RadioBanter

-   -   iBiquity HD Radio Status (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/129702-ibiquity-hd-radio-status.html)

Frank Dresser January 24th 08 03:13 PM

iBiquity HD Radio Status

"tom k in L.A." wrote in message

no, but i did listen to the new sony hd tabletop radio at the store in
manhattan and it sounded awesome. it was the 1st time I truly heard a
difference and it was substantial.

Were you listening to an AM station or a FM station?

Frank Dresser

Frank Dresser January 24th 08 03:49 PM

iBiquity HD Radio Status

"Rfburns" wrote in message

[good questions snipped]

How long will it take fior the noise to stop, etc?

jw

The IBOC noise won't stop until the broadcasters are convinced there is no
worthwhile demand for either "HD/crystal clear" radio or subscription radio.
I think pay radio has more potential than HD radio.

Pay radio schemes don't have to leave the listeners with normal radios
completely in the dark. NPR is supposed to be considering a plan in which a
free channel and a subscription channel would mostly simulcast during pledge
drives. But, when the pledge breaks comes up, the subscribers would hear
normal programming and people with normal radios would hear something like
"Pay up, you cheapskates, and you won't have to hear these damn beg-athons
anymore!"

Frank Dresser

Pete KE9OA January 24th 08 07:49 PM

iBiquity HD Radio Status

Interesting thing about IBOC.............I e-mailed Senator Durbin about the
IBOC interference on the MW band. I did receive a reply yesterday, thanking
me for bringing up my concerns. He talked about high prices of broadband
internet, and everything
EXCEPT IBOC. A true politician.

Pete

RHF January 25th 08 06:57 AM

iBiquity HD Radio Status

On Jan 24, 11:49*am, "Pete KE9OA" wrote:
- Interesting thing about IBOC.............
- I e-mailed Senator Durbin about the IBOC interference
- on the MW band. I did receive a reply yesterday,
- thanking me for bringing up my concerns.
- He talked about high prices of broadband internet,
- and everything EXCEPT IBOC. A true politician.
-
- Pete
-

-Translation-
American Citizen/Taxpayer - Your Concerns Do No Matter.
As You Elected Leader - I Know What Is Good For You.

the power elite ~ RHF

RHF January 25th 08 07:02 AM

Hello Tom K in LA : iBiquity HD Radio Status

On Jan 24, 7:13*am, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:
"tom k in L.A." wrote in ...

no, but i did listen to the new sony hd tabletop radio at the store in
manhattan and it sounded awesome. *it was the 1st time I truly heard a
difference and it was substantial.

- Were you listening to an AM station or a FM station?
-
- Frank Dresser

FD - Lets Try One More Time ~ RHF

Hello Tom K in LA,

Were You Listening to an AM "HD" {Digital} Broadcast ?

-or-

Were You Listening to an FM "HD" {Digital} Broadcast ?

~ RHF

Chuck Forsberg January 25th 08 06:25 PM

iBiquity HD Radio Status

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:49:31 -0800, Rfburns wrote:

Anyone know the current status of the HD radio implementation that has
been forced upon us? How many receivers were sold during the Xmas
season? How many new stations have started or terminated transmitting?
How long will it take fior the noise to stop, etc?

jw

I have a Yamaha 4600 receiver and JVC car radio with HD radio.

On AM, only 1190 KEX broadcasts in HD. KEX is a talk radio station
with little stereo content. A few commercials are in stereo and
they really jump out. HD audio sound quality is similar to analog
on a 680NAB tuner.

Quite a few FM stations have HD. I listen to all classical KBPS.
Sound quality is indistinguishable between FM and HD except for
the noise floor. KBPS compresses the HD signal just as much as
the analog signal.

The non HD AM reception on the JVC car radio sucks. Reception is
weak and the audio is poor. HD sound is fine, but the least bit
or powerline interferece knocks the radio back to muffled analog.

HD FM on the JVC car radio is weak, dropping back to analog at the
slightest provocation.

I would like to see a Ramsey kit am transmitter with HD.

