Old January 3rd 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Sony car shortwave radio?

Mike Terry wrote:

Any sources in the UK please?

Mike

"ve3..." wrote in message
On Jan 2, 10:21 am, "mc" wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the information!

The Power Hour announced yesterday that they had some Sony short wave
car radios to sell. They claimed that they were the only source in the
US. The phone number was 877-817-9829. I think the price was 249.95.

Here's a link:

http://www.thepowerhour.com/news3/sony_radio.htm

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 3rd 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default The Power {Hour} Mall - Sony In-Dash {Auto} AM/FM Shortwave Radiowith CD Player

On Jan 3, 8:30*am, "ve3..." wrote:
On Jan 2, 10:21*am, "mc" wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the information!

- The Power Hour announced yesterday that they had some
- Sony short wave car radios to sell. They claimed that they
- were the only source in the US. The phone number was
- 1-877-817-9829. I think the price was 249.95.

VE3 - This may be technically correct.

ABOUT - The Power Hour on Shortwave Radio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_Hour
THE POWER HOUR - http://www.thepowerhour.com/
Welcome to The Power Hour with Joyce Riley and Dave VonKleist!
http://www.thepowerhour.com/welcome.htm#
CopyRight © 2007 - The Power Hour - All Rights Reserved.

WWCR Shortwave Program Guide - Monday ~ Friday
http://www.wwcr.com/wwcr_program/ProgGuide.htm
"The Power Hour" with Joyce Riley and Dave VonKleist

KAIJ Shortwave Program Guide - Monday ~ Friday
http://24.151.207.180/k/kaij/pages/programs.php
"The Power Hour" with Joyce Riley and Dave VonKleist

The Power {Hour} Mall - http://www.thepowermall.com/
* Sony Car Radio - Model # CDX-GT160S
http://www.thepowerhour.com/news3/sony_radio.htm
Sony In-Dash {Auto} AM/FM Shortwave Radio with CD Player
CopyRight © ThePowerMall.com

as always more than you wanted to know ~ RHF
Old January 3rd 08, 08:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default The Shortwave Store {USA} -aka- Durham Radio {Canada} : Sony In-Dash{Auto-Car} AM & FM-Stereo Shortwave Radios

On Jan 3, 8:30 am, "ve3..." wrote:
On Jan 2, 10:21 am, "mc" wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the information!

- The Power Hour announced yesterday that they had some
- Sony short wave car radios to sell. They claimed that they
- were the only source in the US. The phone number was
- 1-877-817-9829. I think the price was 249.95.

VE3 - This also may be technically correct since :

The Shortwave Store : Shortwave Receivers :
- - - Car Stereos with Shortwave - - -
http://www.shortwavestore.com/sws/home.php?cat=42
The Shortwave Store - Sony In-Dash {Auto} AM/FM Shortwave Radios
* Sony Model # CDXGT260S
* Sony Model # CDXGT360S
Technically these are Auto-Car AM & FM-Stereo Shortwave* Radios
with MP3 + WMA + CD Player and MP3 Player Input Jack.
* Note the Shortwave Radio Band Coverage is in two Bands
SW1 : 2,940 - 7,735 kHz = 120m, 90m, 75m, 60m, 49m, 41m
SW2 : 9,500 - 18,135 kHz = 31m, 25m, 22m, 19m, 16m
Except for SW2 the Frequency Range : 10,140 - 11,575 kHz
is not covered by these Radios.

The Shortwave Store - http://www.shortwavestore.com/
http://www.shortwavestore.com/sws/home.php
Is actually : Durham Radio Sales & Service Inc. {Canada}

-dba- The Shortwave Store from Canada not the USA.
http://www.shortwavestore.com/sws/he...us&mode=update
Address : 10-1380 Hopkins St.,
Whitby, Ontario L1N 2C3 -Canada-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitby%2C_Ontario
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Whitby...i=map&ct=title

Telephone International : 905-665-5466
Area Code "905" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_code_905
Telephone Dialing Area Code 905 is for South Central Ontario, Canada.

The Shortwave Store "Shortwave Radios and More"
Copyright (c) 1993-2008 The Shortwave Store
All Rights Reserved - Durham Radio Sales & Service Inc.

as always more than you wanted to know ~ RHF
Old January 3rd 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

Mike Terry wrote:

Any sources in the UK please?

Mike

"ve3..." wrote in message
On Jan 2, 10:21 am, "mc" wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the information!

The Power Hour announced yesterday that they had some Sony short wave
car radios to sell. They claimed that they were the only source in the
US. The phone number was 877-817-9829. I think the price was 249.95.

Here's a link:

http://www.thepowerhour.com/news3/sony_radio.htm

I made an attempt to look up the specs on this radio and could not find anything
related to shortwave. The only thing the 'S' denotes in the model number is the
fact that it's silver in colour.

Buyer beware!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 3rd 08, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message
http://www.thepowerhour.com/news3/sony_radio.htm

I made an attempt to look up the specs on this radio and could not find
anything
related to shortwave. The only thing the 'S' denotes in the model number
is the
fact that it's silver in colour.

