyone any tips?
-
- I have turned down the squelch etc etc.
-
- Regards,
-
- --
- Simon Mason
-
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net
-

Simon Mason - Did you manage to find a "Fix" this 'problem' ? ~ RHF
.

He replied to my suggestion that one or more of the PC boards had popped
out. It's alive and well now.

BDK