--
/u/caf/signature.txt

Frank Dresser January 25th 08 09:17 PM

iBiquity HD Radio Status

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
. ..
Interesting thing about IBOC.............I e-mailed Senator Durbin about

the
IBOC interference on the MW band. I did receive a reply yesterday,

thanking
me for bringing up my concerns. He talked about high prices of broadband
internet, and everything
EXCEPT IBOC. A true politician.

Pete

Hmm. I'm sure if Senator Durbin had given this issue a moment's thought,
he'd realize it's unfair to force poor people to pay for their IBOC radios.
The Republicans would then counter that the only fair give-away would
include guys like Warren Buffet and Bill Gates.

Both parties would agree that it's grossly unfair to expect the current
generation of voters to pay for anything, but we would be happy to borrow
the money from our eternal pals, the Saudi Arabians and the Commie Chinese.

Frank Dresser

Pete KE9OA January 25th 08 09:29 PM

iBiquity HD Radio Status

Are there any HD radios that actually have a good AM front end. We have the
Boston Acoustic non-HD clock radio. While the AM band has very good
sensitivity, the adjacent channel selectvity is a bit wide. Also, the LO
isn't very clean....early evenings, I can hear 49 Meter stations coming in
around 950kHz. This is because of mixer products occuring from the 5th
harmonic of the LO. This is even while using an external tuned loop antenna.
Inexcusably poor design, from an RF standpoint.
I wanted to clean up the design a bit.........when I called Boston Acoustic
and asked for a schematic, I was told "we don't release that kind of
information". Translation? We want to continue selling junk to the public,
and we don't want anybody improving our poor electrical design. Needless to
say, I never bought another Boston Acoustic product. Come to think of it,
their speakers were never anything to write home about either.

Pete

RHF January 25th 08 11:10 PM

iBiquity HD Radio Status

On Jan 25, 1:32*pm, "Pete KE9OA" wrote:
It would be nice if we actually had some leaders that actually care. He was
one of 4 or 5 people in Congress that I e-mailed about this
situation...........I never heard from any of the others. They must be to
busy to listen to the people.

Pete

Pete - Now There Is A Bright Idea : Having The People's Elected
Representatives Actually Listening To The People They Serve !

Nah It Will Never Work - The Power Élite Believe That Only They
Know What Is Right For The People [.]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite
http://www.socialstudieshelp.com/APGOV_Power_Elite.htm

"The Power Elite" -by- C.Wright Mills - Oxford Press, 1956
http://thirdworldtraveler.com/Book_E...owerElite.html

power to the people - up with people ~ RHF

Brenda Ann January 25th 08 11:27 PM

iBiquity HD Radio Status

"Chuck Forsberg" wrote in message

On AM, only 1190 KEX broadcasts in HD. KEX is a talk radio station
with little stereo content. A few commercials are in stereo and
they really jump out. HD audio sound quality is similar to analog
on a 680NAB tuner.

KEX and KGW used to sound great in AMS. Should have stuck with it.

Quite a few FM stations have HD. I listen to all classical KBPS.
Sound quality is indistinguishable between FM and HD except for
the noise floor. KBPS compresses the HD signal just as much as
the analog signal.

I used to listen to KBPS (both AM and FM... AM mostly on my telephone, since
I was about 4 blocks from Benson Tech) and KMHD quite a bit. Classical is
getting very hard to find. Anyone who uses compression on classical should
be strung between two of the antenna bays and covered with some substance
that attracts eagles and hawks.

The non HD AM reception on the JVC car radio sucks. Reception is
weak and the audio is poor. HD sound is fine, but the least bit
or powerline interferece knocks the radio back to muffled analog.

HD FM on the JVC car radio is weak, dropping back to analog at the
slightest provocation.

I would like to see a Ramsey kit am transmitter with HD.

I can see the range now.... connect the antenna directly to your radio for
reception. :) I'd sooner see them do one for AMS... like the one that Chris
Cuff built, but with a bit more range.