Buyer beware!

It does indeed have SW, though I can't find any detailed information from
Sony as to what frequency range(s) it has. This link does say it has 12
presets for SW, though.

http://www.sony-asia.com/product/cdx...ite=hp_en_AP_i

Old January 3rd 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"dxAce" wrote in message
http://www.thepowerhour.com/news3/sony_radio.htm

I made an attempt to look up the specs on this radio and could not find
anything
related to shortwave. The only thing the 'S' denotes in the model number
is the
fact that it's silver in colour.

Buyer beware!

It does indeed have SW, though I can't find any detailed information from
Sony as to what frequency range(s) it has. This link does say it has 12
presets for SW, though.

http://www.sony-asia.com/product/cdx...ite=hp_en_AP_i

I hate links that are only good once....

You need to go to the Sony Asia site, choose in-car entertainment, CD
receivers, and choose the model number.

Old January 3rd 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brenda Ann wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message
http://www.thepowerhour.com/news3/sony_radio.htm

I made an attempt to look up the specs on this radio and could not find
anything
related to shortwave. The only thing the 'S' denotes in the model number
is the
fact that it's silver in colour.

Buyer beware!

It does indeed have SW, though I can't find any detailed information from
Sony as to what frequency range(s) it has. This link does say it has 12
presets for SW, though.

http://www.sony-asia.com/product/cdx...ite=hp_en_AP_i

Interesting! I had looked at that page, but didn't notice what you've seen. Click on the
specs however and it seems to make no mention of SW.

Old January 3rd 08, 08:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

Brenda Ann wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message
http://www.thepowerhour.com/news3/sony_radio.htm

I made an attempt to look up the specs on this radio and could not find
anything
related to shortwave. The only thing the 'S' denotes in the model
number
is the
fact that it's silver in colour.

Buyer beware!

It does indeed have SW, though I can't find any detailed information from
Sony as to what frequency range(s) it has. This link does say it has 12
presets for SW, though.

http://www.sony-asia.com/product/cdx...ite=hp_en_AP_i

Interesting! I had looked at that page, but didn't notice what you've
seen. Click on the
specs however and it seems to make no mention of SW.

Apparently, it's not a major sellling point. Notice on the box on the
original link, it does say SW also.

Old January 3rd 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

mc wrote:

Sony makes a car stereo system that includes shortwave radio. How well does
it perform? Would I actually be able to hear at least the major
international outlets (BBC, RCI, etc.) while driving across town?

snip
This got me looking for alternatives; a quick web search produced references
to the Becker Europa radio, (presumably DIN form factor) which includes
shortwave in various models covering at least 40 years.

Here is a photo of a vintage version:
http://www.mbzponton.org/images/mb_r...a_TR_190SL.jpg

Here is an eBay listing of a more current version (quite inexpensive):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Becke...spagenameZWDVW

Also quite popular were converters; one of the most visually attractive
was made by Reims and had pushbutton selection of various band segments.
www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/other/radios.htm (scan down the page)

There certainly were aftermarket converters for continuous SW coverage with features
to be found in communication receivers; but the Reims unit seems to be one
of the few stock options available for a car.

Anyone know of other brands or options for various automobile makes?

Regards,

Michael

Old January 4th 08, 02:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jan 3, 12:55*pm, "Brenda Ann" wrote:
"dxAce" wrote in message

http://www.sony-asia.com/product/cdx...60s%252F%252Fc...

Interesting! I had looked at that page, but didn't notice what you've
seen. Click on the
specs however and it seems to make no mention of SW.

Apparently, it's not a major sellling point. Notice on the box on the
original link, it does say SW also.- Hide quoted text -

FO&A,

Since the Basic Model Numbers are CDX-GTxxxS
http://www.sony.com.sg/productcatego...ite=hp_en_SG_i

All Three Compared - http://tinyurl.com/23cre3
1 - Sony Model # CDX-GT160S
2 - Sony Model # CDX-GT260S
3 - Sony Model # CDX-GT360S

Could the "S" at the end of the Model Number
simply mean 'Shortwave' ?

I would suspect that the Shortwave Radio Frequency
Coverage would be the same for all :
SW1 : 2,940 - 7,735 kHz = 120m, 90m, 75m, 60m, 49m, 41m
SW2 : 9,500 - 18,135 kHz = 31m, 25m, 22m, 19m, 16m
Except for SW2 the Frequency Range : 10,140 - 11,575 kHz
is not covered by these Radios.

eBay.Co.HK {Hong Kong} is an alternative source
for these Sony CDX-GTxxxS Radios
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sear...e=Sony+CDX-GT*

Example Sony Model # CDX-GT160S
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQitemZ220161510338
Price : £62.99 + S&H £22.99 = £86 = US$170

Also eBay Australia has some of these
Sony CDX-GTxxxS Radios
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/_W0QQitemZ190140690426
Price : AU$145 + S&H AU$45 = AU$190 = US$167

~ RHF