Old January 5th 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default ? WHY Use RG6 Quad-Shield Coax Cable over RG8 and RG58 Coax Cables for Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL) Antenna Feed-in-Lines ?

In article ,
Billy Burpelson wrote:

RHF wrote:

Yes - Buried and Burying your Coax Cable
feed-in-line is a Very Good idea :

Why??? Any -technical- reason other than "So the lawn mower won't slice
and dice it"?

References, please...

This only works if you plant the coax next to the rutabagas.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old January 5th 08, 09:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default WHY - Bury Your Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL) Antenna's Coax CableFeed-in-Line ?

-
- Why???
- Any -technical- reason other than
- "So the lawn mower won't slice and dice it"?
-
- References, please...
-

WHY - Bury Your Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL) Antenna's
Coax Cable Feed-in-Line ?

BP - Humm, Let's See Making-a-List :

# 1 - Keeps the Lawn Mower from Slicing and Dicing my
SWL Antenna's Coax Cable feed-in-line every other Month.

# 2 - Dang - See # 1 + Safety - It's a Tripping Hazard.

# 3 - Double Dang - See # 1 + The Better-Half
Does Not Want To See "IT" In Her Garden-Yard.

FWIW - Burying the Coax Cable is simply one of the many
Synergistic Elements that goes into making a Low Noise
Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL) Antenna -a-la- John Doty

Three Rec.Radio.Shortwave Messages to Read -by- John Doty
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...bc6a2bf8acc12d
* SWL Longwire
* Low Noise Antenna Connection
* Grounding Is Key To Good Reception

iane ~ RHF
Old January 5th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RHF wrote:

FWIW - Burying the Coax Cable is simply one of the many
Synergistic Elements that goes into making a Low Noise
Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL) Antenna -a-la- John Doty

Three Rec.Radio.Shortwave Messages to Read -by- John Doty
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...bc6a2bf8acc12d

Well, "John Doty" in the reference above says:

Any *unshielded* [my emphasis added] conductor in your antenna/ground system is capable
of picking up noise: the antenna, the "lead-in" wire...

First of all, isn't the "lead-in wire" (coaxial cable in this
discussion) -shielded- ? So according to his -own- statement, coax
shouldn't have to be buried, at least from a noise mitigation viewpoint.

Doty continues:

You can keep noise currents away from the antenna by giving them
a path to ground near the house, giving antenna currents a path to
ground away from the house, and burying the the coaxial cable from
the house to the antenna.

In the 1930s, Bell Laboratories, while investigating power line
influence on telephone cables, proved that burial had NO effect on noise
being induced into the telephone cables; i.e., 20 feet of aerial
separation, from a noise standpoint, was exactly the same as 18 feet of
aerial separation plus being buried 2 feet deep.

Hmmm...should I believe "John Doty" or Bell Labs? You're a smart guy --
I'll let you figure that one out for yourself. :-)

Old January 5th 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Billy Burpelson wrote:

RHF wrote:

[...]

Or, you might believe the 1990's rather than the 1930's :-)

Old January 5th 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jan 5, 9:20*am, dxAce wrote:
Billy Burpelson wrote:
RHF wrote:

[...]

Or, you might believe the 1990's rather than the 1930's :-)- Hide quoted text -

Yeah DX Ace - Sort-of : That Was Then . . . This Is Now ! ~ RHF

WHY - Bury Your Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL) Antenna's
CoaxCable Feed-in-Line ?

Amplified Audio Frequency Signal Distribution -circa- 1930s
and the 1930s RFI-EMF Environment
- = Versus = -
Passive RF High Frequency Signal Distribution -circu- 1990s
and the 1990s RFI-EMF Environment

Old January 5th 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Billy Burpelson wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Or, you might believe the 1990's rather than the 1930's :-)

Well, I don't know about the "1990's" (isn't this the 2000s?), but it
became a big issue in the 30s due to the rapidly expanding
electrification of America.

In any event, I'm sure that even the most superficial research on your
part will show that the applicable Laws of Physics have not changed
since then.

But the ability to diagnose the debutantes, the malcontents and the faux's of SWBC certainly
have!

Old January 5th 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

dxAce wrote:
Or, you might believe the 1990's rather than the 1930's :-)

- Well, I don't know about the "1990's" (isn't this the 2000s?),
- but it became a big issue in the 30s due to the rapidly
- expanding electrification of America.

John Doty wrote his 'stuff' in the 1990s.

- In any event, I'm sure that even the most superficial research
- on your part will show that the applicable Laws of Physics
- have not changed since then.

BP -wrt- The Applicable Law of Physics:- No They Have Not.

Undeniable Fact # 1 - The Man Made RFI-EMF Environment
Has Changed Greatly : Increasing one or two Magnitudes from
the 1930s to the 1990s.

Undeniable Fact # 2 - Man's Ability to Accurately Measure the
RFI-EMF Environment and It's Effects Has Changed Greatly :
Increasing at least a Magnitude from the 1930s to the 1990s.

super-ficial-ly yours ~ RHF
Old January 5th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:
Or, you might believe the 1990's rather than the 1930's :-)

- Well, I don't know about the "1990's" (isn't this the 2000s?),
- but it became a big issue in the 30s due to the rapidly
- expanding electrification of America.

John Doty wrote his 'stuff' in the 1990s.

Exactly... therefore my comment about the debutantes, the malcontents and the faux's of SWBC.

Old January 5th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Billy Burpelson wrote:

RHF wrote:

[...]

Without agreeing or disagreeing with your arguments above don't you
think you should be able to come up with your own explanations and
understandings on the subject? Why should we read you posts when we can
just go read the person you reference? You think you somehow improve the
information?

I think reading your posts are a waste of time.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California