Old December 11th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Which would you choose?

I want to buy a world band radio for my son. I'm thinking of the Eaton 1 on
sale from Circuit City. I am also thinking of a internet wireless radio. It
would seem to me that wi-fi is the better choice. Am I missing something?
Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Frank

Old December 11th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Dec 11, 3:09 pm, "Frank103" wrote:
I want to buy a world band radio for my son. I'm thinking of the Eaton 1 on
sale from Circuit City. I am also thinking of a internet wireless radio. It
would seem to me that wi-fi is the better choice. Am I missing something?
Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Frank

Frank - How Old is your Son ?

Under 25 Years Old and has his own PC
- - - Buy the WiFi Radio

Over Age 30 and does not have his own PC
- - - Buy the Eton E1 Radio from Circuit City.

that the way i see it ~ RHF
Old December 12th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 11, 6:09�pm, "Frank103" wrote:
I want to buy a world band radio for my son. I'm thinking of the Eaton 1 on
sale from Circuit City. I am also thinking of a internet wireless radio. It
would seem to me that wi-fi is the better choice. Am I missing something?
Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Frank

What's missing, from that over-priced Eaton E1, is an internal ferrite-
bar antenna!
Old December 12th 07, 05:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

IBOCcrock wrote:

On Dec 11, 6:09�pm, "Frank103" wrote:
I want to buy a world band radio for my son. I'm thinking of the Eaton 1 on
sale from Circuit City. I am also thinking of a internet wireless radio. It
would seem to me that wi-fi is the better choice. Am I missing something?
Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Frank

What's missing, from that over-priced Eaton E1, is an internal ferrite-
bar antenna!

Funny thing..your car radio doesn't have one either. Neither does mine
and it works extremely well, especially at night and into the early
morning. The long distance AM signal reception on most car radios is
very good.

In fact, I don't know of ANY car radios that use a ferrite rod antenna.

For what The Eton E1 is now selling for, it's an absolute bargain.

mike
Old December 12th 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 12, 8:24Â*am, David wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 11, 9:18 pm, IBOCcrock wrote:
On Dec 11, 6:09�pm, "Frank103" wrote:

I want to buy a world band radio for my son. I'm thinking of the Eaton 1 on
sale from Circuit City. I am also thinking of a internet wireless radio. It
would seem to me that wi-fi is the better choice. Am I missing something?
Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Frank
What's missing, from that over-priced Eaton E1, is an internal ferrite-
bar antenna!

Funny, my $10 Sony ICF-S10MK2 AM/FM radio has one, as did all of my SW
radios before I dumped them because of all of the religious fanatics.
Bedsides, the Eaton Siht E! has cheap dials and switches.

None of my desk radios have a rod antenna, all of my portables do. Â*It
really depends more on where you plan on using it, though. Â*Inside most
modern buildings MW is iffy no matter what.

Eaton/Gundig/Tecsun radios are poor quality and are overpriced - hell,
the $150 Gundig E5 is for all purposes, the same radio as the $65
Degen 1103! I had a Grundig/TecsunEaton S350 and it was the cheapest
piece-of-**** radio that I have ever owned!
Old December 12th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 11, 6:09 pm, "Frank103" wrote:
I want to buy a world band radio for my son. I'm thinking of the Eaton 1 on
sale from Circuit City. I am also thinking of a internet wireless radio. It
would seem to me that wi-fi is the better choice. Am I missing something?
Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Frank

I think it should hinge on the interests of your son. Is he interested
in Radio or does he just want something to listen music, news, etc.
on? If the idea is to spur his interest in Radio, then the choice is a
no-brainer: get the E1 (or other real, over-the-air radio). If he
wants easy and high quality access to a lot of radio/internet audio
content, especially music, then an "internet radio" or audio bridge
makes sense.

Steve
Old December 12th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 12, 12:48Â*am, m II wrote:
IBOCcrock wrote:
On Dec 11, 6:09�pm, "Frank103" wrote:
I want to buy a world band radio for my son. I'm thinking of the Eaton 1 on
sale from Circuit City. I am also thinking of a internet wireless radio.. It
would seem to me that wi-fi is the better choice. Am I missing something?
Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Frank

What's missing, from that over-priced Eaton E1, is an internal ferrite-
bar antenna!

Funny thing..your car radio doesn't have one either. Neither does mine
and it works extremely well, especially at night and into the early
morning. The long distance AM signal reception on most car radios is
very good.

This is true, though I wonder to what extent it is true merely
because, when you're driving around in your car, you're often further
away from troublesome noise sources. I've always thought that the only
advantage of a ferrite (or, for that matter, air core) loop is what it
allows you NOT to hear (lots of local noise). I wouldn't expect a
ferrite antenna to do substantially better under really prime
conditions, except perhaps for those cases where you're wanting to
hear a station that's 'buried' beneath a second one. A couple of years
ago I spent the night in a little B&B way out in the middle of nowhere
in rural Louisiana. I couldn't believe the reception I was getting on
my little Grundig mini-world! Getting the same kind of reception at
home, though, is not so easy without some nulling capability.

Steve
Old December 12th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 12, 2:48Â*pm, Steve wrote:
On Dec 12, 12:48Â*am, m II wrote:

IBOCcrock wrote:
[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

Actually, come to think of it I think the mini-world does have a tiny
ferrite antenna, so it's not a good example. Still, it's not
surprising to think that a whip or wire in good conditions could be
more effective than a loop in a noisy environment.

Steve
Old December 13th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RHF wrote:

Dang You Are Right !

Dang You Are Right Again !

Dang You Are Right Again !

Dang You Are Right Again !

Dang You Are Right Again !

I see it merely took you a while to realize the situation. I appreciate
your recognition and thank you for public display of your true feelings.

Sincerely, mike