Old January 4th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Sony car shortwave radio?

On Jan 3, 1:23*pm, msg wrote:
mc wrote:
Sony makes a car stereo system that includes shortwave radio. *How well does
it perform? *Would I actually be able to hear at least the major
international outlets (BBC, RCI, etc.) while driving across town?

snip
This got me looking for alternatives; a quick web search produced references
to the Becker Europa radio, (presumably DIN form factor) which includes
shortwave in various models covering at least 40 years.

Here is a photo of a vintage version:
* *http://www.mbzponton.org/images/mb_r...a_TR_190SL.jpg

Here is an eBay listing of a more current version (quite inexpensive):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Becke..._W0QQcmdZViewI...

Also quite popular were converters; one of the most visually attractive
was made by Reims and had pushbutton selection of various band segments.
* *http://www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/...dios.htm*(scan down the page)

There certainly were aftermarket converters for continuous SW coverage with features
to be found in communication receivers; but the Reims unit seems to be one
of the few stock options available for a car.

Anyone know of other brands or options for various automobile makes?

Regards,

Michael

Becker Radio$ Expen$ive ?

What was it they use to say many years ago . . .

The only 'acce$$ory' that you could get with your
Becker Radio is a Mercede$ Benz ! ) ~ RHF
Old January 4th 08, 09:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

G'day,
Sorry, I'm not near the vehicles, however from memory I believe
RHF's post was fairly accurate if not pretty dam close:

Coverage would be the same for all :
SW1 : 2,940 - 7,735 kHz = 120m, 90m, 75m, 60m, 49m, 41m
SW2 : 9,500 - 18,135 kHz = 31m, 25m, 22m, 19m, 16m
Except for SW2 the Frequency Range : 10,140 - 11,575 kHz
is not covered by these Radios.

As if I remember correctly I can't quiet tune in ABC Alice Springs which
is 2310 khz. But I've tune 4, 5, 6, 9, 11, 12, 13, 15, 17 mhz Shortwave
stations Even heard the ham operators on 14 mhz but obviously it
hasn't got SSB

Regards
Mark

Brenda Ann wrote:
"AussieDrifter" wrote in message
Well the wifes radio finally died in her Suzuki ~2 months back, so we
went to the local auto shop (Supercheap) and too my surprise there was
the Sony CDX-GT160 SW/AM/FM radio.

Could you cue us in as to the band(s) covered on SW?

Location: Canberra Australia
Radio: Icom R75 with DSP options
Antenna: Cliff Dweller 2
Website: http://aussiedrifter.blogspot.com/

Listen Live via USTREAM.TV:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/aussie...wave-listening
Old January 26th 08, 07:59 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
msg wrote:
mc wrote:

This got me looking for alternatives; a quick web search produced references
to the Becker Europa radio, (presumably DIN form factor) which includes
shortwave in various models covering at least 40 years.

Sorry, I've forgotten what the various car radio form factors are,
so this might not be the right one for you, but a company in Florida
called Continental Imports sells the Becker Mexico:

http://www.continentalimports.com/be_radios.html

I got the cassette version 2-3 years ago, and it has very good
sensitivity. (Except when my antenna connection goes loose, but
that's another story...)

Patty

Old January 26th 08, 09:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jan 25, 11:59*pm, Patty Winter wrote:
In article ,

msg wrote:
mc wrote:

This got me looking for alternatives; a quick web search produced references
to the Becker Europa radio, (presumably DIN form factor) which includes
shortwave in various models covering at least 40 years.

Sorry, I've forgotten what the various car radio form factors are,
so this might not be the right one for you, but a company in Florida
called Continental Imports sells the Becker Mexico:

http://www.continentalimports.com/be_radios.html

I got the cassette version 2-3 years ago, and it has very good
sensitivity. (Except when my antenna connection goes loose, but
that's another story...)

Patty

Becker Radio$ used to be Expen$ive

Old January 27th 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 1, 9:05*pm, "mc" wrote:
Sony makes a car stereo system that includes shortwave radio. *How well does
it perform? *Would I actually be able to hear at least the major
international outlets (BBC, RCI, etc.) while driving across town?

I'm a ham and have been an avid SWL in the past -- away from it recently -- *
but am also a linguist and would like to hear various languages regularly
(including something in Spanish with more intellectual content than the
local hit parade, or whatever it is). *I understand that this radio would
not be for serious DXing.

Any experiences? *Thanks.

Start your own online business. Sell ebooks/software. Full reprint
rights. http://www.fastdatacash.com/in.php?ix=1959

Make money with your own website. Keep 100% of all profits.
http://www.fastdatacash.com/in.php?ix=1959

Earn tons of cash online selling ebooks/software. http://www.fastdatacash.com/in.php?ix=1959

The best online income opportunity. Operate your own ebusiness.
http://www.fastdatacash.com/in.php?ix=1959

Earn big money by selling ebooks/software with your own website. Keep
all profits for yourself. http://www.fastdatacash.com/in.php?ix=1959

Old September 3rd 19, 11:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tuesday, January 1, 2008 at 6:05:04 PM UTC-8, mc wrote:
Sony makes a car stereo system that includes shortwave radio. How well does
it perform? Would I actually be able to hear at least the major
international outlets (BBC, RCI, etc.) while driving across town?

I'm a ham and have been an avid SWL in the past -- away from it recently --
but am also a linguist and would like to hear various languages regularly
(including something in Spanish with more intellectual content than the
local hit parade, or whatever it is). I understand that this radio would
not be for serious DXing.

Any experiences? Thanks.

I have the 2 band Sony xplod but SW is just static.
Can I put antenna inFront input jack or what do I do?
Ignoramus about SW
Old September 4th 19, 05:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 3:10:34 PM UTC-7, wrote:

I have the 2 band Sony xplod but SW is just static.
Can I put antenna inFront input jack or what do I do?

I had a DC777 in my previous car. I found that the most important thing for reducing ignition noise was to make sure the coax was well-grounded to the car chassis where it connected to the exterior antenna. This was not necessary to receive the local stations on the AM and FM bands, but it was absolutely required for SW reception. The antenna was mounted on the rear fender, so this may have helped since it was as far away from the engine as possible.

I was able to get all the usual powerhouse broadcasters (BBC, RHC, VoA) from my QTH in the SF bay area, and even some of the less common broadcasters like Radio Singapore, VOA Trincomalee, and BBC Ascension Island. As usual, the time of day and the propagation conditions were important. I never tried to go for real exotic DX while I was driving.

I don’t think you need to worry too much about sensitivity because the car will have a high electronic noise floor (making it harder to receive weak signals) and because of the high acoustic noise. My guess is that your Sony will be more limited by your installation rather than its intrinsic technical capabilities.
Old September 4th 19, 09:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tue, 03 Sep 2019 15:10:32 -0700, nornornorman wrote:

+AD4 I have the 2 band Sony xplod but SW is just static.
+AD4 Can I put antenna inFront input jack or what do I do? Ignoramus about SW

There really isn't much SW broadcasting anymore. You can try scanning the bands with the car not running. The usual thing to try is lower frequencies, say below 9 Mhz during the evening and higher frequencies during the day. There can be local exceptions, such as Toronto's CFRB, at 6.something Mhz frequently makes it to the Chicago area in the afternoons. If your radio can receive 5, 10, 15 and/or 20 Mhz, try tuning in the time station WWV. They broadcast 24/7 on those frequencies.

Try the radio with the key in the accessory position and the car parked as far from buildings and power lines as reasonably possible.

I'm assuming the existing antenna is OK. During the evenings, you should be able to hear many out of town AM stations in between the local powerhouse AM stations, if the antenna is OK.