Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 21st 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Group: What kind of antenna? (700' outdoor telco line)

Friend of mine bought an old farmhouse in the country. A tenant 30
years ago worked for telco, and used to throw things away in the woods
behind the house. I now have approximately 700 feet of black outdoor
telco line. It looks like zipcord or 2-conductor appliance wire. It has
a *very* tough jacket; the copper hasn't oxidized *at all*. The longest
contiguous piece is 240', the second is 140'. 2 more are about 100'
each. 3 more smaller pieces. I just finished untangling it.

I live in the 'burbs. Nine 100' Loblollies; Six 80' hardwoods. Back
property edge ends in a stream, eight feet down in a gully. Wind
recently brought down my horizontal loop and my TTFD, so in effect, I'm
(mentally) starting over.

What would you do? Unzip and solder the phone line for a 1000' Beverage
fastened with zip-ties to the shrubbery above the stream? (I doubt any
neighbors would even notice the wire.)

Are there any good antenna designs that take advantage of zipcord?

-j

PS: I'm going to repair my TTFD and hang it along the stream bank. That
should provide a good ground plane, neh?

DX kind of lazy above the Mason Dixon line this time of year I AmnotGeorgeBush CB 5 December 7th 06 12:50 AM
Outdoor Scanner Antenna Scott Scanner 17 December 29th 05 12:04 AM
Outdoor Antenna Questions [email protected] Scanner 7 August 23rd 05 03:52 PM
Do you always need a ground when you use an outdoor antenna? Diverd4777 Shortwave 12 April 24th 04 06:40 PM
SW77 With Outdoor Antenna Steven P. Burrows Shortwave 3 October 25th 03 05:08 PM