Old November 25th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default rankings of international broadcasters (chime in everyone)

I would rate the international broadcasters as follows, based on
reception quality and quality of sound. Everyone else chime in:

1. Radio Netherlands
2. CRI
3. Radio Australia
4. RNZI
5. BBC

not ranked:
Deutsche Welle: A non-entity on radio these days, has pulled back too
much transmissions.

Voice of Russia: Broadcasts, but reception is absolutely terrible,
and their audio equalization has too much bass such that even when
reception is good, it is difficult to clearly understand.
Old November 25th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

tom k in L.A. wrote:
I would rate the international broadcasters as follows, based on
reception quality and quality of sound. Everyone else chime in:

1. Radio Netherlands
2. CRI
3. Radio Australia
4. RNZI
5. BBC

not ranked:
Deutsche Welle: A non-entity on radio these days, has pulled back too
much transmissions.

Voice of Russia: Broadcasts, but reception is absolutely terrible,
and their audio equalization has too much bass such that even when
reception is good, it is difficult to clearly understand.

I get them all just fine on the Sirius. I like to listen to the Coast
Guard on the HF.
Old November 25th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 25, 12:14 pm, David wrote:
tom k in L.A. wrote:

I would rate the international broadcasters as follows, based on
reception quality and quality of sound. Everyone else chime in:

1. Radio Netherlands
2. CRI
3. Radio Australia
4. RNZI
5. BBC

not ranked:
Deutsche Welle: A non-entity on radio these days, has pulled back too
much transmissions.

Voice of Russia: Broadcasts, but reception is absolutely terrible,
and their audio equalization has too much bass such that even when
reception is good, it is difficult to clearly understand.

I get them all just fine on the Sirius. I like to listen to the Coast
Guard on the HF.

I only see the BBC listen on the Sirius website.

CRI? Not much programing there I want. I rank Radio Australia and the
BBC equally, with the Netherlands a very close second. I have to
admit I haven't listen to RNZI much.
Old November 26th 07, 01:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
"tom k in L.A." wrote:

I would rate the international broadcasters as follows, based on
reception quality and quality of sound. Everyone else chime in:

1. Radio Netherlands
2. CRI
3. Radio Australia
4. RNZI
5. BBC

not ranked:
Deutsche Welle: A non-entity on radio these days, has pulled back too
much transmissions.

Voice of Russia: Broadcasts, but reception is absolutely terrible,
and their audio equalization has too much bass such that even when
reception is good, it is difficult to clearly understand.

1. Radio Netherlands
2. Radio Australia
3. Japan
4. Several USA broadcasters
5. Cuba. The music only now. The news used to be amusing.
6. A few central/south Americans. Music mostly.
7. New Zealand. I don't listen to them as much as I used to since they
started that DRM crap. Analog transmitter keeps crapping out.
8. Taiwan
9. BBC
10. Russia
11. China. They used to tell it like it is but now they are totally
dishonest these days so I don't listen to them.
12. There has to be at least 1,000,000 Chinese domestics and music
jammers. There is no avoiding them.
13. DPRK. They still tell it like it is from their very unique point of
view.
14. There is more.

I like the sound of the Russians with their retro audio and transmitter
artifacts and hum. They still sound like the good old days.

You should be able to get them OK. You must need some antenna work.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old November 26th 07, 09:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 25, 3:24 pm, David wrote:
wrote:
On Nov 25, 12:14 pm, David wrote:
tom k in L.A. wrote:

[...]

If you look at 140 (next door to the BBC World Service News-141) you'll
see the World Radio Network.

www.wrn.org

I see. So you get bits and pieces of these shortwave services. Looks
like fun.

Sirius has much better NPR coverage than XM, but I picked XM for Air
America. Fortunately, most places I visit have NPR FM so I can get All
Things Considered on the road.

Old November 26th 07, 09:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 25, 5:01 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,
"tom k in L.A." wrote:

[...]

I have recorded DPRK for people who don't have shortwave. They swear
it is a Saturday Night Live spoof.

I do like RHC. Even the news. Also Artie calling out CQ CQ.
Old November 26th 07, 12:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 25, 2:00 pm, "tom k in L.A." wrote:
I would rate the international broadcasters as follows, based on
reception quality and quality of sound. Everyone else chime in:

I would rate the international broadcasters as follows, based on
reception quality and quality of sound. Everyone else chime in:

1. WBCQ ( " Alternate " shows )
2. Radio Netherlands
3. CRI
4. Radio Australia
5 RNZI
6: WWCR ( Alex Jones at times )

not ranked:

BBC; :

A non-entity on radio these days, has pulled back too
much transmissions.

Voice of Russia: Broadcasts, but reception is absolutely terrible,
and their audio equalization has too much bass such that even when
reception is good, it is difficult to clearly understand.

