Old January 4th 08, 02:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default shortwave radio attenas and radio shack

Art Harris wrote:
David Mills wrote:
I have been to radio shack several times over the years inquiring about
antennas for short wave radios. I always get a rather blank response and
they never seem to have anything. They sell shortwave radios...so why not
sell good external antennas? perhaps Radio Shack isn't as good as one might
hope!

Well, the best external shortwave antennas are pretty simple and made
of ordinary wire. Try a 50 to 100 foot length of 14 gauge stranded
wire. Home Depot might be a better option.

http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Antennas/Shortwave/

Art Harris N2AH

14 g is pretty thick for a wire antenna. I use ca. 20 g.
Old January 4th 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 3, 10:54*pm, Scott Nelson
wrote:
No, I just know a dead horse when I see it.

Technology evolves. *Radio was a great technology. *WAS. *8-track tapes
were better than sliced bread back in the 60s and 70s. *Time marches on.

I love listening to international broadcasters. *I have a Wi-Fi system
setup and it streams to my stereo. *The BBC never sounded so good. *I
can easily record the shows digitally if I like and transfer them to an
Ipod or other MP3 player.

Look at the progress that's been made in the last 5 years with computer
technology. *It won't be long and handheld wifi devices will be every
where and cars will be equipped with internet radios.

You can string out all the longwire you want. *More power to you. *The
only problem is that there won't be anything to listen to.

Now that is unusual. With a 30 inch whip antenna I was able to hear
lots of stations on shortwave last night. You need to do less writing
on the internet and more real listening.

Regarding whether "Radio Was a Great Technology" I find the AM and FM
dial full of stations. DXing the AM dial for stations 1,000 miles
away is still a lot of fun.
Old January 4th 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David wrote:

Art Harris wrote:
David Mills wrote:
I have been to radio shack several times over the years inquiring about
antennas for short wave radios. I always get a rather blank response and
they never seem to have anything. They sell shortwave radios...so why not
sell good external antennas? perhaps Radio Shack isn't as good as one might
hope!

Well, the best external shortwave antennas are pretty simple and made
of ordinary wire. Try a 50 to 100 foot length of 14 gauge stranded
wire. Home Depot might be a better option.

http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Antennas/Shortwave/

Art Harris N2AH

14 g is pretty thick for a wire antenna. I use ca. 20 g.

Be a man! I use 10 g.

Old January 4th 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Radioguy wrote:

Regarding whether "Radio Was a Great Technology" I find the AM and FM
dial full of stations. DXing the AM dial for stations 1,000 miles
away is still a lot of fun.

Especially if you're a George Noory/Ian Punit [sic] fan.
Old January 4th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

David wrote:

Art Harris wrote:
David Mills wrote:
I have been to radio shack several times over the years inquiring about
antennas for short wave radios. I always get a rather blank response and
they never seem to have anything. They sell shortwave radios...so why not
sell good external antennas? perhaps Radio Shack isn't as good as one might
hope!
Well, the best external shortwave antennas are pretty simple and made
of ordinary wire. Try a 50 to 100 foot length of 14 gauge stranded
wire. Home Depot might be a better option.

http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Antennas/Shortwave/

Art Harris N2AH

14 g is pretty thick for a wire antenna. I use ca. 20 g.

Be a man! I use 10 g.

I'd rather be a retard, if a man be you.

Old January 4th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 4, 1:14*pm, David wrote:
Radioguy wrote:

Regarding whether "Radio Was a Great Technology" I find the AM and FM
dial full of stations. *DXing the AM dial for stations 1,000 miles
away is still a lot of fun.

Especially if you're a George Noory/Ian Punit [sic] fan.

Have no idea who those people are. The Canadian MW stations are a
nice catch.
Old January 5th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Scott Nelson wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
Scott Nelson wrote:

No, I just know a dead horse when I see it.

Technology evolves. Radio was a great technology. WAS. 8-track tapes
were better than sliced bread back in the 60s and 70s. Time marches on.

I love listening to international broadcasters. I have a Wi-Fi system
setup and it streams to my stereo. The BBC never sounded so good. I
can easily record the shows digitally if I like and transfer them to an
Ipod or other MP3 player.

Look at the progress that's been made in the last 5 years with computer
technology. It won't be long and handheld wifi devices will be every
where and cars will be equipped with internet radios.

You can string out all the longwire you want. More power to you. The
only problem is that there won't be anything to listen to.

How wonderful. Go post someplace else.

It always amuses me when someone can't come up with anything intelligent
to say they always use the old "go post someplace else" routine. Are
you the kid who always said, "I'm taking my toys and going home"?

When someone can't think at all they come up with off topic drivel.

Go post someplace else if shortwave radio does not interest you idiot.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old January 5th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Scott Nelson wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,

On 2008-01-03 11:03:13 -0500, "David Mills" said:

I have been to radio shack several times over the years inquiring about
antennas for short wave radios. I always get a rather blank response and
they never seem to have anything. They sell shortwave radios...so why not
sell good external antennas? perhaps Radio Shack isn't as good as one
might
hope!

Radio Shack hires idiots. Go elsewhere, the net has lots of shortwave
stuff.
Shortwave is dying. Why would any store want to carry what's dead?

Same reason a moron would post this drivel to rec.radio.shortwave

Only the occasional pocket protector guy is looking for shortwave antennas.

And you are a highly paid supermarket stock boy.

Streaming audio from the international broadcasters is where it's at.
Come on get into the 21st century -- computers, wi-fi, gps. You are
looking for Dixie cups and string.

Yeah, you go key-clown. Why not get together with David and take a few a
few hits off the pipe. It will all be better then.

Wow. Judging by your, and I use the term lightly, "intelligent" remarks
I must have hit a nerve. When people have no argument, they attack the
person instead of the issue. You just proved my point.

Chill out and go listen to the static.

Judging by your worthless remarks you have no interest in the newsgroup
and you are just a Trolling moron. Go find a news group that matches
your interests. I'm sure such a novel concept never occurred to you
before before but go with it anyway.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old January 5th 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article , David
wrote:

dxAce wrote:

David wrote:

Art Harris wrote:
David Mills wrote:
I have been to radio shack several times over the years inquiring about
antennas for short wave radios. I always get a rather blank response and
they never seem to have anything. They sell shortwave radios...so why
not
sell good external antennas? perhaps Radio Shack isn't as good as one
might
hope!
Well, the best external shortwave antennas are pretty simple and made
of ordinary wire. Try a 50 to 100 foot length of 14 gauge stranded
wire. Home Depot might be a better option.

http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Antennas/Shortwave/

Art Harris N2AH

14 g is pretty thick for a wire antenna. I use ca. 20 g.

Be a man! I use 10 g.

I'd rather be a retard, if a man be you.

It looks to most people that you got your wish.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California