Radio Havana: Horribly Boring Newscasts, droning on and on and on..

Old November 26th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Rankings of International Shortwave Radio Broadcasters (Chime inEveryone)

On Nov 25, 11:00 am, "tom k in L.A." wrote:
- I would rate the international broadcasters as follows,
- based on reception quality and quality of sound.
- Everyone else chime in:
-

Rankings of International Shortwave Radio Broadcasters
http://groups.google.com/group/short...b7ac921a7c52ac

Radio Netherlands {RNW}
http://www.radionetherlands.nl/
The English Language Shortwave Radio broadcasts are
generally Eazy to Receive Daily {Bonaire} with Good Audio.

China Radio International {CRI}
http://english.cri.cn/
The English Language Shortwave Radio broadcasts are
generally Eazy to Receive Daily with Good Audio -but-
CRI is also all over the Band in the Chinese Language
and the Reception and Audio varies greatly.

Radio Australia {ABC-RA}
http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/guide/
The English Language Shortwave Radio broadcasts are
generally Eazy to Receive Daily with Good Audio.
* Currently listening to 'In The Loop" on Radio Australia
right now on 11880 kHz @ 1745~17:57 UTC
Location : West Coast - USA - California - Twain Harte, CA.

Radio New Zealand International {RNZI}
http://www.rnzi.com/index.php
The English Language Shortwave Radio broadcasts are
generally Eazy to Receive Daily with Good Audio.

BBC World Service {BBC-WS}
The English Language Shortwave Radio broadcasts are
generally Eazy to Receive Daily with Good Audio.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/sc...es/index.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/sc...es/caribca.htm
* The BBC-WS on 9740 kHz fom Kranji in Singapore
seems to be a reliable Shortwave Signal here on
the West Coast - USA - California.

Deutsche Welle {DW} :
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/0,,266,00.html
http://www.dw-world.de/popups/popup_...2530152,00.pdf
The English Language Shortwave Radio broadcasts are
receivable Daily with Fair~Good Audio.

Voice of Russia {VOR} :
The English Language Shortwave Radio broadcasts
are receivable Daily with Fair~Good Audio.
http://www.ruvr.ru/index.php?lng=eng
http://www.ruvr.ru/main.php?lng=eng&w=129&p=
Note - Moscow Mailbag is still On-the-Air although
Joe Adamov -RIP- is no long the Host.
http://ruvr.ru/main.php?lng=eng&rt=130&p=

Voice of America {VOA} :
The English Language Shortwave Radio broadcasts are
very Eazy to Receive Daily with Very Good Audio.
http://www.voanews.com/english/portal.cfm
http://www.voanews.com/english/Selec...?lang=17&rg=AM
Hear 'The Honest Truth' About The Great Things
That The USA IS Doing -To- The World !

Radio Canada International (RCI)
http://www.rcinet.ca/rci/en/qui.shtml
Check-Out the "CBC Radio Overnight" Program Broadcast Schedule
http://www.cbc.ca/overnight/schedule.html
These English Language Shortwave Radio broadcasts are
very Eazy to Receive Daily with Very Good Audio.

PLUS - Any of these US Based Shortwave Radio Stations
[ FCC Authorized Shortwave 'HF' Radio Stations ]
can be very Eazy to Receive Daily with Very Good Audio.
http://www.fcc.gov/ib/sand/neg/hf_web/stations.html
KAIJ Dallas, TX
KFBS Northern Mariana Islands, SA
KJES Vado, NM
KNLS Anchor Point, AK
KSDA Agat, GU
KTBN Salt Lake City, UT
KTWR Agana, GU
KVOH Rancho Simi, CA
KWHR Naalehu, HI
WBCQ Monticello, ME
WEWN Vandiver, AL
WHRA Greenbush, ME
WHRI Furman, SC
WINB Red Lion, PA
WMLK Bethel, PA
WRMI Miami, FL
WRNO New Orleans, LA
WSHB Furman, SC
WTJC Newport, NC
WWBS Macon, GA
WWCR Nashville, TN
WWRB Morrison, TN
WYFR Okeechobee, FL

shortwave radio - it's about listening ~ RHF
Old December 26th 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

tom k in L.A. wrote:
I would rate the international broadcasters as follows, based on
reception quality and quality of sound. Everyone else chime in:

1. Radio Netherlands
2. CRI
3. Radio Australia
4. RNZI
5. BBC

not ranked:
Deutsche Welle: A non-entity on radio these days, has pulled back too
much transmissions.

Voice of Russia: Broadcasts, but reception is absolutely terrible,
and their audio equalization has too much bass such that even when
reception is good, it is difficult to clearly understand.

Unfortunately
99. Voice of America (the USA's shortwave broadcaster)